Sign in to follow this  
Davros18

Alde Heating Stopped Working - Any Tips?

Hi all

The Alde heating in my 2016 Buccaneer has stopped working and I wondered if anybody has any tips I can try?

The heating has been questionable since our first trip, initially the under floor worked a treat and although the radiators got warm there seemed to be very little heat circulating, there also seemed to be the odd occasion where the van cooled down significantly despite the temperature being below the set level and the circulation pump symbol being on. I should point out that I have had Alde heating on my previous van so I know how the system should feel and the time taken to warm up.

This weekend the heating just stopped working, the circulation pump symbol is on but there is no heat in the system. I have checked and the fuses are all okay but the pipes in and out of the header tank are both cold so none of the radiators or underfloor heating are getting warm.

One thing I was always concerned about was on my old van I could always hear the when the system was on via the impeller type pump in the header tank, on this van I have never been able to hear anything at all.

I have booked an appointment with my dealer but I can't get it there until the end of Feb so was hoping there was something simple I could look at myself.

Thanks in advance

Davros

Phone your dealer, he might be able to point you in the right direction!

John. :)

You should hear the boiler mounted pump, mine on speed 2 makes a whining noise.

Are you getting hot water?

If the pump is not running heat even if there will not be distributed.

If heat is there the "hot" water will be hot.

So, have you hot water, proving boiler is working or not.

If so then the pump is not being effective; either it is not told to work, it can't spin. or it spins aimlessly because the system is air locked.

Does that, yield any further info for us to work with?

Just a thought, in addition to the advise already provided, check that the correct pump is selected on the panel, it may be set to expansion tank pump instead of boiler mounted pump.

I had a replacement control unit supplied, when connected up, the pump was not working, a quick call to Alde and Joakim talked me through the set up, so maybe the power to the unit has been upset and the settings have gone to default.

Edited by kiaboy

Thanks for the prompt responses.

I did ask the dealer for advice and they were reluctant to offer any without seeing the van, hence I booked it in.

I'm not sure whether or not I had hot water, we got back to the van on Sunday and realised the heating had gone off and as I couldn't get it working we decided to pack up early and so I drained the system. There was hot water in the tank but this could have been still hot from when the heating was working.

The pump is definitely not spinning.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again

Davros

Thanks for the prompt responses.

I did ask the dealer for advice and they were reluctant to offer any without seeing the van, hence I booked it in.

I'm not sure whether or not I had hot water, we got back to the van on Sunday and realised the heating had gone off and as I couldn't get it working we decided to pack up early and so I drained the system. There was hot water in the tank but this could have been still hot from when the heating was working.

The pump is definitely not spinning.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again

Davros

That's why I suggested you check which pump has been "selected" on the panel, if the expansion tank pump is selected then the boiler pump will not run.

Thanks Kiaboy

I was typing my response when you replied so missed your suggestion.

I will have a look at the settings.

If it helps with suggestions I could put some water in and try the hot water?

Davros

• Like 1

Thanks Kiaboy

I was typing my response when you replied so missed your suggestion.

I will have a look at the settings.

If it helps with suggestions I could put some water in and try the hot water?

Davros

Well doing that will one way or other prove the boiler is working; however if the pump is not spinning when it should the problem appears to lay there, though there are several reasons why it might not be working. Such as not being told to by the computer, including here the wrong pump being signalled, stuck so not able to spin, blown fuse, are some thoughts coming to mind. I suspect if it was working the computer is selected to the right pump but I don't know if the computer can forget its settings following a glitch. IMO you need an Alde trained engineer, unlikely to be your dealer. On Alde UK's web site are listings of their engineers throughout the UK.

Edited by JTQ

Well doing that will one way or other prove the boiler is working; however if the pump is not spinning when it should the problem appears to lay there, though there are several reasons why it might not be working. Such as not being told to by the computer, including here the wrong pump being signalled, stuck so not able to spin, blown fuse, are some thoughts coming to mind. I suspect if it was working the computer is selected to the right pump but I don't know if the computer can forget its settings following a glitch. IMO you need an Alde trained engineer, unlikely to be your dealer. On Alde UK's web site are listings of their engineers throughout the UK.

I found the guys at Alde, (Joakim especially), more than helpful, They are still testing my control unit since last year as I was experiencing the battery back up failing, he even arranged to have a replacement back up sent out to me to test without asking, they are really the guys to talk to.

Are we talking header tank pump or the multi speed type pump on the boiler?

If it's the header tank type, then it'll be obvious just by removing the pump from the header tank that it's not working. If it's the boiler mounted type, then it's more difficult to ascertain if it's spinning. Either way, something's happened, be it a panel setting or duff pump but hope you get to the bottom of this.

Stands back and waits for the "anti Alde" brigade to start throwing their toys out of their pram lol. :ph34r:

Having looked through the settings the only reference I can find to pump selection is "Optional Pump", this wasn't ticked but having done that the pump is still not working. As it worked previously and I haven't ever been into that section of the menu I'm not sure it was ever selected so I don't know whether it should be ticked or not?

Just think about how it seemed to lose heat quite suddenly but the circulation symbol remaining, is this what would happen if there was an air lock?

I previously PM'd Alde and Joakim gave me some advice about the pump settings, at this point I could feel the pump vibrating slightly but now there is nothing so I'm guessing there is either a supply issue or the pump has failed?

I will try the hot water tomorrow and update.

