Sign in to follow this  
a18041967

Ferry Crossing Savings - Any New Ideas?

Each year we have a two week holiday in France during the August school holidays and in the past DFDS have always offered special offers that made their crossings very attractive. The DFDS discounts seemed to have disappeared, no show offers so I've been looking at alternatives and as the title suggests looking for possible ways to reduce the cost.

We normally take the ferry to Dunkirk and then its a couple of days driving down towards Bordeaux which adds fuel & toll road costs, these cost could offset any increases in ferry crossings. This is current break down of what I've found so far:

Dover - Dunkirk (DFDS) £200, 2hr crossing, late on a Friday night.

EuroTunnel £305, 35mins crossing, first thing Saturday

Other options I like but are currently far too expensive are Portsmouth to Caen (Friday night crossing) along with other Portsmouth crossings. If we travel on a Friday it has to be a late crossing as I'm at work, if it's a Saturday it either needs to arrive reasonably early so we can start the drive, our reduce the driving distance and the reason why Caen is good option.

Prices above are all based on Caravan Club discounts.

Use Tesco coupons on the tunnel i cross twice a year free.

Phil.

If you could do Sunday to Sunday instead there are some Sunday return crossings, Portsmouth to Cherbourg, advertised by the Caravan Club/Alan Rogers - at £276 including seven Camping Cheques (which you can perhaps sell elsewhere to offset the cost). Some dates are covered, even in the school holidays - up to 23rd July outwards, and despite the LD Lines website stating that caravans over 5 metres can't be accepted, a spokesperson from the Caravan Club has stated that if you ring for details of the offer, caravans of any length can be accepted. You must telephone - the offer isn't available on the internet.

Here are the details I posted earlier on this forum and others:

We've just received a flyer from Alan Rogers, offering a return car and caravan crossing, from Portsmouth to Cherbourg and including seven Camping Cheques for just £276. If you calculate that the Camping Cheques are worth £105. 00 then the ferry crossing element is just £175 for a return crossing.

The 'terms and conditions' on the flyer are:

"Based on low season dates: Portsmouth Cherbourg from 21st May to 23rd July and 18 - 31 August, and Cherbourg-Portsmouth from 22nd May - 6th August, Car and Caravan and/or motorhomes. No oversize supplements. Route only operates on Sundays fromm 29th May - 28th August!".

It also states 'Other Ferry Routes available - contact us for details'. Telephone 01342 488360.

Edited by ValA

Do your own DFDS search. Mine is costing £80 each way for May/June.

Use Tesco coupons on the tunnel i cross twice a year free.

Phil.

And us, a great scheme, this year Eurotunnel have jacked the price up, so our first trip worked out at £317, we used £100 of Tesco vouchers that were trebled, so we actually paid £17.( Don't leave home without you Tesco vouchers :D )

. ..........perhaps I ought to shop at Tesco then. .....over past 10 years my largest voucher was for £12. ..and that is when I was running my car as a business one. ..the last one was for £3. 00. ......all food as their fuel not normally the cheapest around here.

geoff

You don't need to shop there. Get a tesco credit card and do all your spending on it. I even exchanged my car with it! ( paid off at next statement I hasten to add!)

Edited by not so big john
  • Like 1

Do your own DFDS search. Mine is costing £80 each way for May/June.

:rolleyes:

"Each year we have a two week holiday in France during the August school holidays"

. ..........perhaps I ought to shop at Tesco then. .....over past 10 years my largest voucher was for £12. ..and that is when I was running my car as a business one. ..the last one was for £3. 00. ......all food as their fuel not normally the cheapest around here.

geoff

I do wonder how people rack up those points. We have our mortgage with them and do shop there, but never seem to get that many. Mind you, but bothered about the tunnel, I'd rather go on a boat as I'm a ferry spotter!

You don't need to shop there. Get a tesco credit card and do all your spending on it. I even exchanged my car with it! ( paid off at next statement I hasten to add!)

Points have been halved to one for every multiple of £8 non-Tesco spend :(

I have just used a credit card this week for first time in 9 months and SWMBO has never had one. ...so wouldn't help.

geoff

As there is only 2 of us we don't do supermarket shopping,we buy our food daily from the high street. I earn tesco points from filling up at the garage.

Yes a great way of earning points with Tesco, either pay an extra 30% per week for your shopping of use inferior Supermarket fuel just to get a discount off an overpriced channel crossing?

Yes a great way of earning points with Tesco, either pay an extra 30% per week for your shopping of use inferior Supermarket fuel just to get a discount off an overpriced channel crossing?

Not a fan then bb?

Every little helps ;)

• Like 2

Not a fan then bb?

Every little helps ;)

Very astute how did you guess, what about the Le Shuttle frequent traveller scheme for a rip off

Very astute how did you guess, what about the Le Shuttle frequent traveller scheme for a rip off

Not sure, as I've never used the tunnel.

Inferior fuel your evidence for this allegation please??

Phil.

• Like 2

All the schemes seem like great value until you look very closely at them, I am not a huge fan of paying for services in advance so if you look at the frequent traveller scheme on the Le Shuttle they get £450 of your money up front with no rebate if you don't use your allocation, then there are extras to pay on top of that if you want to travel at peak times and also for caravans and motorhomes!

If you look at the Tesco club card scheme, you could make up the saving in just a few weeks by shopping at Aldi and guess what it's exactly the same food, I wouldn't use supermarket fuel think back to when fuel caused caused problems it was the inferior supermarket supplies that caused the problems due to their pricing policy and fuel suppliers procedures. The system of booking with Tesco club card rewards is made very clumbersome deliberately, remember there is "no such thing as a free lunch"? It's always advantage to the operator.

So where is your evidence re inferior fuel i repeat?

It takes one phone call to book a crossing using the vouchers cumbersome? How so?

Phil.

• Like 2

Well I use Tesco fuel in my work vehicle, also use Tesco credit card to purchase everything but pay full amount every month, do not shop at Tesco though. The points do add up and for me they are free, Use it to get the tunnel twice/three times a year to Calais but get the ferry back.

Well I use Tesco fuel in my work vehicle, also use Tesco credit card to purchase everything but pay full amount every month, do not shop at Tesco though. The points do add up and for me they are free, Use it to get the tunnel twice/three times a year to Calais but get the ferry back.

Hi mark. Can I ask why you get the ferry back? Is it a canny value thing or do you just like the boat?

In the abscence of any explanation i have been using Tesco fuel in my mercedes for 8 years when on the continent i of course use their fuel non supermarket i can safely say i have not noticed any difference whatsoever in terms of performance or mpg.

As previously posted use a Tesco credit card to pay for everything and the points mount up very quickly furthermore it is simplicity itselfe to book the crossings.

Phil.

Likewise, shop pretty much everywhere other than Tesco using our card, pay it off every month and save the points up. Double up usually buys the kids Christmas and birthday presents.

Who is good at maths?

Can someone please work out for me how much I would have to spend in a Tesco store to get the £100 of vouchers I would need for a ferry crossing, and how much I would have to spend in other places just using a Tesco credit card to get that same £100 of vouchers.

Grateful for help.

Edited by moorgate

Looks like we may have changed direction from OP question again. .....how odd!

geoff

• Like 3