I've read somewhere on CT regarding paying a deposit with a credit card so that youGet some sort of

assistance from the credit card company if there is a problem with your van,

If I pay back the credit card company back in full, would I still get the assistance if needed, or do I pay it

off over a period of time thus keeping the ccc involved,

Ray

+1, expanded to add:

How does it work and what are the limits?
Section 75 (of the Consumer Credit Act 1974) offers protection for items or services valued £100 up to £30,000, of which at least part of the purchase was made with a credit card. Purchases under and over these thresholds cannot be considered.

So, if you buy something for £500 but only pay £50 with a credit card, you would be protected for the full amount.
However these thresholds only apply to single transactions, so for example if you buy two concert tickets at £99 each at the same time, these would not be covered unless they were bundled by the promoter as a 'two-for-one' deal.
You would also not be covered even if admin fees and delivery charges took the total cost of a single item above £100.
There isn't a time limit for making a claim under Section 75, however the statute of limitations in the UK is six years (five in Scotland) so this is the deadline you have to work to if you were to pursue a Section 75 claim through the courts.
I made sure I recently paid £1000 of the purchase price of our new van (rest was a mix of trade-in value and cash) for the express purpose of gaining this protection. Well worth considering, imho, regardless of how much you trust the seller, as it's another free layer of protection.
  • Like 2

As long as you pay £100 or more deposit you are covered by the CC company even if the card is paid up and then cancelled.

Spot on . ...Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

I bought both my car and van using the credit card for the deposit and paid it off at the end of the month. I then use my debit card to pay the balance.

Never ever use your debit card for online transactions as you've no protection and it gives people access to your bank account. Always use a credit card

So far there's only been one company that I've had to threaten with getting the CC involved when their service was less than it should have been and they were reluctant to sort it out.

• Like 1

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

+1, expanded to add:

How does it work and what are the limits?
Section 75 (of the Consumer Credit Act 1974) offers protection for items or services valued £100 up to £30,000, of which at least part of the purchase was made with a credit card. Purchases under and over these thresholds cannot be considered.

So, if you buy something for £500 but only pay £50 with a credit card, you would be protected for the full amount.
However these thresholds only apply to single transactions, so for example if you buy two concert tickets at £99 each at the same time, these would not be covered unless they were bundled by the promoter as a 'two-for-one' deal.
You would also not be covered even if admin fees and delivery charges took the total cost of a single item above £100.
There isn't a time limit for making a claim under Section 75, however the statute of limitations in the UK is six years (five in Scotland) so this is the deadline you have to work to if you were to pursue a Section 75 claim through the courts.
I made sure I recently paid £1000 of the purchase price of our new van (rest was a mix of trade-in value and cash) for the express purpose of gaining this protection. Well worth considering, imho, regardless of how much you trust the seller, as it's another free layer of protection.

From the above if you buy a Buccaneer caravan paying a £1000 desposit with a CC, you will not be covered as the caravan is in excess of £30000!

Quite so - I only found out about those restrictions recently myself, and thought it might be useful to bring to everyone's attention.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need any protection because everything would be made fit for purpose, etc (not likely to happen in our lifetimes, I suggest), but I for one have been extremely grateful for the additional string to the bow. ..

Not sure if advertising is allowed, but Martin's Money Tips (other good websites, e. g. Which? and others) has a good section with references, so folks can independently verify my understandings

Edited by Coriolis
  • Like 1

I used section 75 to sort out a six month old car that "was a joke".

Russ

• Like 1

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

My nearly one year old computer went kaput on the same day that the firm who sold it to me went into liquidation. I had paid for it with my credit card and paid off the credit card at the end of the month as normal.

A friend persuaded me to ring the credit card company and the man there gave me a phone number to quote to any repairer I took the computer to. The computer man came off the phone and told me I was a lucky woman as he had been told to fix it regardless of cost and not bother me with any fees as the credit card company would pay, which they did. I have never bought anything without paying on my credit card since.

• Like 3

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

My nearly one year old computer went kaput on the same day that the firm who sold it to me went into liquidation. I had paid for it with my credit card and paid off the credit card at the end of the month as normal.

