Italy Motorway Tolls

Can anyone advise on the merits of the telepass with via card.

We propose to spend a month touring,with caravan, Italy in Sept this year and assume we will use the motorways.

Is the expense of the pass justified for a month?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Few replies and I guess few people bother with the system for Italy.

For France the ATMB company gives me a windscreen tag free of charge, it sits on my windscreen for ever, and if I use it the toll charges appear on my credit card bill. For Italy the toll tickets company offer to hire me a tag with a rental charge and it has to be returned to them, so in Italy I personally would just use a credit card at the toll booth.

But the Viacard system is not wildly expensive so why not give it a go and tell us about it afterwards? Good luck.

Edited by moorgate

We travelled to como last year and we have italian relatives in Brescia. We didn't have the caravan but we just paid the tolls . I think the Swiss one was the most expensive but it lasts 12 months . I'd be very interested to find out what the difference is if any

A tag in France is useful because you often have to pay for lots of different stretches. In Italy you seem to be able to complete your whole journey using the original ticket and only pay once when you exit. That might question the need for a motorway tag for Italy?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

A tag in France is useful because you often have to pay for lots of different stretches. In Italy you seem to be able to complete your whole journey using the original ticket and only pay once when you exit. That might question the need for a motorway tag for Italy?

David

David,

I always used to find it the other way round, but I would agree that the Italians have streamlined their system in recent years, allowing greater stretches between tollbooths. We were in Italy last summer and found you could travel a fair way before having to stop at tolls. I have an ATMB tag for France which was free and costs very little extra above the toll cost ( less than 2 Euros for each month in which you use the tag). I've looked at the Italian equivalent, but from what I could see you had to pay rental on the tag plus a supplement of something like 9% on top of the toll cost. Like you, I concluded that it probably wasn't worthwhile.

Pete

Last year we travelled to Tuscany with the 'van and just used a credit card at the tolls. Probably added 30 seconds to the journey.

Perhaps the Italian software is more advanced, the main reason in France for multiple tolls is the city or town by pass which is normally free, plus cost /Km are not all standard, but a start point and an end point could be calculated using known free Kms.

As a regular visitor to Italy, I'd say don't bother, just pay as you go, ideally with a fee free debit card.

Note - when paying by card, you more often than not do not get a receipt. Keep a note. ..

We have never had issue

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

As a regular visitor to Italy, I'd say don't bother, just pay as you go, ideally with a fee free debit card.

Note - when paying by card, you more often than not do not get a receipt. Keep a note. ..

We have never had issue

Russ

I can see you have a motorhome and we have seen plenty of those over in italy. How would you rate taking a caravan over there? Are the sites easy access?, because we would struggle trying to get to our relatives with a van on the back. . . .

I can see you have a motorhome and we have seen plenty of those over in italy. How would you rate taking a caravan over there? Are the sites easy access?, because we would struggle trying to get to our relatives with a van on the back. . . .

Before we changed to a motorhome we took our caravan to Italy several times between 1992 and 2012. Usually no trouble in gaining access to campsites although some can be a bit tight getting to pitches. Always suggest a walk round the site first to select pitch. Some sites in popular areas like Lake Garda are very large. Perhaps if you mention where your relatives live (general area) some might be able to suggest campsites.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I have been to Italy several times with a caravan and not found the sites a problem but as David said always always walk the site first and I do this everywhere else too and work out access to the pitch before bringing the van onto the site proper.

Hi

I have never had a caravan, so can only offer my thoughts based on what I see, rather than experience.

You are correct, there are a lot of motorhomes in Italy, it's the culture of many Euro countries, with France and German key leaders in the motorhome market.

The Brits and Dutch though love their caravans, and I have often said "where ever we go, we always see loads of Dutch caravans". So I think there is your answer. You might not do some of the mountain passes, but you could have a drive out solo etc.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Before we changed to a motorhome we took our caravan to Italy several times between 1992 and 2012. Usually no trouble in gaining access to campsites although some can be a bit tight getting to pitches. Always suggest a walk round the site first to select pitch. Some sites in popular areas like Lake Garda are very large. Perhaps if you mention where your relatives live (general area) some might be able to suggest campsites.

David

My relatives live in Brescia not far from lake Iseo & Garda