Glastonbury-Ridiculous!

Just back from a few days un-caravanning in Somerset. Lovely,but. ......Glastonbury High Street!
Full of shops offering ludicrous,New Age tat,alternative bookshops,tattooists,a mystic and various types of ridiculous therapies.
We visited a Cafe (inevitably vegetarian,vegan etc ) and was told by the philosophy-inclined,pony tailed,tattooed,nose ringed owner that he could tell we were a lucky couple (vibes!) and that we were likely to win the lottery that week. I explained,carefully,that it would be a miracle as we didn't "do" the lottery. He then entered into a long spiel about how we were our "own gods" and things happen if you believe them. My wife,having been headteacher of a C of E Primary School was distinctly unimpressed and I had to drag her away in case she became "theological."
A potentially lovely town but ruined,in my opinion,by silly,incredible (in the literal sense) attempts to market absolute nonsense.
Does anyone out there believe in this stuff?
There,I feel better now. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never been but I dont go in for mumbo jumbo of any kind However if thats what floats their boat then Im happy for them to carry on. .......at least they dont go around bombing other people.

I love Glastonbury true you can't really buy anything 'normal" although there is a chemist and a mini supermarket if you look hard a wonderful place for people watching and you can get really high j

Just back from a few days un-caravanning in Somerset. Lovely,but. ......Glastonbury High Street! Full of shops offering ludicrous,New Age tat,alternative bookshops,tattooists,a mystic and various typ

Sometimes life is not a simple as the "fatalists" would have it but all the astrological and similar stuff is just absolute nonsense.

Sometimes you are successful in a task because you have self belief but you still have to do it, nothing happens just because you want it.

They are there because of the mystique which surrounds the place (The Tor, ley lines etc.) whether it's a cynical marketing exercise to set up shop there or somebody actually believes in it is harder to define.

Coachman Amara 520/4 2003

LR Freelander 2 XS SD4 2. 2 Auto Indus Silver

Border Collie and ES Spaniel (with nothing between its ears)

Always with the negative waves Moriarity!

Live and Let Live

2017 Ford Kuga ST-Line X 180PS

2016 Sterling Eccles 590

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. . . .. . ..but the highest form of intelligence"

Did you notice what he was smoking by any chance ?

Soakster

Soakster pulling a 2 Berth Bailey Pageant with a Mercedes E350 Coupe Sport Tip Auto Blue Efficiency and "Loving It" :P

We visited a Cafe (inevitably vegetarian,vegan etc ) and was told by the philosophy-inclined,pony tailed,tattooed,nose ringed owner that he could tell we were a lucky couple

Good to see prejudice, narrow-mindedness and projecting stereotypes alive and well

2016 Sterling Eccles 590

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. . . .. . ..but the highest form of intelligence"

Paul Kantner one of the founders of Jefferson Airplane died today. .....sort of keeps on the thread. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We were there in 2014 and were less than impressed - it was just scruffy. We did the Abbey and then went somewhere else, bitterly disappointed with the place as it wa quite nice the last time we were there around 47 years ago (on the way back from our honeymoon in Fowey)

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

it's the vibes man, peace and all that. I have been up to the Tor, years ago and it is a lovely view and a pleasant walk. There may be something in it all, ley lines, Stonehenge, after all the Druids are an ancient religion, who knows for sure. All the shops and cafe's Are just cashing in on it all IMO

Just back from a few days un-caravanning in Somerset. Lovely,but. ......Glastonbury High Street!

Full of shops offering ludicrous,New Age tat,alternative bookshops,tattooists,a mystic and various types of ridiculous therapies.

We visited a Cafe (inevitably vegetarian,vegan etc ) and was told by the philosophy-inclined,pony tailed,tattooed,nose ringed owner that he could tell we were a lucky couple (vibes!) and that we were likely to win the lottery that week. I explained,carefully,that it would be a bl. .dy miracle as we didn't "do" the lottery. He then entered into a long spiel about how we were our "own gods" and things happen if you believe them. My wife,having been headteacher of a C of E Primary School was distinctly unimpressed and I had to drag her away in case she became "theological."

A potentially lovely town but ruined,in my opinion,by silly,incredible (in the literal sense) attempts to market absolute nonsense.

You'd better give Hebden Bridge a miss then Paul. :D

Known as one of the few places in Britain, which has a shop selling bent twigs. Joke.

The books by John Morrison are wonderful creations. http://www. hebdenbridge. co. uk/bridge/

Wounded man, willow woman and the Grievous bodily arms, (which I'm sure we drank in), did have me chuckling. You can read about them from the link.

Just hope the place, and others, have recovered after the recent floods.

Edited by Guest

I quite like the town being like that, less of those people in the places I go to.

I love Glastonbury :) true you can't really buy anything 'normal" although there is a chemist and a mini supermarket if you look hard ;) a wonderful place for people watching and you can get really high just by walking into the mystic shops! Hehe it's what Glastonbury is all about with the festival and all that :) pop into Street if you want proper shops, loads of them! When we're at the Old Oaks we love driving through just to see some of the characters, Glastonbury Abbey is a lovely place to visit too . There's only one Glastonbury ( thank goodness you're probably saying ;) ) unique in it's bohemian way and take it for what it is :)

Thanks for the video of the Acid Queen herself, the lovely Ms Slick, and RIP Paul Kantner. 2016 is already a bad year for acting and musical icons and January isn't even over yet!!

Paul Kantner one of the founders of Jefferson Airplane died today. .....sort of keeps on the thread. ...

geoff

Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Glastonbury is what it is - Glastonbury! We usually go in for a walk around on market day and to observe the weird fashion and shops - then we head off to "normal" places like Street and Wells on other days. You don't have to like it, but can't argue with the fact that it's "different".

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

Good to see prejudice, narrow-mindedness and projecting stereotypes alive and well

Chill Man with all those negative ways ! Peace Brother . ...

Soakster. ..

Edited by Soaky

Soakster pulling a 2 Berth Bailey Pageant with a Mercedes E350 Coupe Sport Tip Auto Blue Efficiency and "Loving It" :P

We visited a Cafe (inevitably vegetarian,vegan etc ) and was told by the philosophy-inclined,pony tailed,tattooed,nose ringed owner that he could tell we were a lucky couple (vibes!) and that we were likely to win the lottery that week. I explained,carefully,that it would be a bl. .dy miracle as we didn't "do" the lottery. He then entered into a long spiel about how we were our "own gods" and things happen if you believe them. My wife,having been headteacher of a C of E Primary School was distinctly unimpressed and I had to drag her away in case she became "theological."

It's true. Plus joss sticks. But that's what makes it interesting and different.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

quite nice the last time we were there around 47 years ago (on the way back from our honeymoon in Fowey)

But you were on cloud 73 anyway

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Now who is stereotyping. "Live and let live," as you say but I'm not really planning to kill anybody. :)

There was a "smiley" too,suggesting no one should take the post too seriously. ....although I do feel quite strongly about that sort of mystical jumbo jumbo that has no basis in history or reality.

Edited by paulthomas

I don't think this is stereotyping as it's largely correct! I was going to mention Hebden too but missed the boat. I will say that Hebden mixes new-age with down to earth rather well though.

My view on Glasto is that at least they all seem happy and It's nice that there's a haven for the nutters. A voluntary asylum, if you will.

although I do feel quite strongly about that sort of mystical jumbo jumbo that has no basis in history or reality.

Much like organised religion

But thats a whole other debate entirely!

2016 Sterling Eccles 590

You'd better give Hebden Bridge a miss then Paul. :D

Known as one of the few places in Britain, which has a shop selling bent twigs. Joke.

The books by John Morrison are wonderful creations. http://www. hebdenbridge. co. uk/bridge/

Wounded man, willow woman and the Grievous bodily arms, (which I'm sure we drank in), did have me chuckling. You can read about them from the link.

Just hope the place, and others, have recovered after the recent floods.

Yes,been to Hebden Bridge a few times. Much better than Glastonbury with a real sense of community. The emphasis there is more on Eco and self sufficiency rather than "dream catching,ethereal vibes" nonsense.

Where you there at the same time as Paul may be describing the person exactly how they look. If the person did actually have a pony tailed is Paul supposed to say that they are a skinhead without rings in the ears etc? :D

We used to go there sometimes when we lived in Bristol as a friend of ours moved there. She moved in with a bloke who called himself the bard of Glastonbury & I was never quite sure if he was being ironic or took himself too seriously as he couldn't actually read or write.

I quite like the place for a flying visit.

We have friends who are pagan & the one thing they always remind a lot of people about is the pagan festivals overtaken by the Christians -Christmas for example. To most historians & theologians the best they can work out is that Jesus was born in June. The one I've nver understood is why easter moves every year. Surely the day you died is the day you died :unsure:

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Woodie. ...

This site can normally give an accurate view on Christian beliefs. ..and holidays!

http://christianity. about. com/od/faqhelpdesk/qt/whyeasterchange. htm

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I love Glastonbury :) true you can't really buy anything 'normal" although there is a chemist and a mini supermarket if you look hard ;) a wonderful place for people watching and you can get really high just by walking into the mystic shops! Hehe it's what Glastonbury is all about with the festival and all that :) pop into Street if you want proper shops, loads of them! When we're at the Old Oaks we love driving through just to see some of the characters, Glastonbury Abbey is a lovely place to visit too . There's only one Glastonbury ( thank goodness you're probably saying ;) ) unique in it's bohemian way and take it for what it is :)

+1 . Great place to people watch and you can instantly tell who is holiday makers and a local.

You also get some interesting smells.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .