Sign in to follow this  
Gordon

Skiing In The U K

Just returned from my third trip skiing this year in Scotland!

First attempt about a month ago doesn't count as it rained all week, and we returned home early having not put the skis on once!

Second attempt a couple of weeks back was more successful, and we got some good skiing in, both on the Cairngorms above Aviemore and, on the day the weather changed for the worse, at the Nevis Range.

Third visit earlier this week was absolutely spot on as the pictures below will show. Back home now, but looking at Cairngorm website this morning, I should have stayed longer because after some "variable" weather forecasts and tales of doom we now read on the website this morning,"Are you ready? No wind, -3. 0C, Visibility 110 miles, See you all soon".

Gordon.

A couple of weeks ago

Skiing - WP_20160223_018.jpg

Last Monday 7th March

Skiing - WP_20160307_011.jpg

Last Monday 7th March

Skiing - WP_20160307_015.jpg

Last Monday 7th March

Skiing - WP_20160307_016.jpg

How it should be done

Skiing - WP_20160307_017.jpg

How it often is done

Skiing - WP_20160307_018.jpg

• Like 1

Looks awesome! I've often wondered how good it is up there, I always end up in France (which I don't mind!). I had a huge accident out there in Jan though and smashed my leg bones needing an 8 hour reconstruction. Still non weight bearing too. Call me daft but it hasn't put me off winter sports although I may snow shoe next time for a few years and then attempt some green pistes. Haha!
To be fair, mine was a freakish accident and while I agree that skiing is higher risk, all sports carry risk.
I'd much rather a snow holiday than a beach one though, they are much nicer in my opinion. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Rob,

As you say, there's risk in most walks of life, the trick is to minimise them to a level acceptable to you. I personally prefer the green and blue runs generally, as I'm not out to prove anything, just to enjoy myself. If you're up for a reasonable red run though, there's always the "White Lady" in the Cairngorms, or if you're really mad, the dreaded "West Wall".

Not so much snow this year in Scotland. In past years I've known the Ptarmigan eatery (the building in the photo) at the mountain top to be completely burried.

Take care, and don't overdo it before you're fully recovered.

Gordon.

• Like 1

Rob,

As you say, there's risk in most walks of life, the trick is to minimise them to a level acceptable to you. I personally prefer the green and blue runs generally, as I'm not out to prove anything, just to enjoy myself. If you're up for a reasonable red run though, there's always the "White Lady" in the Cairngorms, or if you're really mad, the dreaded "West Wall".

Not so much snow this year in Scotland. In past years I've known the Ptarmigan eatery (the building in the photo) at the mountain top to be completely burried.

Take care, and don't overdo it before you're fully recovered.

Gordon.

I like a blue run too as you're guaranteed no polling. I enjoyed red but only short ones otherwise it was a chore to get down them. Some greens are really enjoyable, especially ones through forest scapes. Must admit though, it was a blue which claimed me in the Pyrenees although I'm sure it was more red than blue for my liking.

Thanks for the good wishes, had bad news about it today after having it xrayed so going to see a trauma professor now. .. Looks like another operation is on the cards I think. Hey ho! :-)

Sorry to hear that there could be another op necessary on your leg, but given the nature of your injury I cannot pretend to be surprised. It's a risk we all take when stepping onto skis, and while most of the time if we take a tumble, all that's hurt is our pride, sometimes as you proved it can take a more serious turn. I trust it won't be too long before you're bearing weight on your leg again.

The "White Lady" that I referred to earlier is no steeper than some blue runs, but is correctly designated a red, primarily because of its narrowness in places, making frequent turns necessary if you're to keep the speed down.

Gordon.

Did you fly Gordon or take the van?

The risk for me would be getting there and no snow. That said, it's a part of the world I am not familiar with and I'm sure there'd be other things to do.

Russ

Neither Russ,

Drove up in the car and booked a B&B. Have taken the van in the past though.

There's quite a lot to see locally, so we visited a distillery (bringing back some samples), and checked out a number of visitors centres etc. , when we couldn't get on the slopes. The second trip was spent mostly skiing, eating and sleeping, although we did get to hear some live music in a local hostelry one evening. The third trip was entirely devoted to the white stuff because the weather was so kind, as you can see from the pictures.

Gordon.

• Like 1

Hi Gordon, just spotted this thread. Are you still skiing? If so I have a suggestion, we habve been going to a resort in the French Alps. Le Grand Bornand. Its linked, by bus, to La Clusaz. When we go we stay here

www. campinglescale. com/?lang=en

I notice that you are in the South so driving will probably be not much further than Scotland. The village is stunning, the French really friendly, it is a very easy drive - only 1000 metres above sea level but has an excellent ski area. We have been skiing for over 30 years sometimes muliple weeks in any year and skied many resorts and this one is one of the best. During the week out of season you can ski all day and only see a few people. There are never any queues. The ski club of Great Britain have called it the undiscovered jem of France. It is only 12 miles from Annecy!

We have friends who take their motorhome down every year for 6 weeks. It is lovely in the summer also.

If you dont fance taking the caravan they have apartments and static caravans.

If you no llonger ski please ignore this post.

Richard

Sign in to follow this