Citroen C4 130 Puretech

Has anyone any experience towing with a C4 130 puretech 1. 2 petrol.

Towing figures at 1550 kg seem encouraging but the caravan club matching service are not so encouraging using our 1370kg max weight caravan.

I'd welcome members thoughts, thanks.

If it is 130bhp from a 1. 2L petrol engine then it must have a turbo. The problem will be lack of torque and the likely need to rev the nuts off it to get it going.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

If it is 130bhp from a 1. 2L petrol engine then it must have a turbo. The problem will be lack of torque and the likely need to rev the nuts off it to get it going.

What are the torque figures like on these?

Parkers gives the kerb weight as being 1280kgs, so your car just isn`t suitable for towing a caravan that heavy.

The recommended ratio of 85% gives a figure of 1088 kgs, even at 100% your car is still too light for the van,

Seems to be a decent little engine, but that isn`t the biggest concern.

What are the torque figures like on these?

188 lb/ft @ 1750 rpm

• Like 1

Has anyone any experience towing with a C4 130 puretech 1. 2 petrol.

Towing figures at 1550 kg seem encouraging but the caravan club matching service are not so encouraging using our 1370kg max weight caravan.

I'd welcome members thoughts, thanks.

Do you own the car already? If so, what's the mass in service? The quoted kerbweight sounds very light and I'm wondering if this is the manufacturer wanting to make the case sound as light as possible.

The torque figures look pretty good as does the tow limit. I wouldn't rule it out yet.

Thanks for all the replies so far, test drove the car today and have to say the engine is a little belter, as good as our 125bhp Mondeo. We were ready to purchase until a quick outfit match with CC suggested a kerbweight ratio of 114% may lead to instability problems.

We have been towing for 26 years, and thought perhaps a slightly smaller car would suit us better and the new puretech petrol might be the way to go.

Still can't believe a car towing limit of 1550kg could be a problem towing only 1370kg.

Thanks for all the replies so far, test drove the car today and have to say the engine is a little belter, as good as our 125bhp Mondeo. We were ready to purchase until a quick outfit match with CC suggested a kerbweight ratio of 114% may lead to instability problems.

We have been towing for 26 years, and thought perhaps a slightly smaller car would suit us better and the new puretech petrol might be the way to go.

Still can't believe a car towing limit of 1550kg could be a problem towing only 1370kg.

That is a high limit, especially given the C4 cactus has a very low limit I think?

Citroen must have some confidence in the car, they don't seem to be notorious for generous limits.

IMO 'Towing limit' refers to the ability of the car to pull the given weight and stop it without breaking anything structural. It takes no account of stability or good practice when towing an unweildy tin box at speed. I'd look for a bigger vehicle.

hawkaye :beardy:

If you really like the C4 and are into using the published weights for these decisions, the 2. 0 hdi has a min kerbweight of 1360kg. (Max tow weight of 1750kg)

C4 130 puretech 1. 2 petrol is far too small for the caravan - C4 Grand Picasso would be much better.

I'm well happy with mine

Citroen-C4-Grand-Picasso--(4).jpg

Edited by Wunny
  • Thanks 1

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

C4 130 puretech 1. 2 petrol is far too small for the caravan - C4 Grand Picasso would be much better.

I'm well happy with mine

Citroen-C4-Grand-Picasso--(4).jpg

Do you mean too light (by some measures but not legally)?

I'm sure the C4 grand Picasso is lovely but may not be in any way suitable for the OP.

Edited by AlfaEuropa

Do you mean too light (by some measures but not legally)?

I'm sure the C4 grand Picasso is lovely but may not be in any way suitable for the OP.

Yes, too light -it's still too small though.

Yes it is lovely, but it may still be suitable for the OP. Down sizing isn't always what people want, it's only what they think they want. - cars or houses.

The C4 GP is about and 83% match for the OP's caravan weight.

Only the OP can decide whether he wants a smaller car, or a smaller (lighter) caravan.

Thanks once again for the comments.

I was particularly intrigued by the 1. 2 3 cylinder petrol unit, in C4 130 bhp tune, and from yesterdays test drive turns out to be a willing little unit.

We have owned diesels for 27 years, we just thought perhaps now may be the time to explore the new efficient Euro 6 petrols in a slightly smaller car, commensurate with towing our 1370kg Lunar.

We have also towed with a variety of vehicles from a Skoda Fabia 1. 9tdi to a VW Transporter van and 4x4s, the Skoda being the most surprisingly frugal and punchy vehicle we have towed with, albeit coupled to a 900kg caravan.

• Like 1

Yes, too light -it's still too small though.

Yes it is lovely, but it may still be suitable for the OP. Down sizing isn't always what people want, it's only what they think they want. - cars or houses.

The C4 GP is about and 83% match for the OP's caravan weight.

Only the OP can decide whether he wants a smaller car, or a smaller (lighter) caravan.

I don't really understand the "too small" comment, though I can see how at first glance, it's on the light side.

I don't really understand the "too small" comment, though I can see how at first glance, it's on the light side.

Too me it's too small, it's smaller than a C4 Picasso and the C4 Cactus. I've driven both and found them cramped and too low, with a small-ish boot space compared to the C4 Grand Picasso. Perhaps I've been spoilt.

IMO 'Towing limit' refers to the ability of the car to pull the given weight and stop it without breaking anything structural. It takes no account of stability or good practice when towing an unweildy tin box at speed. I'd look for a bigger vehicle.

There are several schools of thought on what matching approach should be used. The towing limit is based on the ability of the vehicle to pull away with a trailer of the given mass five times in five minutes in standardised circumstances (either 8% or 12% gradient - 12% figures are more usual). Some hills in the UK are steeper than 12%, whilst those towing abroad might be towing at a substantially greater altitude than that covered by the test.

It seems to be generally accepted that caravan matches should be more conservative than other types of trailer, as caravans are large for their mass. A caravan is more prone to crosswind related effects than other types of trailer. For this reason, the towing limit doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to caravans.

I think most would question the wisdom of a combination that has a caravan MTPLM of much more than 100% of the mass in running order of the vehicle. If the figure Angus quotes for the MIRO of the car is correct, a 1280kg MIRO car and a 1370kg MTPLM caravan seems unwise.

Small lightweight turbo petrol engines have rightly become popular for solo use, but are lighter than a diesel engine. Diesels also have the advantage over petrol of torque low down in the rev range. It is only in the last few years that equivalent caravans have stopped getting heavier year on year and this, coupled with the tendency for equivalent cars to become lighter, can make matching a challenge.