Sign in to follow this  
scaniaman

Had Enough..........

I have no doubt the British Caravan industry will go the same way as the Motor Cycle and Car makers went, that's down the pan. All it needs is say Hobby to either take over a British Caravan company or make a serious effort to market its products here.

This will not happen quickly and in the meantime we the customers will continue to buy their products and put up with the decline in quality many of us have experienced.

• Like 1

Well two weeks since I put in my request for an extended warranty on the back panel when it gets repaired for the 3rd time in less than 3 years. Look to be avoiding the subject as this is all I am interested in at the moment and the answer to this question will guide me on which direction to go reject or repair. Have full year of holidays booked so will be taking legal advice.

If not willing to give a 3 year warranty on the back panel what does that say about the their faith in the repair or panel. It a major part of the body and should 10 years+ but not even lasting a year.

Edited by scaniaman
  • Like 2

Hi to you all. Please correct me if I am wrong or in need a visit to an optician BUT I have not as yet seen one mention of approaching WHICH Magazine with this one and or others that are 'Head banging a wall' cases.

The original supplying dealer is always the one to 'Nail to the backyard door' unless of course he/they have gone bust/ceased to trade.

If one approaches the CC and or the C&CC you will run up-against prohibitions on disclosure of their correspondences and more than likely will not receive a conclusive reply/decision as to Help & Support from either.

The NCC will equally be as unresponsive/non supportive.

The various magazines will not be wanting to 'Bite the hand that helps to feed them'.

If it was a motor-car issue then I would not hesitate to consult with Auto Express.

• Like 2

Hi to you all. Please correct me if I am wrong or in need a visit to an optician BUT I have not as yet seen one mention of approaching WHICH Magazine with this one and or others that are 'Head banging a wall' cases.

The original supplying dealer is always the one to 'Nail to the backyard door' unless of course he/they have gone bust/ceased to trade.

If one approaches the CC and or the C&CC you will run up-against prohibitions on disclosure of their correspondences and more than likely will not receive a conclusive reply/decision as to Help & Support from either.

The NCC will equally be as unresponsive/non supportive.

The various magazines will not be wanting to 'Bite the hand that helps to feed them'.

If it was a motor-car issue then I would not hesitate to consult with Auto Express.

Agreed, another way around it, is if you are a member of a Trade Union, as you are covered legally by them. I notified my Union about a problem I had with a car once, with the dealer being less than helpful. He soon changed his tune when he received a letter from the Union's legal department.

I haven't had to do that with the van, because the finance company stepped in, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the Union again.

• Like 2

The other bit I get confused by is the Manafacturer says it's nothing to do with them you most go through the dealer,but when I asked the dealer how long it would take, I was told all depends how long the Manafacturer takes to except the work under warranty. If it's down to the dealer surely they should repair at there expense and then claim of the dealer.

• Like 1

The other bit I get confused by is the Manafacturer says it's nothing to do with them you most go through the dealer,but when I asked the dealer how long it would take, I was told all depends how long the Manafacturer takes to except the work under warranty. If it's down to the dealer surely they should repair at there expense and then claim of the dealer.

The Dealership needs a Rocket Up Up Their A**e and there is usually little better than a 14day notice of serving a County Court Judgement upon them or as would appear to have been the case they have had more than enough rope - Do It.

My past experience has indicated that they usually pratt about as a decoy/diversionary tactic and often as a precursor to going bust.

Keep everything as Hard Copy and do not fall into the trap of phone call deals/excuses/reasons - again - diversionary tactics.

• Like 1

That's one thing that has always annoyed me too. It's so easy for the manufacturer to hide behind the dealer's, and I know your contract is with the dealer, but to be fair to them, it wasn't them who built it, it wasn't them who used sub standard products in the construction, it wasn't them who used cheap fixtures and fittings. I could go on but you get my drift.

As others have said, the only way the manufacturer's will start to take notice is by a serious drop in their sales, and by dealer's dropping those makes that are causing them the most problems.

• Like 1

I know what your saying VC,but I have a letter from Elddis saying they have sympathy blah blah but it's the dealers problem. Then contacting the dealer I got bring the van and we will submit the claim and wait and see. I pointed out to them it was there responsibility and I got told that he had heard enough of my bull and get legal advise but the warranty states that. Hence I'm now going through another dealer as words fail me how this is aloud .

But when you keep on reading on the Internet the same thing over and over again it gets so depressing,so much so my wife and I have had a serious talk and after hopefully we get the van repaired it looks like we're going to sell and pack vanning in.

We didn't buy the van to cause this much stress, we bought it for enjoyment but there has been very little with this van.

Edited by Scoobz

Sorry to hear that you are thinking of packing it in Scoobz, but as you rightly say, this hobby is supposed to be all about relaxation and enjoyment. Unfortunately for too many people this is definitely not the case.

I was in a similar situation as you regarding the dealer. In the end I refused for them to touch my van again and got the finance company involved. Once Black Horse got involved, the dealer suddenly had a change of heart, but it was too late by that point the damage had been done, and with the help of Elddis who told me to take the van to another dealer (Newport Caravans) the van was fixed.

The difference between the two dealers was quite frankly alarming. Newport Caravans sorted out the problems with my van in two weeks, which the supplying dealer failed to do after having it for twelve weeks. So hopefully you will receive the same experience as I did by changing dealers, and that they will repair your van so that you can carry on with this hobby of ours, and finally get to enjoy it and put this whole saga behind you.

Best of luck

Whilst I would certainly go the legal route if I experienced the same as some on here I understand the 'fear' that is inherent in this action. If you are not going to go down that route, then have you considered involving the Media, both local and if you can achieve it Nationally. Perhaps you could all get together to present a united front. Plus letters to every Caravan club and magazine you can think of. Don't forget to copy each and every one to the CEO of the company involved plus of course a complaint to whatever professional body they belong to.

When they think it is going to hit the bottom line then you mayl get a change of heart from them. It's a disgusting situation that flouts the law.

Alan, the problem is, by writing to the organisations and magazines, they are not to follow it through, this company spend many £000000s paying for advertising space. There is no way a magazine is going to risk their income. Caravan Club never support any issues like this either they just sit on the fence.

John

• Like 1

It's all about convincing the dealer you are not going to roll over. If you achieve that mind set for them then you are over halfway to the winning post.

Hi Scaniaman & Scoobz

Sorry to read about your trials and tribulations.

Our 2013 SoLiD Avante has had a few of the issues detailed in this thread but we have been very well looked after by our dealer but due to the frailties of the Elddis design have decided to trade the van in for an Adria. This brand looks to be able to cope with being used all year round (Elddis heating/ventilation system just not good enough) and has superior outer construction materials to protect from day to day use.

The looks of Adria vans in the past have often been quirky but the latest models have good looks and windows that don't look like an after thought.

Longer and wider than current van so will need extra care whilst towing!

• Like 1

It's all about convincing the dealer you are not going to roll over. If you achieve that mind set for them then you are over halfway to the winning post.

I agree Alan it is all about making the dealer realise you mean business. However as I said earlier this is easier with some dealers than it is with the large national dealers who are very used to these situations. It's also like many things in life, what is relatively easy for some isn't for others. I know someone who doesn't think twice about jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft at 15,000 feet but you won't catch me doing it :-). Some people just don't have the confidence or ability to deal with these situations, it's not a critism we are all different. There could also be other things going on in their lives which means that they simply cannot cope with the additional stress.

Maybe acting as a negociator between owners and dealers could be a new business venture for someone. .. ;-).

Mark.

• Like 1

I agree Alan it is all about making the dealer realise you mean business. However as I said earlier this is easier with some dealers than it is with the large national dealers who are very used to these situations. It's also like many things in life, what is relatively easy for some isn't for others. I know someone who doesn't think twice about jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft at 15,000 feet but you won't catch me doing it :-). Some people just don't have the confidence or ability to deal with these situations, it's not a critism we are all different. There could also be other things going on in their lives which means that they simply cannot cope with the additional stress.

Maybe acting as a negociator between owners and dealers could be a new business venture for someone. .. ;-).

Mark.

It's been suggested before that an association could be started, that could indeed do that and if thought appropriate to assist in taking the blighters to court. Perhaps using this forum as a starting point. Didn't get much interest actually and the costing was never even looked at. If the so called Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club were proactive on behalf of their members to a standard way above what they do at present.

A few high profile cases with publicity would concentrate the dealers minds more and they would then be putting pressure on the manufacturers (or go bust). I don't expect perfection, although it would be nice, but the way that so many people are treated by some dealers is just plain criminal in my eyes.

Hopefully the new Consumer Rights Act 2015 will make things a little more clearer to customers. So many grey areas still but an improvement in clarity.

At the very least we should have a ' New van - know your rights' article on here. How about it ?

• Like 1

Mark.

