Sign in to follow this  
pjapk

Someone Was "slightly" Overweight!?!

Trucks are theoretically limited to 80km/h, too, but in practice most seem do 96km/h which is the technically governed maximum.

Drifting off topic a little, I thought that the EU-wide truck limiters were set to 90kph - which seems to fit with the GPS speeds that they all do in the UK, except downhill.

Interesting, I normally set our cruise control to 88kph, I just find it a very comfortable speed, and its so much easier to let the trucks pass you than you try to pass them!

The story was told over a microphone to an audience by the chap that actually helped, along with a line formed by the police officers, unload the van to the car so was as close to "the horses mouth" as you can get. .

Could this story be from when Graham was with the police for a day when they did a sting stopping caravans and checking on the M5 a couple of years ago ?

I wish the video would be put on utube as a lot of eye opening with overweight vehicles and lack of extension mirrors.

Police report operation velopy said they found caravans upto 650 kg overweight . 82 % stopped were overweight.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 2

Operation Velopy took place in August but the document doesn't say which year.

Further information about an earlier operation or perhaps the same operation

Edited by DeeTee
  • Like 1

Velopy operations are held a number of times .

velopy 2 & 3.

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/caravanclubapps/media/17104/ASK%20YOUR%20CLUB%20November%2008. pdf

Graham was on this operation .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

The most recent operation appears to be in 2008.

The most recent operation appears to be in 2008.

Grahams was on the M27 in 2012.

Dave

Drifting off topic a little, I thought that the EU-wide truck limiters were set to 90kph - which seems to fit with the GPS speeds that they all do in the UK, except downhill.

You are correct. I hit the wrong key.

"The dealer I purchased my caravan (migrated from a motorhome) insisted on looking at the plate on my towcar to satisfy himself that my intended purchase could be legally attached. I already knew exactly what I could go to but he insisted on satisfying himself before proceeding with the sale. Sadly I think he is in a very small minority of salesmen/dealers"

I would have the upmost respect for a dealer who did that Andy… plus I would be more tempted to buy from them. Says a lot when a dealer would risk a sale by doing the right thing… says they are honourable.

Pleased you gave him the sale and recognised this a good thing.

Teddy

I would have the upmost respect for a dealer who did that Andy… plus I would be more tempted to buy from them. Says a lot when a dealer would risk a sale by doing the right thing… says they are honourable.

Teddy

When we purchased our Mistral in October the saleslady at Catterick Caravans actually entered our make & model towcar into the computer & confirmed that we were legal to tow. Having decided to purchase the caravan I had already done this check myself, but non the less it is very reassuring to see a dealer do it.

• Like 1

Teddy

It's an excellent, responsible, attitude from a dealer - but I've seen forum posts where the dealer has refused to sell if the Towing Ratio exceeded the 85% "rule" - that we all know isn't a rule, just a guideline, and even then intended for beginners.

Could this story be from when Graham was with the police for a day when they did a sting stopping caravans and checking on the M5 a couple of years ago ?

That's the one.

It's an excellent, responsible, attitude from a dealer - but I've seen forum posts where the dealer has refused to sell if the Towing Ratio exceeded the 85% "rule" - that we all know isn't a rule, just a guideline, and even then intended for beginners.

A caravan sales person who thinks the 85% guideline/recommendation is a rule shows ignorance. .. would have the reverse effect in that I would think they don't know what they talking about.

Suggesting people should seriously consider sticking to the recommendation unless experienced at towing is another matter. .. that is responsible selling. Just like refusing to selling a caravan to somebody who plans to tow greater than 100%.

A caravan sales person who thinks the 85% guideline/recommendation is a rule shows ignorance. .. would have the reverse effect in that I would think they don't know what they talking about.

Suggesting people should seriously consider sticking to the recommendation unless experienced at towing is another matter. .. that is responsible selling. Just like refusing to selling a caravan to somebody who plans to tow greater than 100%.

