• Announcements

• BenF

Forum upgrade   12/10/17

Hi everyone, As you're probably aware, we've been in the process of upgrading the Caravan Talk forum software for a while. I can now confirm that the software has been upgraded and we're fully up to date. Please note that this new software is quite different in appearance and function, so may require a bit of relearning. We are in the process of refining the look, features and experience to make it a bit better and more familiar. If you spot any issues please let us know in the feedback forum. Unfortunately any posts between Monday morning and now have been lost. This is due to when the database snapshot was taken for the upgrade, this may also affect new members since then. We do apologise for this, but we have tried to keep disruption to a minimum. We are already aware and working on the following issues: PayPal payment issues for CT Supporters Forum design, lack of CT branding including colours Temporary loss of reviews databases Navigation bar needs refining We will keep this list up to date, so please check here before posting new updates, or to keep on tabs of our progress. The software was upgraded in order to provide you with a more secure, reliable, faster experience, whilst providing us with more tools to improve the features and options for the forum. Thank you for your continued support. Ben and the CT Team
klyne

Electric Bikes

Just wondered if many on here have them? We are thinking of getting a couple as we think with my knee and Margaret having only a year ago had a heart bypass operation that ordinary push bikes are getting beyond us a bit for anything more that short rides. We don't want to spend a fortune and often the problem with asking advice is that people start suggesting you spend a £1000 upwards which we don't want to do. Folding bikes are being considered as we have to think about the weight and lifting them onto our cycle rack on the motorhome. We have seen two which, one which is pedal assist only and another which can be used powered or powered assist. We quite like the latter but prefer the one that is pedal assist only. Oh, decisions, decisions. Do any of you out there have electric bikes and if what ones and do you think they are a good idea?

David

You get what you pay for if buying new.

Have you thought of Holland or Lincolnshire? No hills, therefore no need for the electric assistance!

A good friend of mine swears by his haibike but I think it was around 5k, he's a fanatical mountain biker but similar to yourself was having problems with his knees, it's power assisted and I've had a go it's superb going uphill feels like pedalling downhill so much much easier. As with everything find the best you can afford, with batteries stick to a well known brand. I'm seeing him over the weekend so I can ask him what to look for etc within your budget which brands are you currently looking at?

You get what you pay for if buying new.

Have you thought of Holland or Lincolnshire? No hills, therefore no need for the electric assistance!

Have you ever cycled in Lincolnshire?

Have you ever cycled in Lincolnshire?

Yes, last year!

Folding bikes are being considered as we have to think about the weight and lifting them onto our cycle rack on the motorhome.

David

Is there any weight saving with folding electric bikes? That seems totally different to non electric bikes.

And do motorhomes typically have the payload for what are likely to be quite heavy items?

I have two electric bikes klyne, an AS Bikes Electro Bike Elite Plus (folder) which has two switchable batteries and a Volt Alpine X mountain bike.

Both of mine were purchased before the law change on January 1st this year and as such they both have throttles independent to pedal assist.

The AS Bikes has a twist grip throttle and the Volt has a thumb throttle.

Have used the Electro Bike, without pedals being used and it did 26 miles with still some juice left in store.

In my case cycling was out of the question without hand throttles to get me underway.

Edit. As a folding bike, the AS is no light weight even with the batteries removed but extremely well engineered.

Edited by Griff

Just wondered if many on here have them? We are thinking of getting a couple as we think with my knee and Margaret having only a year ago had a heart bypass operation that ordinary push bikes are getting beyond us a bit for anything more that short rides. We don't want to spend a fortune and often the problem with asking advice is that people start suggesting you spend a £1000 upwards which we don't want to do. Folding bikes are being considered as we have to think about the weight and lifting them onto our cycle rack on the motorhome. We have seen two which, one which is pedal assist only and another which can be used powered or powered assist. We quite like the latter but prefer the one that is pedal assist only. Oh, decisions, decisions. Do any of you out there have electric bikes and if what ones and do you think they are a good idea?

David

Hi David. I had a total left knee replacement in November 2007 and apart from changing the 170mm cranks to 140mm cranks I have never looked back - I am now just turned 70yrs young.