We could call them errr. .....................lawyers ? :D :D

Ian

• Like 1

We could call them errr. .....................lawyers ? :D :D

Ian

Call them what you like as long as they don't charge the same. ... ;-).

Mark.

Hi Scoobz that's not good. We have our new van on order, so I may have challange or two ahead 😕 The question I wanted to ask, these cracks in rear panels are they across the full range? Or specific models, and have they resolved the problem on current builds does anyone know?

Thanks

Steve

Some how managed to post twice so deleted second one 😡

Edited by Stillroaming

Hi Scoobz that's not good. We have our new van on order, so I may have challange or two ahead The question I wanted to ask, these cracks in rear panels are they across the full range? Or specific models, and have they resolved the problem on current builds does anyone know?

Thanks

Steve

As said would be interesting to hear from owners of new Buccaneers as they now I would think are using a 8 ft BPW chassis and a different front and rear panels .

Is there any improvement from body faults?

Dave

Hi Steve, to be honest I'm not exactly sure if it's happened across the range. I may be wrong but I think it seems that a lot of the 2013/2014 vans seem to have the problem. The only thing I can suggest to you is when you pick up the van take your time and go through everything,and I mean everything. Don't let the dealer try and rush you and make sure he demonstrates everything is working fine. if there is problems ( and I know it would be a pain) just reject the van there and then.

The dealer will promise you that that can be fixed in a couple of weeks or earlier,but just don't take the van till you are a 100% happy. You may have a fantastic dealer( not like mine sadly) but still I wouldn't take the van till it is perfect.

After what's happened to me and if I ever bought a new van( and trust me that is a big if) I would even request a ladder and check the roof and all corners. Best a look with your new van, I'm sure it will be fine. regards Scoobz.

Hi Scoobz that's not good. We have our new van on order, so I may have challange or two ahead The question I wanted to ask, these cracks in rear panels are they across the full range? Or specific models, and have they resolved the problem on current builds does anyone know?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

When the cracks were first reported on the new 2013 rear panels I watched closely as I had a 2013 Crusader. I seem to recall the vans that suffered with the cracks were the Avante and Affinity ranges, both of which had the same rear panel design, my dealer confirmed they had not had any issues with Crusaders and I don't think any Buccaneers were involved.

Davros

Once again super input very much appreciated. I get the check, check and check again activity. It's the same with the motorhomes we had. Diffrence being I knew the motorhomes we had inside out and upside down so when we changed I knew exactly where to check. Now back to caravans it's in the dark in the deep end massive learnings in a short time and only possible because people put themselves out on forums like this to share knowledge and experiences. One day I hope to repay that input with quality output.

As for the dealer to date nothing and I mean nothing has been a problem. But time will tell if it hits the fan.

Cheers

Steve

Once again super input very much appreciated. I get the check, check and check again activity. It's the same with the motorhomes we had. Diffrence being I knew the motorhomes we had inside out and upside down so when we changed I knew exactly where to check. Now back to caravans it's in the dark in the deep end massive learnings in a short time and only possible because people put themselves out on forums like this to share knowledge and experiences. One day I hope to repay that input with quality output.

As for the dealer to date nothing and I mean nothing has been a problem. But time will tell if it hits the fan.

Cheers

Steve

The new Buccaneers have different front and rear panels from 2014/2015 as they changed to 8 ft wide from 7 ft 6in so posts on Crusaders and Buccaneers before this would have no indication .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

They had the van repaired under warranty and sold on at retail again so in reality they didn't loose that whole amount.

Who took the hit wasn't my concern, my concern was to ensure I had a van which was fit for purpose, however if it was the dealer I do feel for them as the manufactures need to step up when these things happen.

It wasn't easy to be successful, it took a couple of unresponsive phone calls and a straight talking face to face meeting post the rejection letter.

Kev

I wouldn't waste too much sympathy on dealers. They are in business to make money not friends. Any talk of wanting people to be repeat customers is just *****. The salesman is only interested in the immediate sale.

Some years ago I spent around £30k on a used Hymer A class from a local dealer. The last words from the sales manager as I left were "Relax, you have the strength of a national company behind you". That was until I made a complaint. The faults I found were many and serious, but to show you how disinterested they were in the vehicle, they had not even washed out the toilet waste tank, which was full and I mean full of semi-solids.

They turned me out five times with a faulty master cylinder which could have resulted in our deaths.

Parts of the rear suspension were missing and my local garage advised me that the van could have rolled over on corners.

The so-called after-sales manager was purely in post to stop people like me getting their purchases sorted out.

There is a total disregard for the laws regarding consumer rights.