Where Is The Gas Water Heater On Bailey Olympus?

We have just bought a 2012 Bailey Olympus 460/2 caravan. We are new to caravanning and are still working our way through all the appliances, the handbook, etc. We haven't taken the van out as yet.

I'm wondering where the gas heater is located. Is it in the hot water tank itself?

Also, in the handbook, it says to remove the outside cowl cover when using gas to heat the water. Am I right in thinking that this cowl only needs to be removed when the gas heater is use, but not when other gas appliances are in use, such as the cooker, hob or heater?

Many thanks.

Yes, it only needs removing when operating the heating/water system on gas; this is to allow the combustion fumes to escape freely, the cover is to stop dirt and water getting in there when towing. When on electric hookup there is no need to remove the cover.

Cooker/hob (and also fridge) have there own outlets set higher up on the side of the van.

Enjoy your new (to you) caravan.

• Like 1

Word of warning.

Do NOT switch the electric water heater on until the tank is full. Make sure you've hooked up to the external water supply (e. g. aquaroll) and that water is flowing through all hot water taps before switching it on. Otherwise, the electric element will burn out.

Get it wrong and it will cost you about eighty quid for a new element!

• Like 1

To run the water heater on gas make turn the collar of the water heater control to the small flame symbol - you will probably hear the spark ticking until the pilot lights.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

robloasby, on 25 Feb 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

Word of warning.

Do NOT switch the electric water heater on until the tank is full. Make sure you've hooked up to the external water supply (e. g. aquaroll) and that water is flowing through all hot water taps before switching it on. Otherwise, the electric element will burn out.

Get it wrong and it will cost you about eighty quid for a new element!

Do you not think there will be a cut out to give protection for an event like that?

A long time ago on a previous caravan it operated and I had a very hard to find button to press.

In the passed I had a Bailey and the 'fridge did not work very well it turned out the 'fridge outside vents had winter covers on which were not mentioned in the manual which needed removal.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

If you look outside the 'van around where your tank is there should be a cowl which will have a winter cover on this will give you a clue to where your gas heater is, this tank will also have the electric element in for heating the water electrically.

Do you not have the hand book for your 'van it should show you all this including diagrams.

Thank you. Yes, I have the handbook, it has been my winter reading! But it doesn't say where the gas heater is located--I know that now, thank you. Nor does it give a diagram of the gas heating system. It does give full instructions on the operation of the gas water heating system.

Do you not think there will be a cut out to give protection for an event like that?

A long time ago on a previous caravan it operated and I had a very hard to find button to press. In the passed I had a Bailey and the 'fridge did not work very well it turned out the 'fridge outside vents had winter covers on which were not mentioned in the manual which needed removal.

From personal experience, I'm afraid that I can confirm that the Truma element, certainly those fitted to Bailey, does not have a cut-out. I changed mine only a few weeks ago after accidentally switching on without water in the tank when setting up on site. It went pop and also tripped the bollard RCD.

• Like 1