Sign in to follow this  
scaniaman

Had Enough..........

Put my claim in with dealer, thinking they would get things rolling straight away, no need to wait for Elddis as repair is less than a year old. No chance, waiting on Elddis😠. As for extended warranty on back panel I have been told to contact Elddis. Threatened rejecting van if no satisfaction getting very close.

Sorry to hear about another van cracking after having panel changed but makes case stronger for both of us👍

Put my claim in with dealer, thinking they would get things rolling straight away, no need to wait for Elddis as repair is less than a year old. No chance, waiting on Elddis. As for extended warranty on back panel I have been told to contact Elddis. Threatened rejecting van if no satisfaction getting very close.

Sorry to hear about another van cracking after having panel changed but makes case stronger for both of us

Perhaps you could raise it on "An Evening With Elddis".

Whatever happened to that ?

Ian

• Like 2

You need to be looking for another van as this one need rejecting, as has been said you may loose a bit because of use (betterment) but you could counteract some of that with your fuel bills for the past 3 years to and fro.

At 3 years rejection is possible, at 4 years if it cracks again, who knows.

Your dealer needs to sort out a new van and pronto.

When I rejected a Swift I was offered the value of the van to spend on any van they had, new or secondhand or order a new van. I could have pushed for a full refund and walk away but I was just happy that I got the rejection and was happy to deal with them with a new van.

Kev

So thinking of the Swift you mention, was there any difference between rejecting it and just trading it in as one would normally do?

All I'll say is after a few deliberations on the subject a new Eldis in 2010 it's attendant faults and lack of any help from Elddis we bought a German motorhome. as an engineering I was always proud if our achievements but there is the odd one.

Edited by cyclocara

So thinking of the Swift you mention, was there any difference between rejecting it and just trading it in as one would normally do?

Yes, i got the price paid back and put towards another caravan, a bailey as ut happens.

If trading in i would have got at least 3 to 4k less

Kev

All I'll say is after a few deliberations on the subject a new Eldis in 2010 it's attendant faults and lack of any help from Elddis we bought a German motorhome. as an engineering I was always proud if our achievements but there is the odd one.

Hi cycloara. Have I misread you post ? Were you with Elddis/The Explorer Group during the period that encompassed 2010 and or before ?

I assume that you meant as an engineer or that you were in a branch of engineering and had had pride in the products until a problematic period that included 2010.

I had the privilege of finding the cracked aluminium skin when I came out of hospital after recovering from a bladder cancer tumour removal,this was whilst valeting the newly (to me) 2001 Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco in the Easter of 2008.

My first reaction was that it was a cobweb - how wrong I was. There were many many of them over the period from 2001 until the introduction of SoLiD,it mainly affect the longer single axle models along with certain of the twin axle caravans the had the entrance door forward of the axle/axles.

post-71536-0-58415200-1457533333_thumb.jpg

Yes, i got the price paid back and put towards another caravan, a bailey as ut happens.

If trading in i would have got at least 3 to 4k less

Kev

So a very significant difference. But who took the hit? Presumably the retailer. Very interesting! That doesn't happen often.

I am sure that all dealers are aware of your rights and their obligations but getting them to act accordingly is quite another matter.

yep. .. looks like I was indeed tempting fate. Just been out to the van today, this is the 2nd rear panel even with the frame modified underneath.

Mark.

attachicon.gifWP_20160305_10_42_57_Pro_LI 1. jpg

Is that the front panel

Flynn

Is that the front panel

Flynn

No, it's the rear.

Mark.

Edited by Markt1891

So a very significant difference. But who took the hit? Presumably the retailer. Very interesting! That doesn't happen often.

I am sure that all dealers are aware of your rights and their obligations but getting them to act accordingly is quite another matter.

They had the van repaired under warranty and sold on at retail again so in reality they didn't loose that whole amount.

Who took the hit wasn't my concern, my concern was to ensure I had a van which was fit for purpose, however if it was the dealer I do feel for them as the manufactures need to step up when these things happen.

It wasn't easy to be successful, it took a couple of unresponsive phone calls and a straight talking face to face meeting post the rejection letter.

