Sign in to follow this  
sleepyfolk

Toilet-Bio Washing Liquid? Does It Keep Smell Down?

I currently use Elsan organic in the loo and the flush tank, works very well but I'm ridding my life of all chemicals and companies that test on animals and this is the last thing I need to replace with a cruelty free alternative.

I know on here there are a few people who use biological washing liquid for clothes - mainly for cost reasons as far as I can tell.

If anyone is using it can you answer these:

1. Does it keep the smell down?

2. Do you use it in the flush tank as well?

Aren't you just looking to replace one set of chemicals with another?

. ..........and are we not animals too?

Keep with the known product.

geoff

Short while ago we were stopped by anti-chemicals people. ..who, when my mate pointed out that their shoes were PVC where did they think it came from?

geoff

I currently use Elsan organic in the loo and the flush tank, works very well but I'm ridding my life of all chemicals and companies that test on animals and this is the last thing I need to replace with a cruelty free alternative.

I know on here there are a few people who use biological washing liquid for clothes - mainly for cost reasons as far as I can tell.

If anyone is using it can you answer these:

1. Does it keep the smell down?

2. Do you use it in the flush tank as well?

Definitely does not keep the smell down which is why we went back to Elsan. We did not use it in the flush tank in case it damaged the pump.

Definitely does not keep the smell down which is why we went back to Elsan. We did not use it in the flush tank in case it damaged the pump.

We found the same, we used a few brands just to see if we'd picked the wrong type the first time, it certainly wasn't a pleasant experience

Elson all the way now

We used the Aldi bio sachets and were pleased with the results. However, after a while the loo began to smell pretty unpleasant and we had to go back to using the Elsan type fluid.

You could always try it for yourself and see how you get on, but don't use it in the flush tank.

If the firms who market toilet chemicals realised that they could just re-label washing sachets with a 100% mark up, do you think that they would miss a trick?

Aren't you just looking to replace one set of chemicals with another?

Sort of but I've recently been able to source products for commercial cleaning and carpet cleaning, all my household products and the wife's cosmetics for chemicals where neither the ingredients or the finished products are tested on animals, despite what we thought was a step forward in EU legislation for cosmetics, many companies that were cruelty free are now allowing testing on their products so they can sell in mainland China.

Companies like body shop, Liz Earle and others are in fact owned by a company that does test so still not acceptable.

Household products legislation is still dragging on, many supermarket own brand products are cruelty free, as are Bio D, Ecover, and lots more so there's no need to support the death of 8 animals a minute in the uk unless it doesn't bother you.

Sounds like I need a plan B according to the feedback, might be time for a SOG unit instead.

• Like 1

Some time ago a guy posted on here that he used a cheap fabric conditioner in his loo & flush. I have tried it and must say it works a treat in keeping the tank clean and leaving a nice fragrance. After emptying the cassette I pour some "Hibiscrub" in before fitting back into the van. Hibiscrub is a bacteriostat. Pump wise it seems ok but I have the old fashioned hand operated pump not an electrical one.

Some time ago a guy posted on here that he used a cheap fabric conditioner in his loo & flush. I have tried it and must say it works a treat in keeping the tank clean and leaving a nice fragrance. After emptying the cassette I pour some "Hibiscrub" in before fitting back into the van. Hibiscrub is a bacteriostat. Pump wise it seems ok but I have the old fashioned hand operated pump not an electrical one.

Hibiscrub looks like a pretty potent chemical - http://www. molnlycke. co. uk/Documents/GBR/Surgical/Antiseptics/HiBiScrub%20Data%20Sheet. pdf

Just in case anyone needs an idea of what goes on in the draize test on rabbits for eye and skin irritants here's a rabbits view

post-55551-0-16785300-1457293471_thumb.jpeg

post-55551-0-94184400-1457293481_thumb.jpeg

post-55551-0-41271700-1457293492_thumb.jpeg

Sorry, but you aren't going to persuade me that testing isn't required. I have no time for animal rights protesters or any other "protesters" as they tend towards fanaticism, a bit like vegans etc.

Do what you will, but don't try to brainwash me or others with pictures and controversial statements.

• Like 1

Sorry, but you aren't going to persuade me that testing isn't required. I have no time for animal rights protesters or any other "protesters" as they tend towards fanaticism, a bit like vegans etc.

Do what you will, but don't try to brainwash me or others with pictures and controversial statements.

+1

I am alive today as a result of drugs which almost certainly were tested on rats and rabbits in the 'early days'.

geoff

• Like 1

If you are ridding your life of chemicals, install a SOG unit and use none.

controversial statements.

There's nowt controversial about it dave, if you've no time for animal rights that's your position and you're entitled to that, if you chose to look into it in a bit more detail you'd discover that it is not necessary, there are alternative tests, there's no brainwashing to do, facts on numbers of animals tested are provided by our government, interpretation and education of these facts is how we progress and change.

Don't you find it quite bizarre that in a country of pet lovers most people will have unknowingly bought pet food from a company that routinely tested and killed dogs so they could claim their food was "scientifically" proven. I find that a bit weird and think folk should know so they can make an informed decision. That's not controversial, that's just a fact.

I am alive today as a result of drugs which almost certainly were tested on rats and rabbits in the 'early days'. geoff

Very true, nearly everything has been tested in one way or another, whether or not the tests are useful is a matter of opinion - scientific opinion - not just mine! Recently people have died testing Pacritinib and Bial after animal testing, conversely some drugs like Ibuprofen can be fatal to dogs but useful to humans. There are countless vice versa examples.

Smoking does not cause cancer in mice and rats, so why in California are they pumping 500 times the among of vapour a human can inhale into a 30g mouse to try and prove vaping e-cigs is dangerous, possibly beacause of tobacco company funding!?

There are now a raft of human cell technology tests available, testing on a pregnant rat is 60% accurate at predicting pregnant human drug issues, cell-based alternatives are 100%.

Anyway, at least they've stopped giving mice shellfish poisoning and replaced that with an analytical chemistry method that is better at protecting humans.

Having digressed from toilet casettes I've got my answer, hopefully I've explained my position on the other side of why I was seeing an answer n the first place without being fanatical or brainwashing anyone😀

• Like 1

If you break it down, sorry about the pun, you've two choices in the way they work - use formaldehyde-based products to stop the bio-degradation which produces the smell but is also cancerous to humans - use bio products to speed up the bio-degradation and add strong scent to it to mask the smell.

Having started with formaldehyde-based products decades ago, survived cancer, switched to bio caravan fluids and then recently to bio washing fluids - all of them mask the smell in use and none of them mask the smell when emptying although formaldehyde-based is "better" in that respect and bio-washing fluids less good.

I haven't experimented with increasing the dosing levels of bio-washing fluid just to mask the smell.

• Like 1

I have for some years now been using bio laundry liquid which is made up of enzymes that break down the biomass. Very happy doing so and in no mind to change as it is as used effective and of no cost concern.

However, because of physically handling the weight involved if left too long I have a routine of emptying the cassette each morning, therefore I have no issue with bacterial decomposition starting to cause any undue smell.

• Like 2

Message to SleepyFolk. As far as I can see this thread was essentialy about toilet chemicals and we are all happy to participate in that discussion.

What we don't need (Or I don't ) or want is someone banging a drum and putting controversial pictures & statements to move it in a different direction. It's similar to politics & religion, but in my opinion worse.

You have a point of view, so do I and so do others and that's fine but would you or anyone else be happy if one of us started putting pictures of ISIS beheading people or try a bit of rant or radicalisation on behalf of ISIS etc,

IMO those who start spouting off about animal rights and putting pictures like you did are just as bad.

Lets keep it on bog chemicals and not get diverted onto your pet subject - that's not what this forum is all about

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 4

Thanks guys, that's was the info I was after

We do use the bio sachets mainly for convenience, as you don't get blue all over your fingers, rather than cost saving but have always got in the habit of emptying the loo receptacle every day anyway.

In the rinse container we use a small amount of cheap hair conditioner.

Bill

• Like 1

Tesco Bio washing capsules in the toilet. As long as it is emptied every day there is not a problem with smell, either in the caravan or at the emptying point. The only difference is you are emptying brown sludge instead of blue or green. No problems with capsule storage or use either.

John.

I use the Ariel 3 in 1's, no problem and a nice smell

I use the Ariel 3 in 1's, no problem and a nice smell

What about No 2's

• Like 1