Ms AWL had triple by-pass surgery two years ago but very sadly sold her Specialize Dolce because of a bad shoulder injury and loss of confidence to ride on the road.

Personally I would not entertain an electric bike because of the risk of ending up with a flat battery and having to pedal a very much heavier bike than even my old old pre- 2000 mountain/hybrid bike weighed.

I suppose a lot depends upon where you live in the Milton Keynes area and I certainly wouldn't relish the idea of lifting and man -handling them onto a rack or even into a caravan or motorhome.

Careful choice of chainrings and sprockets to produce a very usable range of gear ratios is the answer if you already have a reasonably light bikes.

The range within 10kgs and 14kgs is very well catered for with dropped bars and flat-bar hybrids.

My two current bikes are both sub 10. 5kgs.

post-71536-0-41637400-1455834973_thumb.jpg

post-71536-0-50591600-1455835017_thumb.jpg

Edited by AWanderingLancastrian
  • Like 1

David, if you have the time visit the NEC Show next week, we too are interested and will be visiting the stands to suss things out, There is a family firm from Coventry that has been recommended

. .....and apart from changing the 170mm cranks to 140mm cranks. ....

Needed to modify one my cranks more than that AWL, in fact from 170mm to 0mm. :rolleyes:

post-1814-0-08081800-1455835664_thumb.jpeg

Needed to modify one my cranks more than that AWL, in fact from 170mm to 0mm. :rolleyes:

attachicon.gifimage. jpeg

Hi Griff. Why so ? Is this a modification for a cyclist with a knee that cannot bend at the knee at-all ?

I have a pedal assist fold up bike.

The battery sticks out above the back wheel and under the seat. It has 3 levels of assistance if required, but you can also switch it off and use as a normal bike. It will only provide assistance up to 15 mph, although you can pedal a lot faster

With the battery removed it is a about 7 kilos heavier than the standard fold up I used to own, although the quality of the electric one is better.

Cost me £180 as new from a well known auction site. Examples available at approx £500.

Ebay item 281820651438 is identical to mine.

As I reached 60 and with a chronic lung condition I was able to do less and less on my pushbike so I did a lot of research into electric bikes. After trying some makes, I settled on a Kalkhoff pedal assist model. They are good quality and a good bit pricier than your stated budget but I think you really do get what you pay for in that market - their Sahel compact range might suit as they are quite small framed. My friend's wife got another make after an operation and it was a tank by comparison and quite hard to pedal even with assist. Uncomfortable too.

Lots of stories highlight the need to get one with good quality batteries because they are expensive to replace.

In my 2 year experience with my Kalkhoff I have found I can ride 30-40 miles in hilly Devon and feel good at the end of it. No pain or stiffness. On my pushbike, it's more like 4-10 miles. I love being able to get back out and about and I hope you find the right bike and do the same.

• Like 1

Yes, last year!

In the Wolds? and I bet you had a head wind all the time :D

I do about 4 to 5,000 a year on the bike around here and it is lumpier than many expect, but for the views well the wolds are great.

. Do any of you out there have electric bikes and if what ones and do you think they are a good idea?

I have one of the ASBikes from Coventry - the one Rita gives the link to. I've had it for four years now and it's extremely well-built and has been first class. I bring it with me to Spain for the winter where during the four months I'm here, I do on average 300 miles per stay. The bike folds and fits nicely in the rear of the estate. The battery is still original and seems to be still coping well. As has been stated, since the start of January twist grips and power only bikes have been made illegal. I believe they have been illegal in Spain for a few years, which is why I start to pedal when in sight of the 'law'.

Regarding price - when I bought mine, its delivered price was just over £600. Now it is rather more?

Hi Griff. Why so ? Is this a modification for a cyclist with a knee that cannot bend at the knee at-all ?

In a way yes AWL.

Have tried sending you a PM but get a message telling me that you cannot receive any, is your box full?

Hi David

We purchased a couple of Electro Bike Plus from http://www. asbikes. co. uk/ last year and I have to say they have been an excellent purchase. You can try before you buy if you arrange a demo at their Coventry shop or try them at the many Caravan/Motorhome shows they attend.