Kev

• Like 1

Hi cycloara. Have I misread you post ? Were you with Elddis/The Explorer Group during the period that encompassed 2010 and or before ?

I assume that you meant as an engineer or that you were in a branch of engineering and had had pride in the products until a problematic period that included 2010.

I had the privilege of finding the cracked aluminium skin when I came out of hospital after recovering from a bladder cancer tumour removal,this was whilst valeting the newly (to me) 2001 Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco in the Easter of 2008.

My first reaction was that it was a cobweb - how wrong I was. There were many many of them over the period from 2001 until the introduction of SoLiD,it mainly affect the longer single axle models along with certain of the twin axle caravans the had the entrance door forward of the axle/axles.

attachicon.gif21022011758. jpg

Sorry perhaps I was a little brief, I am an engineer still although only as an agency tutor in further education, I have always been proud of British engineering achievements, although with lack of funding and dedicated entrepreneurs we don't seem to have the pioneering spirit that we had as a nation. When we bought our Elddis Odyssey, new, I was aghast at the number and type of faults discovered on the first second and even third short break, our local dealer Nr Catterick did a good job and were helpful throughout. To date Elddis have never replied to our complaints, but, as they say is water under the bridge. Oh and no I've never worked for the Elddis group I think I would have died of shame at the product quality. Hope this answers your question.

• Like 2

Sorry perhaps I was a little brief, I am an engineer still although only as an agency tutor in further education, I have always been proud of British engineering achievements, although with lack of funding and dedicated entrepreneurs we don't seem to have the pioneering spirit that we had as a nation. When we bought our Elddis Odyssey, new, I was aghast at the number and type of faults discovered on the first second and even third short break, our local dealer Nr Catterick did a good job and were helpful throughout. To date Elddis have never replied to our complaints, but, as they say is water under the bridge. Oh and no I've never worked for the Elddis group I think I would have died of shame at the product quality. Hope this answers your question.

Hi cyclocara. Yes,it does albeit the only contact after purchase is through your dealer but if they are not getting the support then it really does/did say-it-all.

I wonder if it is really possible to truly gauge whether caravanning has declined/had it's day here in the UK - with the massive number of pre-owned caravans that are just simply parked up on sites/storage sites and not being used and the numbers that are sitting around on dealers sites/pitches and in show-rooms.

The registration of new caravans can be a little deceptive because for the most part everyone that is sold new is most likely to create a pre-owned one that is just sitting there.

Hi cyclocara. I know what you mean about quality( or the lack of it) I have a 2013 Avante and had nothing but trouble. Front gas locker door broken,replaced

Rear panel cracked both sides,plastic caps stuck over them

Floor was bouncing and creaking,new frame added under floor to strengthen it

Bathroom sink came away from wall,repaired twice but coming away again

Shower door frame refitted as when using shower kept flooding bathroom

Living room light switches replaced twice due to previous ones breaking

Light in bathroom replaced as kept falling down as original was stuck in with blue tac

Toilet flush broke,paid for repair myself

Heating system been modified twice due to being too noisy,still too noisy to use so have to use oil filled radiator now.

Wardrobe door fell of hinges and hitting wife,paid for new hinges and repair myself.

Major flood in van due to sink waste pipe being cut to short,flooded van and fridge causing electrics to blow. Had no fridge all summer while we waited for repairs,had to use cooler box.

Tv bracket fell off,paid for repair myself.

Caravan leg broke. new one fitted

Aerial replace 4 times( once by to Elddis engineers) still doesn't work. also disconnected sat point at same time.

Folding table warped,replaced but now warped again.

Fly screen broke,replaced

Grill and oven would not light,both repaired

Towel rail falling off,been repaired

Connector broke were Aqua roll pipe connects to van,paid for and had repair done by myself.

Sky light above bed repaired as you could not open it.

Tyre had to be replaced after cracks found after only 5 outings.

And now after its third service I am told that the outside box under the bed has failed causing that side of the caravan to have 40% damp. and after the leak on the fridge we had to drag it out and this is the quality of workmanship we found. post-50612-0-78859800-1457623596_thumb.jpegpost-50612-0-13150000-1457623692_thumb.jpeg

how have you put up with all those issues, I would have given the van back within year 1

I do hope this caravan does come good eventually so you can actually enjoy some holidays

Kev

Thanks Kev, I've tried to reject it but they just keep saying they have the right to repair. My question is when is enough in the eyes of the law. I hate the damn thing, every time you use it you think what's going to happen next.

Sadly I'm not the only poor soul that is going through it. If you read through the forum there is quite a lot of 2013 that has had major problems.

Regarding the picture my wife was so lucky, as she was wiping the water at the back of the fridge when it was getting pulled out, the rivet that hadn't been snapped off went between the fingers of her hand. 1/2 inch either side it would of went through her hand.

Thanks Kev, I've tried to reject it but they just keep saying they have the right to repair. My question is when is enough in the eyes of the law. I hate the damn thing, every time you use it you think what's going to happen next.

Sadly I'm not the only poor soul that is going through it. If you read through the forum there is quite a lot of 2013 that has had major problems.

Regarding the picture my wife was so lucky, as she was wiping the water at the back of the fridge when it was getting pulled out, the rivet that hadn't been snapped off went between the fingers of her hand. 1/2 inch either side it would of went through her hand.

Hi Scoobz. They have repeatedly had more than a fair opportunity to repair and I stand corrected but after a couple of bodge attempts at giving satisfaction I would have unequivocally rejected it on the grounds of NO CONFIDENCE IN THE DEALER and pushed it into the courts.

I don't think that there would have been a case for them to contest.

I supose t they can keep saying they have a right to repair as its different things each time, however there has to come a point that you must be able to say this vsn is not fit for purpose. Have yo contacted any legal body, like cc legal line

Kev

Hi Kev. To be honest I haven't yet. Sadly I lost my father a few weeks ago so been up the wall. That's what I'm so annoyed at, both the dealer and Elddis know what I'm going through as I didn't have time to reply right away to there letters. I had to write to them as my warranty was running out just after my father past away, but the dealer rejected my claim of not fit for purpose and is doing everything to make it awkward for me. That's why after talking to Elddis they said take it elsewhere .

Oh dear, sorry to hear about your dad.

You really have been sold a different, I wouldn't let them off the hook though make them deal with the issues. I know it's difficult sometimes as they do grind you down but don't let them win

Kev

• Like 1

Hi Kev,

As Scoobz has said there are many Elddis owners on here going through similar problems, myself included. Scoobz's is probably one of the worst I have heard about in terms of the sheer number of quality related issues. It's also not easy when you are dealing with a very large caravan dealership who sell nationwide and are very good at making life so difficult that people just give up and p/x their van for a new one.

If like me you purchase without finance then you have very few people on your side and the costs of legal action are quite staggering (I have taken professional advice on this). Like Scoobz I have tried all possible avenues with Elddis and my dealer and have had the door slammed in my face. They are willing to constantly patch up what is fundamentally a bad product to start with but refuse any grounds on which you try to reject the caravan. It seems that it is perfectly acceptable to sell you a poor quality product on the basis that they subsequently "meet their obligations" (their words, not mine) and fix the issues under warranty. Of course when that warranty runs out you are on your own. ..

It may well be that if I took the chance of legal action they would settle out of court but can I take that risk when the costs to me could run into thousands? I have no legal cover with my house insurance etc. The only possible option I am looking into now is section 75 of the CCA as I paid £250 deposit on my credit card. However even this seems to be a very long process with not many people getting a successful outcome. I also have to balance the stress and inconvenience of this against the impact to me and my family. The advice I have been given is that I would be unable to use my caravan or accept any repairs whilst going through the legal process. We have already booked holidays for this year and whilst the financial loss of deposits does not worry me telling my daughter that she would not be able to go on holiday wih her family, grandparents and friends for the rest of this year is not a discussion I want to have. I can see why many people just give into them, throw more money at it and p/x. I have told myself several times I won't do the same but if I am honest it's still in the back of my mind. Even that may not be a solution if you end up with another bad caravan. ..out of the frying pan and into the fire as it were. We have even considered giving up the hobby altogether.

