Sign in to follow this  
scaniaman

Had Enough..........

2013 Elddis avante.

Purchased new September 2013. Every February I have found cracks in back panel.

This is the 3rd year in a row I have went to get the van ready after winter only to find the back panel cracked.

This just takes all the pleasure out of getting the van ready, nothing has been done today shut it up and came home with all the stuff that was to go in it.

The van has had a new back panel last year, the year before it had caps put on bottom and nothing done with top as although it was bulging it wasn't cracked !!!!

I have not spoke to dealer yet as I need to get my plan of attack ready and cool off :angry:

We like the van, have not seen anything we would replace it with plus we have bought a new awning for it so don't really want to change vans.

Have had lots of other faults but repaired.

BUT

Don't want to be stuck with a van that keeps cracking, don't like the idea of only a 1 year warranty on the panels either. If its repaired again and lasts say 18 months before it cracks I don't want to have pay for another panel in the future.

Its also a 280 mile round trip to take van to dealer.

What's my options?

Would like an extended warranty on back panel as long as I own van for cracks in same places, reimbursement on fuel costs for this and last visit and replacement of that useless twig ariel FOC as well as motor mover sorted that has never worked right since new, been looked at 5 times now.

Any suggestions on how to go about this or what I should quote to ensure I get the best possible outcome. Dealer has let me down before, would rather go some where else but no option.

Thanks.

I'd reject the van under the SOGA!.....Contract is with your dealer!

Edited by PBarton
  • Like 2

My thoughts exactly, reject it. Clearly it's not fit for purpose. You could demand replacement with a new one with same spec and hope it's OK as you have the awning but it's for Elddis and the dealer to win your future custom, not for you to beg. A claim in the courts should be at least in your thinking for the detriment you've suffered, eg fuel costs, loss of utility and inconvenience. Please keep the forum updated as Elddis and the dealership might be more attentive if they understand many of us are watching. Good luck.

• Like 2

I think you'd have problems trying to reject it at 3 years old.

Not that the OP has recorded evidence that these cracks have appeared every year

Ask the dealer if they modified the wood frame behind the panel before fitting the 2nd panel. This was part of the repair process provided by Elddis to all retailers. It sounds to me like they may not have done it. ..

The rear panel on my 2013 Affinity cracked at 9 months old and was replaced as both the bottom and top had cracked. The dealer told me that they had modified the frame as instructed by Elddis. It has been fine since although I have not been out to the van for 5 weeks so maybe I am tempting fate.

Mark.

• Like 1

You only have two options. Accept another repair or reject it and fight your case. If purchased on Hp notify them. If some paid by credit card notify them. Me I would reject it. Sooner or later the offer to repair will dry up. Let the dealer defend the indefensible quality. make sure you claim for every penny. The amount could be dropped for use you have had but that's a maybe.

• Like 2

I'd reject. Sounds like there is something more fundamentally wrong with things for it to crack each year.

If you are worried there is nothing similar around. Have a look at the Adria Alpina 663PT model.

http://www. adria-mobil. com/caravans/alpina/

It may give you what you need & then clear your mind over what is the right decision.

Think of it another way, if it was a car & it kept having major issues every year for 3 years, would you still have it??

Good luck - I think you know the right way to go - Let us know how you get on. .. :unsure:

• Like 1

Not if the problems were from the outset and the supplying dealer has always undertaken the repairs. The issue the OP may have is "betterment", where a value is ducted for the time used, the courts will not allow the OP to gain from a replacement but still worth seeking. Just another point is that the OP may only have one year manufactures guarantee on the rear panel but this does not affect his consumer rights with the seller, which will undoubtedly have a longer life expectancy on these panels, which form part of the whole caravan structure ;)

Edited by Silverback
  • Like 1

Sooner or later the offer to repair will dry up. Let the dealer defend the indefensible quality. make sure you claim for every penny. The amount could be dropped for use you have had but that's a maybe.

That's my fear having to pay for a repair in the future. We don't like the new vans with the large windows, would rather have the storage space. At the moment still thinking of a repair but must have extended warranty on repair. Might go down route of rejection but willing to have one last repair so long as all my conditions are met and if it cracks again it will be rejected.

• Like 1

That's my fear having to pay for a repair in the future. We don't like the new vans with the large windows, would rather have the storage space. At the moment still thinking of a repair but must have extended warranty on repair. Might go down route of rejection but willing to have one last repair so long as all my conditions are met and if it cracks again it will be rejected.

Just remember that if it cracks again, the van will be 4yrs+ old, so your case for rejection weakens as time goes by. At that point the main warranty will have expired etc.

If you do go down the repair route, make sure the warranty is a factory backed one, as the last thing you want is for the crack to happen again and then struggle to get it fixed.

Personally, they've repaired it 3x already, what makes you think a 4th time will mean they get it right? Don't mean this in a nasty way, just to help get you thinking about the right solution.