We went for the full sized frame folding version with 2 batteries (but 1 battery is probably enough). We went for the "twist & Go" but as stated by OP they became illegal for purchases after 1 Jan this year.

Service and support by AS Bikes was superb - would highly recommend them.

Regards

David, as has been mentioned http://www. asbikes. co. uk/electro-bike-plus-10-p. asp are in Coventry, so not a million miles from you, and if you are up in Derbyshire way https://www. juicybike. co. uk/ also sell E bikes.

Juicy bikes also have agents around the country, (perhaps AS bikes also), and I am sure that they sell ex demonstrators from their workshop. The info used to be on their web site, but I cannot find it. Bit of a trail for you, but it could be combined with a trip up north.

I do think that you get what you pay for, and both of these firms seem to have good reputations for back up.

Usual no connection comment.

Edited by wigandiver

In the Wolds? and I bet you had a head wind all the time :D

I do about 4 to 5,000 a year on the bike around here and it is lumpier than many expect, but for the views well the wolds are great.

No, Skegness area, not a hill in sight!

No, Skegness area, not a hill in sight!

If you had looked over shoulder you would have seen the Lincolnshire Wolds, they are a really nce area to cycle around or drive (slowly) as well.

David,

If you already have bikes, then a conversion kit to power the front wheel may be a better financial choice. There are various battery capacities available, so you would need to choose the one best suited to the kind of mileage you intend to do between charges. We have a couple of kits from Cyclotricity who actually make their own hub motors, while some "manufacturers" buy in motors from the far east, and this can sometimes cause problems when seeking spares or replacements.

We've travelled many thousands of miles with the bikes on the rear of the caravan, and to be honest, lifting was not the main concern, but rather, remembering that the bikes were there when walking around the rear of the 'van. Trust me, walking into a high mounted bike rack is no fun! Unless you intend to store your bikes in the MH, then I don't see any advantage with having folding bikes. We have a couple of normal folders that live in the MH garage, but to be honest they're not the most comfortable means of transport for more than a couple of miles, plus the smaller wheels make balancing more of an art!

Hope this is some help.

Gordon.

Links:-

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/111126-thinking-of-a-twist-and-go-electric-get-in-quick/?hl=electric

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/104104-electric-bikes-are-many-out-there-using-them/?hl=electric

http://www. pedelecs. co. uk

http://www. asbikes. co. uk

https://www. juicybike. co. uk

http://www. kudoscycles. com/product_info. php?cPath=1&products_id=273

• Like 1

If you had looked over shoulder you would have seen the Lincolnshire Wolds, they are a really nce area to cycle around or drive (slowly) as well.

I know the Wolds are there, but the Wolds, like the Downs and loads of other lovely places, are full of ups, and ups are not popular with my legs or lungs when on a bike! So when I want to use my bike I find places without too many ups.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the contributions and links which have been most helpful. The weight issue is not so much what the motorhome will take, the bike rack is rated at 65kgs, but more our ability to be able to lift the bike up 3 feet onto the rack so the lighter and less bulky the better. I have thought about conversion of our current bikes but they are fairly basic mountain bikes from Halfords so whether its worth spending three times their purchase on a kit I am not sure when for almost the same we could buy new bikes. The rules on throttle control bikes applies to bikes manufactured from 2016 onwards if I have read it correctly. However there are some countries that like to enforce rules regardless of the finer details of when they came into effect so perhaps better to stick to power assist. I suspect we will eventually decide on a more modestly priced model as we are not yet convinced how much we will use them. Margaret is quite nervous about riding on roads which does limit us a bit. We don't particularly need folding bikes but they would have the advantage of going in our car if we wanted to use them locally and also they could be stored in the motorhome for security whilst we were out doing other things.

David

Hi, have 2 folding bikes which I got from a company called Woosh Bikes, put this name in google and it will come up, paid 550 each for them over 2 years ago and still going strong on same batteries, they have a good choice on their site and they are still a good price, good luck with what you decide to do Mark