Whilst I have discussed some of the issues I have faced openly in this forum I have kept the worst part of it private. Whilst I am sure it would cause a lot of discussion here if I explained it all it won't really help my cause :-). The caravan industry is in need of serious reform and the only way things will change is if people vote with their wallets.

Mark.

• Like 4

Hi Kev,

As Scoobz has said there are many Elddis owners on here going through similar problems, myself included. Scoobz's is probably one of the worst I have heard about in terms of the sheer number of quality related issues. It's also not easy when you are dealing with a very large caravan dealership who sell nationwide and are very good at making life so difficult that people just give up and p/x their van for a new one.

If like me you purchase without finance then you have very few people on your side and the costs of legal action are quite staggering (I have taken professional advice on this). Like Scoobz I have tried all possible avenues with Elddis and my dealer and have had the door slammed in my face. They are willing to constantly patch up what is fundamentally a bad product to start with but refuse any grounds on which you try to reject the caravan. It seems that it is perfectly acceptable to sell you a poor quality product on the basis that they subsequently "meet their obligations" (their words, not mine) and fix the issues under warranty. Of course when that warranty runs out you are on your own. ..

It may well be that if I took the chance of legal action they would settle out of court but can I take that risk when the costs to me could run into thousands? I have no legal cover with my house insurance etc. The only possible option I am looking into now is section 75 of the CCA as I paid £250 deposit on my credit card. However even this seems to be a very long process with not many people getting a successful outcome. I also have to balance the stress and inconvenience of this against the impact to me and my family. The advice I have been given is that I would be unable to use my caravan or accept any repairs whilst going through the legal process. We have already booked holidays for this year and whilst the financial loss of deposits does not worry me telling my daughter that she would not be able to go on holiday wih her family, grandparents and friends for the rest of this year is not a discussion I want to have. I can see why many people just give into them, throw more money at it and p/x. I have told myself several times I won't do the same but if I am honest it's still in the back of my mind. Even that may not be a solution if you end up with another bad caravan. ..out of the frying pan and into the fire as it were. We have even considered giving up the hobby altogether.

Whilst I have discussed some of the issues I have faced openly in this forum I have kept the worst part of it private. Whilst I am sure it would cause a lot of discussion here if I explained it all it won't really help my cause :-). The caravan industry is in need of serious reform and the only way things will change is if people vote with their wallets.

Mark.

Whilst I would certainly go the legal route if I experienced the same as some on here I understand the 'fear' that is inherent in this action. If you are not going to go down that route, then have you considered involving the Media, both local and if you can achieve it Nationally. Perhaps you could all get together to present a united front. Plus letters to every Caravan club and magazine you can think of. Don't forget to copy each and every one to the CEO of the company involved plus of course a complaint to whatever professional body they belong to.

When they think it is going to hit the bottom line then you mayl get a change of heart from them. It's a disgusting situation that flouts the law.

Edited by Alan Stanley
  • Like 1

Perhaps I was lucky with my dealer when I rejected the caravan, although stressful it was a success.

Yes you do have to give it up and not use it, mine went back to the dealer along with a rejection letter, also an email to the md and also a recorded delivery letter. It wasn't until I went in and started face to face did I get anywhere.

It depends how far you are prepared to go with it, I was going all the way and they knew it.

Kev

• Like 2

Hi Kev,

Mark.

The only problem with voting with our wallets is that with all manufacturers having their problems from whom do we buy a van to pursue our hobby?

We are led to believe that German vans are superior but it has been reported that even these are not perfect,so where do we go ?

Manufacturers know this and around we go.

Ian

• Like 1

The only problem with voting with our wallets is that with all manufacturers having their problems from whom do we buy a van to pursue our hobby?

We are led to believe that German vans are superior but it has been reported that even these are not perfect,so where do we go ?

Manufacturers know this and around we go.

Ian

I agree completely Ian. I really don't know what the answer is, it's just so wrong that the industry gets away with this and money is the only thing they are interested in.

Mark.

• Like 1