A friend persuaded me to ring the credit card company and the man there gave me a phone number to quote to any repairer I took the computer to. The computer man came off the phone and told me I was a lucky woman as he had been told to fix it regardless of cost and not bother me with any fees as the credit card company would pay, which they did. I have never bought anything without paying on my credit card since.

And it's also strange how shops who have told you that' it's nothing to do with them, suddenly change their mind when you mention section 75 to them. Martin Lewis you are a star! . ...Peter

Retired and loving it.

One thing to note here is to be aware of what I consider to be sharp practice on the part of a dealer. I recently bought a new small car from dealer, on top of the basic price there was a few extras such as parking sensors that were added on.

I paid a proportion of the car price on cc but on the invoice this wasn't shown as such, instead it was only shown against the cost of the extras. This made the car look as though it was all paid for as cash or dealer contribution and only the extras were covered by the cc payment.

I had the invoice changed to show the total price and what had been paid by cc.

• Like 3

One thing to note here is to be aware of what I consider to be sharp practice on the part of a dealer. I recently bought a new small car from dealer, on top of the basic price there was a few extras such as parking sensors that were added on.

I paid a proportion of the car price on cc but on the invoice this wasn't shown as such, instead it was only shown against the cost of the extras. This made the car look as though it was all paid for as cash or dealer contribution and only the extras were covered by the cc payment.

I had the invoice changed to show the total price and what had been paid by cc.

Well spotted and a good lesson for us all to check

Retired and loving it.

Free protection for all shopping!

There's a little-known piece of legislation that turns any credit card into a financial self-defence superhero. 'Section 75' of the Consumer Credit Act means your plastic must protect anything you buy for more than £100 for free, so if there's a problem or the company goes bust, you can still get your money back.

And although Section 75 doesn't apply to debit cards, there is something else to fall back on if you've paid using a debit card, or used a credit card for a purchase under £100. Known as Chargeback, this is part of banks' and card companies' internal rules and not a legal requirement. Read full details of Section 75 or Chargeback, plus how to claim, in our guides.

Just a section of Martin Lewis's website explanation. ......Peter

• Like 1

Retired and loving it.

There's a little-known piece of legislation that turns any credit card into a financial self-defence superhero. 'Section 75' of the Consumer Credit Act means your plastic must protect anything you buy for more than £100 for free, so if there's a problem or the company goes bust, you can still get your money back.

And although Section 75 doesn't apply to debit cards, there is something else to fall back on if you've paid using a debit card, or used a credit card for a purchase under £100. Known as Chargeback, this is part of banks' and card companies' internal rules and not a legal requirement. Read full details of Section 75 or Chargeback, plus how to claim, in our guides.

I bought my car with a debit card and the dealer suggested that I should buy a warrantee with it, we'd had a bit of a banter when he offered me a paint sealant job on the car for about £350 and I showed him the ebay offer of £11 for the kit.

When he suggested buying a warrantee I said there's no need for a warrantee as my statuary rights and my credit card will cover me and I'll put a claim in against you for any repairs.

When I picked the car up they'd included a warrantee free of charge :)

however as much as dislike credit cards, ever since reading about all the problems on here, I now use a credit card to pay part.

• Like 1

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Wow - what a fantastic thread

I paid my deposit by credit card on a new caravan, not due until mid April, but did so only as I wanted to keep the finances separate to our usual day to day finances

I'm so glad I did now as I had no real understanding of the full protection. This has been really useful

Just to add - we're due to exchange our car next month and had no intention of using my credit card as they usually charge but will make sure £1K is paid on the card now

Edited by higgy66

As per an earlier post, section 75 only covers you for purchases between £100 and £30000. In addiotn, I have been told that if you buy 3 seperate items and the tally comes to +£100 you do not have the same protection is each item is under £100.

You’ll be able to make a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as long as:

• At least part of the goods or services were purchased on your credit card by you, the main cardholder (additional cardholders or third parties won’t be covered)
  • The single value of the one item is between £100 to £30,000
  • The purchase was made less than six years ago