Sign in to follow this  
Colner

White Powder (Mould, Not Drugs)

Hi all,

We last used our caravan just before Christmas. Two weekend trips away in Jan and Feb had to be cancelled at short notice so it's been 3 months since it was last used.

When I went to our caravan storage today, I was gutted to find a white powder on most of the woodwork. It looks like mould in the patterns it makes but it's white rather than green or black.

It was also inside most of the cupboards so I spent 4 hours emptying and scrubbing it today with Mould/Mildew spray and I'm only half way through it unfortunately. Back again tomorrow no doubt!

All the windows were shut along with the skylights and I had one of those crystal bath things, which was full of water. I've had the windows open today, the heating on and a gas hob on full power for 4 hours and have left all windows and skylights on the latch overnight.

Any ideas what the white stuff is and the best way to stop it from reoccuring? I don't like the idea of leaving all the windows half open to be honest. ..

We have booked 4 nights in the Lakes at Easter so I could do with getting it all back to normal if possible.

Many thanks

Brian.

No idea rally what it is, but white is or could be salt, were you at coast area on your last outing, possibly damp air at the time. or your crystal bath has sweated.

Just a guess.

Hi Zen,

Yes it looked like salt but we have never been near the coast. Wondering now if it was the humidity crystals that we tried using. ..

"All the windows were shut along with the skylights"

There was your problem You need air flow.

There was another thread on this a few days ago. I also keep my windows etc. closed over the winter and have done for the past 13 years of caravanning. However for some reason this winter we have experienced the same thing, never had it before.

Mark.

There seems to be a pattern here, there has been a few posted with a similar problem, all seem to be putting it down to the constant rain and damp conditions we have suffered for months.

Edited by Digger_07
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone, heading back up there soon to finish cleaning it off and I'm hoping that it hasn't returned on the woodwork I did yesterday.

Will leave the skylights on the latch and also the kitchen window to give it a bit of airflow. I'll post a photo of the white powder when I get back later. ..

Thanks again

Brian.

A few photos for anyone that's interested, definitely a mould type pattern but made up of a white powder.

post-75132-0-76796000-1457884687_thumb.jpg

post-75132-0-82267800-1457884695_thumb.jpg

post-75132-0-15377400-1457884704_thumb.jpg

post-75132-0-91324600-1457884705_thumb.jpg

Very similar to what ours looked like Brian except ours was green with black bits in large circles, hadn't visited ours since December but even so, in all our years caravanning have never seen this before, did leave a bit more ventilation when we left it last week and just hoping it won't be there when we go back next month. Had to clean everything before we could sleep in it which did worry me :( hope yours stays mould free now, wonder why this mould is different colours?

• Like 1

We had this when we used a cover on our van it put me off covers and I would never use it again . It is a form of mould .

• Like 1

Are they not spores ? Take care when cleaning that you wear protection .

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/caravan-advice/damp/five-harmful-effects-of-mould-and-mildew

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone, looking at that list of Hazards - l already had number 4 ;)