Sign in to follow this  
phil1041

The Freeloaders Are Back.

Just got back from visiting a freind who lives and works in Los Alcazeres We took a walk down to the seafront to be met with row after row of freeloading motorhomers parked up on any bit of waste ground they could find. The locals petitioned the council last year to do something about it despite a cheap aire being built for them they apparantly cant afford the 7 euros a night !! They even take water from the beach showers wouldnt like to think where they empty their toilets! To say the locals are not happy is an understatement. I think they are talking about switching off the taps on the beach showers not sure that will stop them though!.

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

I got a hail of abuse in another place for calling them freeloaders. They claim they are "wild camping"! I've never heard such nonsense. Many of them have paid the wrong side of £50,000 for their motorhomes yet they feel entitled to clutter up the foreshore and are too cheapskate to pay a few quid to stay in an approved location.

• Like 6

Last summer in two or three towns we visited there was large numbers of motorhomes all stopping in town centre car parks. Admittedly, these folks had paid overnight rate for their plot but they were jammed in like sardines. We did wonder how some of the even managed to open their door.

Now we only have a cheapo, nearly new TA caravan, nothing that cost 50 or 60 or 70 £K but I would hate to be in that situation, where is the enjoyment??

Just to save a few Euros?

I got a hail of abuse in another place for calling them freeloaders. They claim they are "wild camping"! I've never heard such nonsense. Many of them have paid the wrong side of £50,000 for their motorhomes yet they feel entitled to clutter up the foreshore and are too cheapskate to pay a few quid to stay in an approved location.

Yes i have heard that expression however there is nothing wild about the seafront access road i am talking about so Freeloaders it is!!

Phil.

They are in the town where I live and we have four camp sites, could not possibly count them all and they will be here until the spring, it is the same every winter.

I suppose living in a nice coastal town helps, it is not as if they spend any money in the shops. The council and police do not seem to mind.

Still it is better than the summer when the town is so packed with tourists it is impossible to even get into town.

It's down to the local authorities and police.

A few years ago staying near Motril I noticed that there were conspicuous signs forbidding campers to stay overnight on the beach road. Surprisingly the police turned up every morning to deal with the culprits.

That is the attraction of motorhoming, call it freeloading if you like but I would like to call it freedom. Never done it myself but if it is not a nuisance to other people, then why not! Then if it is a nuisance to others then it is not freeloading it is selfishness.

Helmet on and in my bunker.

• Like 3

Yesterday completely coincidentally a friend who uses a hotel in Murcia showed me a picture of the view from his balcony, there were about 20 motor homes parked adjacent to the hotel grounds I asked if it was a campsites but no it was a car park and the only facility they have is water from the beach shower. If I wanted to indulge in a squalid existence like that to save £10 a night on site fees after spending £50k plus on a vehicle I would be rather lonely as I would be doing it alone.

• Like 2

We were in Brittany a couple of years ago back, in a small village we parked to go into a cafe. ..alongside was a car park with no space at all, all motorhomes,all nationalities. ..difficulty in door opening for all. .. The cafe owner said they spent nothing in the village but once a week one of them took their motorhome to Leclerc in Quimper with the others guarding the space left! They got their water from a tap on a fountain. ..don't know where the waste went.

Talking to someone on my local CL last year he had just spent 6 weeks in France & Italy and only paid for one night on a site. .he even stayed on a traveller's site for a night. ........Oh yes a Motorhome owner.

geoff

p. s. some of our best friends are UK Motor Home owners but they don't abuse the system. .

We also have a friend who often stays on the front at Deal in his motorhome, suppose if you want a sea view and its free. ...not for us, we won't even stay on a site without decent showers. ..

I think the concept of wild camping is ok. The idea of staying overnight on a sea front car park or promenade is ok too. Staying on a promenade for weeks is just not on though. We have seen this going on in Spain in the winter, windbreakers fastened down on the Tarmac with Hilti drills, toilet cassettes being dumped in the surface drains after dark. Litter bins bulging with household waste. We have been told by local traders that they spend nothing in the shops except of coarse for their visits to the nearest Aldi or Lidl. Even worse is to be on a campsite when they come and stay for 2 or 3 days to charge everything up and do their laundry, wash down their camper vans etc.

Yep Aldi and Lidl the freeloders favourites wonder why?

