!!! Buying From Europe !!!

Northerner

With the current exchange rate of the euro against the pound, there are much less savings to be had, if any, by buying in Europe, compared to the situation a few years ago. You also need to factor in the cost of collection and changing the electrics to UK type sockets, and the door is on the "wrong" side, etc. Nevertheless, there may still be some small advantage in buying a continental outfit if you don't mind the hastle.

Brian

Hi,

Are we talking about outfits,or cars or caravans?As far as cars are conserned,you will probably get as good a deal in the UK if you buy at the right time or buy a pre-reg. I am comparing the discount that a friend got by buying in Belgium and the price that I paid by buying a pre-reg in UK.

Brian could well be right on the caravan side of things,although a thread that ran on board 1 in the Hobby section was claiming otherwise ie big savings. As far as door position is concerned,aren't some continental manufacturers now making UK friendly vans with the door on the nearside,and UK style interiors? :)

Frank

Mark

I have followed threads on other forums where people have purchased caravans from Germany, particularly Hobby vans. People have found them to be quite a bit cheaper, particularly when compared to the same van for sale in this country. However you do have to remember that a van purchased direct from Germany will not have all the usual fitments that you expect and get in an English van, they have to be purchased as an extra. You might not want everything of course and I suppose at least you get the choice. There is a company where a lot of Brits buy whose name escapes me but if you are interested I could get it for you. The door on the otherside would not be a problem if you use your van in Europe. In this country the biggest bugbare would be stopping in a layby. Should make no difference on a UK site providing you are careful about maintaining the correct space between vans.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Would warrenties be valid
Interesting point. A lot of warranties are Europe wide now. However I understand the largest importer of Hobby vans in this country refuses to even service personal imports. Given that that Hobby dealers are fairly few in this country you could always nip back to Germany to have it service and make it a short holiday. It would also allow you to renew the TUV certificate.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

Mark

I have followed threads on other forums where people have purchased caravans from Germany, particularly Hobby vans. People have found them to be quite a bit cheaper, particularly when compared to the same van for sale in this country. However you do have to remember that a van purchased direct from Germany will not have all the usual fitments that you expect and get in an English van, they have to be purchased as an extra. You might not want everything of course and I suppose at least you get the choice. There is a company where a lot of Brits buy whose name escapes me but if you are interested I could get it for you. The door on the otherside would not be a problem if you use your van in Europe. In this country the biggest bugbare would be stopping in a layby. Should make no difference on a UK site providing you are careful about maintaining the correct space between vans.

David

6933[/snapback]

:) thanks David

please pass on any company names etc. ..

regards

Mark

It is difficult getting any UK manufactured caravan serviced at any mainstream dealer other than the supplying dealer. Getting an imported caravan serviced would be even more difficult. This may affect getting any warranty work done.

At the end of the day you need to look at the pros and cons and see if it worthwhile.

Brian

Mark

This is a company that lots of people use Buying in Germany I think only one page is in English but several of the people at the compant speak good English is you want to e-mail them.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels