Sign in to follow this  
Ancona

2016 Pegasus Rimini Series 4 First Outing.

Finally managed to get away planned 2 nights but due to the windy weather only managed the 1.

Can not say I am totally impressed,

Unable to get a 4 pint milk carton in the fridge door.

Struggled to open the fridge on arrival, screws for the catch had worked loose causing the plastic door ajar latch to snap in two.

Dream sleep front seating area does not work in day mode the lower half of the cushion stays in place but the top cushion keeps sliding forward between 3 and 5 inches making the seat very uncomfortable,it's the same for both front seats, have e-mailed Bailey to see if they are aware and if they have a fix sent last night and waiting for a reply, will say the bed is the best caravan bed I have ever slept on.

Washroom sink flooded out cupboard below it as the waste drain tube was not pushed fully home and the screw holding the plug assembly was loose.

Found the home for the screw found on the washroom floor on cleaning the van had come from one of the rear window window stays.

Can anyone please advise how to get hot water for four people to shower and to keep the caravan hot when it's 4 degrees outside, we either had cold water or cold air, tried a combination on electric or the mixed setting any advise would be appreciated.

Pressed the rcd button on the consumer unit and it would not release,kept flicking it and it flew apart now held in with insulation tape.

Found caravan very bouncy so will be adding shock absorbers in the near future.

Had a great weekend but now disalusioned with the new caravan especially the front seats.

Ancona

• Like 3

Sorry to hear your word Ancona. I'd whip it straight in the dealers again, and ask them to do a proper pdi this time.

We used to have the whale heater on the last one, and there used to be a water boost function and that worked a treat for us. Heating didn't have to cut off either

Edited by milkymarsh
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear you had so many issues. We are still waiting for our palermo and I guess it gives me a few pointers to check. Could you update what bailey's response is to the seating when you get a reply.

http://www. caravanguard. co. uk/news/bailey-pegasus-gt-65-rimini-caravan-review-4834/

Not really what you want to hear but looks like there are issues with the heating.

There certainly seems to be some mods that work though!

That link goes to a review and comments on a GT65 Pegasus, the predecessor to the new Series 4.

There is a very good youtube video from truma on how the system works especially the boost function. On my phone so can't add a link

Oh dear, that's not very good at all.

Hope you get it sorted.

I noticed that movement in the seating when I looked round one at our dealer, commented to the wife.

I wondered if the addition of some velcro pads might help.

Regards

No reply as yet from Bailey, have just bought a large roll of anti slip mat, so will try if I get time over the weekend. ,to try it out.

I am happy with the pdi as I also spent a lot of time checking every thing worked which it did prior to a 60 mile journey which involved some bumpy fen roads, I always carry a small tool kit to fix the unexpected and from experience you will always have to use a screwdriver.

With reference the heating/ hot water I am going to contact Truma direct and take advise from them, it may be just a case of not knowing the best settings, basically I have plenty of heat from the heater on either gas or electric or on the mix setting, when putting on the hot water especially on the boost setting it cuts out the heating, if I understand the system it prioritises the hot water for around 45 minutes on this setting. The hot water got hot over night when the heating was on low, all I want is ample hot water and a warm caravan but both at the same time especially during winter caravaning as we only tend to use the cl network. The only thing I did not try was just to use the system on gas.

I will keep you posted and thank you all for your replies and in advance for future posting.

Ancona

That's a strange one regarding hot water, is this the same aldi heating as the unicorn 3 ? if so then heating can be used without any water in the system as the heating will only heat the air inside the hot water tank so if you have water in the van it should stay hot, as you say with the booster in operation it heats the water and stops the heat circulation, you don't say how the water system is fed ie on board tank, aqua roll, or mains aqua source ? i know ours on a aqua source is enough water heat for two of us to shower but i doubt that would extend to four people showering after each other.

regarding the rcd when i first got to my site, 1 hour after collecting the van this was pushed in and wouldn't release thus no power i needed a new unit fitted on site ( after i blatantly refused to return to dealer ) they sent out a contractor they use to look at it he replaced the whole unit, when i asked him how they did the PDI with no power he just shrugged his shoulders and said who knows ?

hope you get sorted.