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

The problem with Los Alcazares specifically is a lack of decent campsites in the area, the town is very desirable with lots of lovely resturants so I can see the appeal. There is a campsite at St Javier next to the airfield but it is a dump any mossy ridden, Lo Monte limited availability, La Manga to far away. Obviously their could be money to be made, so perhaps the answer is with the local authority before you start slagging the MHomers, if there were decent facilities? I disagree with the sentiment that they are that much of a nuisance because most of the properties on the Mar Menor are shut up for the winter, but I do think the question of human waste disposal is a health and safety is due that needs urgently addressing by the authorities?

The problem with Los Alcazares specifically is a lack of decent campsites in the area, the town is very desirable with lots of lovely resturants so I can see the appeal. There is a campsite at St Javier next to the airfield but it is a dump any mossy ridden, Lo Monte limited availability, La Manga to far away. Obviously their could be money to be made, so perhaps the answer is with the local authority before you start slagging the MHomers, if there were decent facilities? I disagree with the sentiment that they are that much of a nuisance because most of the properties on the Mar Menor are shut up for the winter, but I do think the question of human waste disposal is a health and safety is due that needs urgently addressing by the authorities?

Should read Health and Safety issue?

Phil.

There is no Aldi in that area, but I think Lidl are to the Dutch what Iceland are to the Brits.

I am not a motorhome knocker for a second, If I had one then no doubt I would make use of the French free facilities but just for travelling and convenience. However, I do think it is discriminatory towards caravaners.

I think if they tried to do they same thing in the UK there would be an outcry.

For example the central square in St. Mere Eglise is packed every night during the summer with travellers heading for Cherbourg the next morning. the French are very tolerant about it, it seems.

John

I am not a motorhome knocker for a second, If I had one then no doubt I would make use of the French free facilities but just for travelling and convenience. However, I do think it is discriminatory towards caravaners.

I think if they tried to do they same thing in the UK there would be an outcry.

For example the central square in St. Mere Eglise is packed every night during the summer with travellers heading for Cherbourg the next morning. the French are very tolerant about it, it seems.

John

The answer to that is simple Motorhomes need virtually no facilities whereas caravans need electric, water and almost double the amount of space, it's not discriminating just logistical?

The answer to that is simple Motorhomes need virtually no facilities whereas caravans need electric, water and almost double the amount of space, it's not discriminating just logistical?

disagree.

Some of the motorhomes are as big as an outfit. Particularly when they are towing.

Why do caravans need electric, some have tanks and its not hard to carry enough water to overnight.

John

• Like 2

disagree.

Some of the motorhomes are as big as an outfit. Particularly when they are towing.

Why do caravans need electric, some have tanks and its not hard to carry enough water to overnight.

John

I think the key word you used there was some, not most? Anyway the Caravan is far more popular in the uk, whereas the opposite is true on the continent.

I think the key word you used there was some, not most? Anyway the Caravan is far more popular in the uk, whereas the opposite is true on the continent.

PS Forgot to add, don't think you will see many Motorhomes on Aires when towing ad like caravans simply not practical.

PS Forgot to add, don't think you will see many Motorhomes on Aires when towing ad like caravans simply not practical.

????? Sorry, don't follow the last point.

The principle still stands regardless of size or numbers, but its just my opinion.

John

Edited by JCloughie
  • Like 1

Should read Health and Safety issue?

Incorrect read my post again there is a brand new aire opened a few months ago in the town specifically to tackle the freeloader problem but apparantly they cant afford 7 euros a night!!

Phil.

• Like 1

We used to have the same problem with m/hs staying on the seafront,blocking the

seaviews for everyone else.

After numerous complaints from locals the police decided to do something about it 2yrs ago.

they visited all of the m/hs parked up & warned them that it is against local laws & to leave within 2 hrs or face a 300 euro fine.

They then visited any who had,nt left & knocked them up at 03-00am giving them 30 minutes to leave or pay a 300 euro fine. If they professed not to have the money they were taken to a bank

atm point. Failing that they were warned that their vans would be taken to the police pound.

We don,t have any problems nowadays.

Should one turn up they are warned by one of the locals,& very quickly move off.

I,m told that they have a very good forum & word spreads rapidly. GOOD INNIT. :P:lol:

• Like 1

Brilliant exactly how it should be everywhere to defeat this increasing winter menace.

Phil.

Phil.

What is the connection between Aldi and Lidl and Freeloaders ?

Not a MHer at present but moving towards facing becoming one so do I read this right, does this mean that MHs towing vehicles are also banned from aires etc on a length issue?

Not a MHer at present but moving towards facing becoming one so do I read this right, does this mean that MHs towing vehicles are also banned from aires etc on a length issue?

No I wouldn't think so but the majority would not have the room.