My car's kerbweight is 2185 kg - it's towing limit is 3500 kg - advice/recommendation is one thing but refusing to sell ?

• Like 1

My car's kerbweight is 2185 kg - it's towing limit is 3500 kg - advice/recommendation is one thing but refusing to sell ?

Mine is 1950 kg kerbweight and 3500 kg towing limit but I could a 1000 kg in the boot same with a MPV on paper but put 7 people onboard and a totally different picture.

Unless the dealer knows how much you intend to load into a vehicle the 85% guide is flawed .

The guide should be based on actuals at the time of towing because that is the true figures .

Dave

Edited by Steamdrivenandy
  • Like 1

Isn’t it correct that exceeding 100% kerbweight with a caravan is never recommended, under any circumstances?? Excuse my own ignorance if this is not correct.

I am under the understanding that a towing limit greater than kerbweight is listed on 4x4's for alternative towing… such as agricultural use (at low speeds and/or not on public highways)?

I could be wrong. .. going off what I've been told and not reading a trsusted source.

Isn’t it correct that exceeding 100% kerbweight with a caravan is never recommended, under any circumstances?? Excuse my own ignorance if this is not correct.

I am under the understanding that a towing limit greater than kerbweight is listed on 4x4's for alternative towing… such as agricultural use (at low speeds and/or not on public highways)?

I could be wrong. .. going off what I've been told and not reading a trsusted source.

I'd never recommend it, nor would many others - but as Lutz points out many German caravanners do exceed 100% where their towing limit allows them to.

My point was - I wouldn't expect a saleman to REFUSE to sell me a caravan simply on the basis it was over 100%

You have to remember that the towing limit is the car's capability i. e that it can pull that weight without mechanical or structural misadventure. With the drive to save fuel cars are becoming lighter but size for size their engines are more powerful. This means a lighter weight car has the capability to pull more weight than hitherto.

Now couple that relatively lightweight car to a heavy caravan and the roadgoing characteristics of the rig can become very poor.

The problem with using a car's loaded weight as a ratio for guidance when towing is that nobody has the vaguest idea what the car weighs. At least I have a fairly good idea what my van weighs, but the car???? That's why the guidance is to use two published figures just to get an idea that a rig is suitably matched. Trouble is people have got fixated on it and try and translate that into a running ratio, for which it was never intended.

I'd never recommend it, nor would many others - but as Lutz points out many German caravanners do exceed 100% where their towing limit allows them to.

My point was - I wouldn't expect a saleman to REFUSE to sell me a caravan simply on the basis it was over 100%

Sales of Inos caravans would be near zero at 2500 kg Mtplm as not many vehicle have that high kerbweight.

Dave

Sales of Inos caravans would be near zero at 2500 kg Mtplm as not many vehicle have that high kerbweight.

Dave

They'd be like you Dave and buy a commercial vehicle rather than a car ;)

My vehicle is only 1950 kg .

Dave

My vehicle is only 1950 kg .

Dave

I'm leg pulling Dave :)

Which often have lower kerbweight than big SUVs.

A lot of people seem to believe that towing at over 100% is an absolute no no, and a sure recipe for instant disaster. The German legislation clearly suggests that their government does not think so, and who am I to disagree? Years ago I happily towed at about 120% without any problems. There is no evidence to show that with care and good equipment it is unsafe to tow up to the vehicles GTW. The vehicles towing limit is primarily an indication of the weight of trailer that it can reasonably be expected to perform a hill start with on a 12% gradient.

The vehicles towing limit is primarily an indication of the weight of trailer that it can reasonably be expected to perform a hill start with on a 12% gradient.

That may be all that the regulations require, but any self respecting car manufacturer will take more into account than just the ability to restart on a 12% gradient when defining the towload. He has possible warranty claims to contend with, so things like engine cooling and braking performance and vehicle handling also feature in the list of target requirements that are checked under towing conditions.

Sign in to follow this