Edited by butcherboy

Bailey moved over to Truma heating/boiler for the Pegasus 4's. It's a well tried system which we had ten years ago in our Adria motorhome.

Hi Ancona,

So sorry to hear about your experiance with the new pegasus. We too will be testing out our new verona the week after next. We too have noticed that the front seats creep forward when they are sat on and is quite annoying, I'll be keen to see what bailey come back with. We will also be contacting them about this issue too, maybe if enough new owners bring it to their attention they might act. Not that i should have to, Im going to also check all the nuts, bolts, screws and pipefittings before we venture off. As our van is parked next to our home and always plugged in i have checked the RCD many times and have had no issues as of yet. I also broke the fridge latch in two, design fault i think, so I'll be addressing that myself. With regard to the hot water/heating issue. The manual does clearly state when in boost mode the hot water takes priorty over heating. I have yet to play much with ours to work out the best solution but we were advised during our handover to not expect it to be the same as our home shower. We were advised to wet yourself, turn off shower, soap yourself and then rinse off.

As i have said we have yet to try ours out but after watching the truma online instruction video on youtube (approx 7 mins) i do have a fair understanding of what to expect. So i may be talking a bunch of rubbish right now, but i think with a bit of forward planning and creative use of the timer, along with a slick showering method and heating the van first with gas option (its quicker than electric) we can make this work for my family of 4.

I'll give an update on how we get on.

Best Regards

Mark

From what I've read if you put the hot water on boost it will cut the heating until the temp reaches 62. Once this happens the heating kicks back in until the water drops to a certain temp then kicks back in again cutting the heating until 62. It will do this a maximum of twice after the initial boost or within 45mins which ever is sooner. Tbh the high hot water is 60 so should be pleanty hot enough. I'll have a play when I get my new modena hopefully Saturday.

If you're looking to shower four people one after the other it puts most caravan boilers under pressure, obviously depending on how much water each uses. If you can stagger the showers a bit it gives the boiler some time to get the cold water up to temp. The temporary lack of spaceheating shouldn't really reduce the temperature that much in a well insulated van and you may find that by spacing the showers there's no need for the 'boost' function to be used.

Also, unless the van is plumbed in some poor gofer will have to go outside and refill the Aquaroll and empty the waste water.

The other stuff isn't good (& run of the mill PDI being inadequately done unfortunately), but I must admit I looked at the innovative seating on the Peg & thought it was a solution to a problem that wasn't really there in the first place. ...

On the water, it would be interesting to hear if Ancona is new to (winter) caravanning, or if this is their nth van. It's important to distinguish whether the issue is one with the system which might warrant scrutiny, or instead expectation of what can be achieved with a 10 litre tank caravan system. I do prefer our Alde to blown air, but the Peg has a Truma 6E with 6KW system output (so long as gas is used; you've only got 1. 8KW on electric); it's been shown to be one of the most effective units available.

• Like 1

The other stuff isn't good (& run of the mill PDI being inadequately done unfortunately), but I must admit I looked at the innovative seating on the Peg & thought it was a solution to a problem that wasn't really there in the first place. ...

I'd totally disagree with that and say it's probably the most innovative thing that's happened to caravan interiors in decades.

The 'normal' lounge bench cushions have to be made to fit half the width of the aisle. This obviously depends on the width of the van and the width of the seat benches. In lots of caravan, Bailey Pursuits being a perfect example, the seat back is tiny, leaving the whole of a person's back virtually unsupported and just some cushion at the waist and right at the very bottom of the back.

In others the seat back cushion is so high it extends above the bottom of the side windows and the curtains can't be draped tidily.

In addition the seat backs are rectangular in profile to fit the gangway space and this is means an uncomfortably unnatural, upright seatback.