Thanks

Davros

Are we talking header tank pump or the multi speed type pump on the boiler?

If it's the header tank type, then it'll be obvious just by removing the pump from the header tank that it's not working. If it's the boiler mounted type, then it's more difficult to ascertain if it's spinning. Either way, something's happened, be it a panel setting or duff pump but hope you get to the bottom of this.

Stands back and waits for the "anti Alde" brigade to start throwing their toys out of their pram lol. :ph34r:

Hi Pebble

My initial concern over the performance of the heating was that on my old van I could hear the pump in the header /expansion tank working, but on my new van there has never been any indication the pump in the header tank works but apart from the sudden temperature drops the radiators warmed up.

The issue from this weekend seems to be related to the multi speed pump on the boiler which has now stopped working meaning I don't get any heat at all to the radiators.

Thanks

Davros

Just think about how it seemed to lose heat quite suddenly but the circulation symbol remaining, is this what would happen if there was an air lock?

Air locks stop the pump circulating the fluid and so the heat, but they don't stop the pump spinning round. So you need to be very specific, is the pump rotating, ie the impeller is spinning; this should be something you can hear.

The panel will still show the symbol, the pump will still run but the fluid will not be circulating round the system.

If it is an airlock the cure is pretty simple to fix DIY but needs a methodical approach or the easy prime kit Alde sell.

If you are going to attempt a DIY prime to get rid of the air lock(s) then you will be in a better position if first you can get somebody here to tell you where ALL the bleeders are located.

Edited by JTQ

Air locks stop the pump circulating the fluid and so the heat, but they don't stop the pump spinning round. So you need to be very specific, is the pump rotating, ie the impeller is spinning; this should be something you can hear.

The panel will still show the symbol, the pump will still run but the fluid will not be circulating round the system.

The symbol is showing on the panel but neither the header tank pump nor the pump on the boiler are spinning.

when the circulating pump is running, you can very often see the fluid moving in the expansion tank, so if there is no movement it would suggest the pump isn't running. if it's the one in the expansion tank you can easily lift it up to see if the pump is actually working.

The symbol is showing on the panel but neither the header tank pump nor the pump on the boiler are spinning.

if you are sure of that then it is not an air lock issue [unfortunately]. I would be getting a multi meter on the pump to see if it is being powered with 12 vDC.

there is a fuse on my distribution unit marked"alde heating". it may be worth checking yours.

You can go into the maintenance menu pages and look at the glycol temperature, that will tell you if the fluid is hot and just not being pumped. If you select gas you should also be able to hear and feel if it is lit by the flue. if the burner is running then it will be getting hot too.

• Like 1

So you have two pumps?

One for the floor heating and the other for the central heating?

Edited by xtrailman

You don't say whether you are trying it on mains or gas.

If mains check the breaker is set, a lot of vans have a mains switch for the Alde and it is common for feet or children to knock it off, there is no switch in my Buccaneer but there is the mains breaker.

Is the coolant level correct in the header tank? It may have leaked out or been drained by accident.

The boiler mounted pump speed is adjustable check it has not been turned all the way down, difficult to see but setting in mid position would be a good place to start.

Ian

So you have two pumps?One for the floor heating and the other for the central heating?

Only one pump for both.

Ian

• Like 1

So you have two pumps?

One for the floor heating and the other for the central heating?

Apologies Xtrailman that's me confusing things! - I only have one pump which is the multi speed type on the side of the boiler which does both systems, there is also an impeller (I think that what its called) in the header tank in the wardrobe, neither are working.

You don't say whether you are trying it on mains or gas.

If mains check the breaker is set, a lot of vans have a mains switch for the Alde and it is common for feet or children to knock it off, there is no switch in my Buccaneer but there is the mains breaker.

Is the coolant level correct in the header tank? It may have leaked out or been drained by accident.

The boiler mounted pump speed is adjustable check it has not been turned all the way down, difficult to see but setting in mid position would be a good place to start.

Ian

Only one pump for both.

Ian

Hi Ian

I have tried on both gas and electric, with gas I can feel the large corrugated pipe (which I think is the flue) getting warm but none of the heating pipes warm up, on electric there is no indication of anything working. I have also checked the breakers which are okay and the variable speed setting on the pump is set to 2, there is also fluid in the header tank.

Although I'm beginning to think the pump may have failed and a trip to the dealer is unavoidable I just wanted to thank you all for your input, I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

Davros

I only have one pump which is the multi speed type on the side of the boiler which does both systems, there is also an impeller (I think that what its called) in the header tank in the wardrobe, neither are working.

Hello there.

Checking the BOM for the 2016 Buccanneer models with underfloor heating, we can see that they have the 12 V inline pump mounted on the side of the 3020 Compact HE boiler.

For this pump, "Main Manual 12V" should be ticked in Installed Accessories Menu of the Alde control panel. Neither "Optional Pump" or "Main Manual 230V" should be ticked.

Having done this, reset the Alde control panel to restore factory default settings (this won't reset Installed Accessories).

If that doesn't solve the problem, set the desired temp to 30 and hot water to half volume (normal), then try turning the blue speed dial on the pump fully clockwise, listen, fully counter-clockwise, listen. You should hear a very distinctive change in the noise, louder then quieter. If nothing occurs, no noise at all, you can be fairly certain that the pump isn't running. Finding the reason might need further investigation by your dealer.

• Like 6

Good tip from ALDE as always!

• Like 1