Good luck and keep us informed as to what you decide

You need to be looking for another van as this one need rejecting, as has been said you may loose a bit because of use (betterment) but you could counteract some of that with your fuel bills for the past 3 years to and fro.

At 3 years rejection is possible, at 4 years if it cracks again, who knows.

Your dealer needs to sort out a new van and pronto.

When I rejected a Swift I was offered the value of the van to spend on any van they had, new or secondhand or order a new van. I could have pushed for a full refund and walk away but I was just happy that I got the rejection and was happy to deal with them with a new van.

Kev

• Like 1

An inherent fault easily proved so the OP has a good chance of a refund, however if the caravan is on HP then they should get onto the finance company to resolve the issue as technically the caravan still belongs to the finance company. If it does go as far as court, the OP can call the manufacturer as a witness and it is unlikely that Elddis would want to be called as a witness and the repair will disappear quickly if you get my drift.

I totally agree with Mark in that it sound very like your dealer has just replaced the panels without carrying out the frame modification.

My dealer modded the frame and replaced the panel on my 2013 Affinity. I have just cleaned and polished it to within an inch of its life ready for sale/trade-in and there are no signs of top or bottom cracks. Strangely enough though, my cracks appeared in February as well!

Alistair

I totally agree with Mark in that it sound very like your dealer has just replaced the panels without carrying out the frame modification.

My dealer modded the frame and replaced the panel on my 2013 Affinity. I have just cleaned and polished it to within an inch of its life ready for sale/trade-in and there are no signs of top or bottom cracks. Strangely enough though, my cracks appeared in February as well!

Alistair

Strange, so did mine. Like you I'm happy that my dealer modified the frame when fitting the new back 2 years ago. I went to the storage today to swop batteries and as always gave it a close inspection for cracks. All okay.

Ask the dealer if they modified the wood frame behind the panel before fitting the 2nd panel. This was part of the repair process provided by Elddis to all retailers. It sounds to me like they may not have done it. ..

The rear panel on my 2013 Affinity cracked at 9 months old and was replaced as both the bottom and top had cracked. The dealer told me that they had modified the frame as instructed by Elddis. It has been fine since although I have not been out to the van for 5 weeks so maybe I am tempting fate.

Mark.

Sorry to hear of your terrible experience.

We had similar experience to Mark, although not cracks at the bottom. Initially ours was repaired in situ, then we had the shock of finding they had reappeared. Rear panel was then replaced. Supplying dealer unable to do the job so they shipped caravan to a third party. They showed me pictures of the work they had done to champher the wooden structure beneath the panel.

So far so good, but I hold my breath everytime I check the panel.

Wish you all the best with getting this resolved.

Edited by MillieDog

its obiously been recognised that there is a frame fault. when did they start having the frame altered. was this after feb last year???

if so this may now be the cure. no one wants stress and worry with the big IF i win. nor do they want another cracked panel. so maybe a good talk to manufactor and see if they have def resolved the issue on all the other vans with the same fault. but at the same time dont feel as tho youve been fobbed off. cheaper to do a load of phone calls first then is no satisfaction go down the reject route

its obiously been recognised that there is a frame fault. when did they start having the frame altered. was this after feb last year???

if so this may now be the cure. no one wants stress and worry with the big IF i win. nor do they want another cracked panel. so maybe a good talk to manufactor and see if they have def resolved the issue on all the other vans with the same fault. but at the same time dont feel as tho youve been fobbed off. cheaper to do a load of phone calls first then is no satisfaction go down the reject route

No, they were definitely modifying the frame in February 2014.

The repair will only be as good as the man doing the job. I see this alot, manufacturers say modify this way but you always get the odd item that is more out of spec than others. A good man would challenge this and do extra to make sure it doesn't happen again, where most will follow the instructions to the letter and when questioned about the fault returning you get "Well that's what I was told to do".

• Like 1

No, they were definitely modifying the frame in February 2014.

Ours was modified in July/August 2013.

Edited by MillieDog

yes this is true. but if done to the book then the question is to the manufactor(and they should be asking themselves) why is this still happening. Its costing them money too. going back to the refund/rejection. they must have the opportunity to rectify the fault firstly,and in this instance they have had 2 bites of the cherry. so there is cause for concern as to how long this will happen for. mabe they need to be asked "how many have been returned for the same fault" obviously they are not going to say. so is it on a particular year/month that this build its happening to. certainly id be asking if this can be exchanged under the grounds the fault is not going away and may never.

. ..It has been fine since although I have not been out to the van for 5 weeks so maybe I am tempting fate.

Mark.

yep. .. looks like I was indeed tempting fate. Just been out to the van today, this is the 2nd rear panel even with the frame modified underneath.

Mark.

post-58970-0-67804000-1457182957_thumb.jpg

That's awful. What a problem you don't need.

yep. .. looks like I was indeed tempting fate. Just been out to the van today, this is the 2nd rear panel even with the frame modified underneath.

Mark.

attachicon.gifWP_20160305_10_42_57_Pro_LI 1. jpg

Gutted for you. Hope you get it sorted soon