The new sloping Peggy 4 seatbacks having a slant that provides a more natural seating posture and renders them more comfortable and supportive and because they're slim at the top curtains can drape tidily over the edge. The use of split seat cushions to fill the gangway is a simple, easy solution to the problems inherent in having two uses for seatbacks that can be incompatible and like most simple good ideas it makes you wonder why nobody has done it before.

I'd totally disagree with that and say it's probably the most innovative thing that's happened to caravan interiors in decades.

The 'normal' lounge bench cushions have to be made to fit half the width of the aisle. This obviously depends on the width of the van and the width of the seat benches. In lots of caravan, Bailey Pursuits being a perfect example, the seat back is tiny, leaving the whole of a person's back virtually unsupported and just some cushion at the waist and right at the very bottom of the back.

In others the seat back cushion is so high it extends above the bottom of the side windows and the curtains can't be draped tidily.

In addition the seat backs are rectangular in profile to fit the gangway space and this is means an uncomfortably unnatural, upright seatback.

The new sloping Peggy 4 seatbacks having a slant that provides a more natural seating posture and renders them more comfortable and supportive and because they're slim at the top curtains can drape tidily over the edge. The use of split seat cushions to fill the gangway is a simple, easy solution to the problems inherent in having two uses for seatbacks that can be incompatible and like most simple good ideas it makes you wonder why nobody has done it before.

In the majority of cases, the situation you describe is probably down to poor design rather than caravan geometry, though, Andy. I've had 4 caravans/motorhomes of various widths, and never had the issue.

Firstly, yes the width of the made-up bed dictates the seats, but it's possible to add/take away from either the seat base or back, so if the backs are too small, shortening the seat base to add an extra inch or two to the back is possible. If the back is too tall, there's nothing that dictates windows are at a particular height. As it happens, the Pegasus is 2 inches narrower than the Unicorn, and I can say that losing half an inch of both the base and back on each side would be indiscernable.

Secondly, good practise is not to have the seat backs directly onto the external wall, but instead to have a backboard. There's no reason for that backboard to be vertical. On the U3 (and my previous motorhome), the board, hence back, were slanted to give the slant you wanted.

If there is an issue, it's with knee rolls, but that's reasonably easily overcome by flicking the cushions over in bed mode.

To be honest, my concern with the split cushion arrangement with the Peg wasn't what's emerged now, but that if the cushions were half depth in "bed mode" (well, to be accurate, 2/3), at some point, probably 5 years down the line, they'd lose their springiness and hence comfort. I guess it's the usual problem with innovation - great, but you don't want to be the first guinea pigs trying it out.

Well have had a reply from Bailey and have been asked to show the dealer the issue and them to refer it to Bellfield, will try and get over at the weekend and show them what's happening on a demo model. Its a good job I need a new bottle of gas so will not have a totally wasted journey.

Will update in due course, if you also have this issue please report it to Bailey and your dealer so we get a fix - response quickly.

Ancona

In the majority of cases, the situation you describe is probably down to poor design rather than caravan geometry, though, Andy. I've had 4 caravans/motorhomes of various widths, and never had the issue.

Firstly, yes the width of the made-up bed dictates the seats, but it's possible to add/take away from either the seat base or back, so if the backs are too small, shortening the seat base to add an extra inch or two to the back is possible. If the back is too tall, there's nothing that dictates windows are at a particular height. As it happens, the Pegasus is 2 inches narrower than the Unicorn, and I can say that losing half an inch of both the base and back on each side would be indiscernable.

Secondly, good practise is not to have the seat backs directly onto the external wall, but instead to have a backboard. There's no reason for that backboard to be vertical. On the U3 (and my previous motorhome), the board, hence back, were slanted to give the slant you wanted.

If there is an issue, it's with knee rolls, but that's reasonably easily overcome by flicking the cushions over in bed mode.

To be honest, my concern with the split cushion arrangement with the Peg wasn't what's emerged now, but that if the cushions were half depth in "bed mode" (well, to be accurate, 2/3), at some point, probably 5 years down the line, they'd lose their springiness and hence comfort. I guess it's the usual problem with innovation - great, but you don't want to be the first guinea pigs trying it out.

I think you missed the point.

As it happens the Peg. 4 seatbacks do have a sloping backboard and the back cushion is also wedge shaped and adds to the slope making the whole thing more comfortable and allowing it to be taller so it lends support higher up the back and doesn't cause curtain issues. This means the back cushions play no part in making up the lounge bed.

There is a certain width of lounge bench that manufacturers won't go below as it renders the benches unusable as single beds, even for kids. In narrower vans, like the Pursuit range this means the back cushions are very narrow as the gangway is relatively meagre, most vans below 7ft 4ins wide suffer from similar issues. If you look at the Pursuit pics on the Bailey website you'll see the backrests are about 6ins below the bottom of the widows which are themselves the standard size for caravan lounges.

Take a look at the Uni 360 view and the back cushions are about an inch shy of the window bottom. Then look at the Peggy 4's and the cushions go up to the windows and slightly above.

As to the 50/50 split seat cushions I can only point you to the owners on here who report they provide the best sleep they've ever had in a caravan.

Welcome to Bailey caravans

I don't think the OP is a stranger to Bailey caravans, judging by hs handle!

I think you missed the point.

Take a look at the Uni 360 view and the back cushions are about an inch shy of the window bottom. Then look at the Peggy 4's and the cushions go up to the windows and slightly above.

But that's where I struggle Andy. One of my previous vans was a Lunar Cosmos 556 (dealer special of a Quasar). That's only 7ft 1inch wide (external), yet Lunar didn't struggle with shallow seat backs in the way that Bailey do with the Pursuit. See pictures at http://www. practicalcaravan. com/reviews/caravan/28094-lunar-quasar-556, the lounge shown is actually the rear that converts to 4 bunk beds (so wide enough for use as singles) or a large double using the seat backs, and the seat backs are up to the window.

I don't doubt the split cushions are comfortable new, but let's come back to this in 5 years.

Anyway, I'm conscious I'm dragging Ancona's real problems off-topic, so I'll pipe down.

So to help get back on track, I too have made my dealer aware of the moving front seats. It's a new problem to them but they are keen to resolve the issue. They wants some photos of before and after so they can present the problem to Bailey.

I actually think it's where the two layers of the new dream sleep cushions slip over each other.

I'll get the kids to do their homework in the van tonight, that'll test it. No child under 9 can sit still when they are tired.

Mark

I actually think it's where the two layers of the new dream sleep cushions slip over each other.

Perhaps a job for velcro?

Well have had a reply from Bailey and have been asked to show the dealer the issue and them to refer it to Bellfield, will try and get over at the weekend and show them what's happening on a demo model. Its a good job I need a new bottle of gas so will not have a totally wasted journey.

Will update in due course, if you also have this issue please report it to Bailey and your dealer so we get a fix - response quickly.

Ancona

So in the name of science i have just taken apart the front seating area of our new peg4 verona to figure out why the seats steadly slip forward. I pushed all the seats back as far as possible and sat down and got up about a dozen times. I sat in different positions as one would in relaxed mode on holiday. Fairly quickly it had shifted forward 4 to 5 inches. Observation made were that at no point when im sat down my feet do not touch the floor. At 5'9" im no midget, likewise im no giant either. But the distance from the floor to the seat cushion is greater than the distance from the bottom of my foot to my knee joint, therefore in getting up off the seat you naturally roll off before your feet touch the floor. That motion in itself encourages the upper part of the seat to slip over the lower part of the dreamsleep system. Further more movement of getting up only adds to more slippage forward. Now both parts of the seat are connected together, but with elastic.

I have taken a bunch of images to email off to my dealer of which he will forward to Bailey. I would share them but i dont know how to on here.

I'll keep you guys posted on any replies i get and heres hoping, a solution.

Mark

Nothing some no nails wouldn't cure, that would make it SOLID. :D