Sign in to follow this  
ajbyorkshireman

Beware Elddis 10 Yr Damp Warranty Is Worthless

We have reported a crack on the rear panel of our Affinity 550 which we have had from new, and is now 16 months old.

Elddis have refused the claim as some of the materials they use are of such doubtful quality they can only apply a warranty of 12 months.

So they proudly boast a 10 year moisture warranty for their "solid construction" however they fail to add that the front/rear panels are not part of this construction.

PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS "GET OUT OF JAIL" card that crafty Elddis will be poised to play.

• Like 1

We have reported a crack on the rear panel of our Affinity 550 which we have had from new, and is now 16 months old.

Elddis have refused the claim as some of the materials they use are of such doubtful quality they can only apply a warranty of 12 months.

So they proudly boast a 10 year moisture warranty for their "solid construction" however they fail to add that the front/rear panels are not part of this construction.

PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS "GET OUT OF JAIL" card that crafty Elddis will be poised to play.

Then go back to your dealer and reject the caravan under SoGA as being unfit for purpose. Your contract of sale is with the dealer, not Elddis, so it is the dealer to whom you must complain.

• Like 2

Then go back to your dealer and reject the caravan under SoGA as being unfit for purpose. Your contract of sale is with the dealer, not Elddis, so it is the dealer to whom you must complain.

+1

+2

And talk to Trading Standards too.

We need to get these sharp practices in the caravan industry raised at a higher level.

• Like 2

Thank you for your comments however it would be difficult now after 16 months to reject the van under the SoG Act and yes, our contract is with the dealer so we are progressing matters with them.

Perhaps under the new consumer act where contracts made after October 2015, there will be more legal defined actions to follow.

You are covered under the old sale of goods act. Nothing to do with any warranty provided by any company. It's the Law and a law that many many dealers choose to ignore, usually blaming the manufacturer.

You need to familiarize yourself with the act and then proceed. As with all law it will appear shades of grey that leave the layperson wallowing about in a fog of uncertainty and that is what the dealers rely on. This is a well know and documented fault with ABS panels. Plenty on here. A dealer cannot quote warranty conditions as an excuse to get out of their responsibility under the act. Neither can you sign away those rights.

Sounds like you need a big stick. A call to the manufacturer has been known to have them reverse the decision, in some cases the dealer had not even submitted a claim just lied. Such is life.

The item must be fit for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time. In the past I found printing out the relevant sections of the act and delivering them to the principle of the dealership, with a promise to start Court proceedings in 14 days had an amazing effect. The faults were repaired and the muppet who did not know the law was demoted.

• Like 4

Thank you for your comments however it would be difficult now after 16 months to reject the van under the SoG Act and yes as our contract is with the dealer we are progressing matters with them.

Perhaps under the new consumer act where contracts made after October 2015, there will be more legal defined actions to follow.

If the warranty lasts 10 years and the fault is within the small print then the contract should be honoured.

Trading Standrads and Citizens Advice are your best options of you are not confident in dealing with reluctant traders.

Thank you for your comments however it would be difficult now after 16 months to reject the van under the SoG Act and yes as our contract is with the dealer we are progressing matters with them.

How did you pay for the caravan? If you pay a deposit of over £100 using a credit card get onto the credit card company and submit a claim under section 75. If the caravan was bought on HP and you are still paying, even better get onto the finance company and tell them the reason why you want to reject the caravan.

If neither of the above you are still covered under the Sale of Goods Act which specifically states the following;

Sale of Goods Act Key Facts:

1 Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i. e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

2 Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description. Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

3 It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

4 If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

5 For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

6 A purchaser who is a consumer, i. e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

7 If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

8 In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e. g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i. e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

9 If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e. g. were not inherently faulty)

10 After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

If the warranty lasts 10 years and the fault is within the small print then the contract should be honoured.

Trading Standrads and Citizens Advice are your best options of you are not confident in dealing with reluctant traders.

The 10 year warranty is against water ingress and not cracked panels and the OP has not made it clear if water ingress has occurred. Maybe sneaky working by Explorer Group. Either way taking into account price paid, the panel should last longer than 16 months so as stated earlier, the OP needs to pressurise dealer to do the repair and not take any excuses.

• Like 1

What exactly were the grounds for rejection of the warranty claim?

Mine had a new rear panel a couple of months ago and it approaching three years old. There was no hesitation from Elddis in approving the repair under warranty.

• Like 1

I have just read the warranty and year two and three states panels are not covered. I just tried to post a copy on here but forum will not allow it.

This was the warranty for 2014 vans.

Edited by birdman101

To date as far as I can see there is no water ingress. Inside the van at the rear there is a wardrobe fitted into each back corner (rear island bed from rear panel).

I am going to visit an Elddis dealer to pick up one of their brochures with details of the 10 year warrenty.

We paid cash (no borrowing) for the van.

Wozerp I understand that the panels were covered for 3 years in the past. Is your van the 'solid' build process?

Just google 2014 elddis warranty

To date as far as I can see there is no water ingress. Inside the van at the rear there is a wardrobe fitted into each back corner (rear island bed from rear panel).

I am going to visit an Elddis dealer to pick up one of their brochures with details of the 10 year warrenty.

We paid cash (no borrowing) for the van.

Wozerp I understand that the panels were covered for 3 years in the past. Is your van the 'solid' build process?

Yes it is,

Attached is handbook for 2016 Buccaneer. Look at 12. 2 section. It states;

After year one Plastic and GRP panels, windows and glass, deterioration of external paintwork are not covered under the manufacturer's warranty. This includes A frame cover, wheel spats and surprisingly shower trays?

2016-Buccaneer-Handbook. pdf

This is very disappointing given this is a known problem with these panels.

Ours was replaced within first year. Several other members on this forum have reported having the rear panel replaced, some more than once.

I would add that when the panel is replaced some remedial work needs to be carried out to remove the source of the stress that causes the cracking, before the new panel is fitted.

Edited by MillieDog

Attached is handbook for 2016 Buccaneer. Look at 12. 2 section. It states;

After year one Plastic and GRP panels, windows and glass, deterioration of external paintwork are not covered under the manufacturer's warranty. This includes A frame cover, wheel spats and surprisingly shower trays?

Regardless of the warranty, as your earlier post explains well under SOGA the product is supposed to be of satisfactory quality for a reasonable time. I doubt there'd be any issue establishing that a reasonable design life for a caravan without leaking is >16 months, QED legal action against the selling dealer would succeed. The hole in the warranty then becomes something to be argued about between the dealer & Elddis. If a few court cases went through, that'd certainly focus their attention. ...

• Like 1

Has Elddis told you that they've refused or the dealer, If its the dealer ask if they can contact Elddis again and explain to them, that if Elddis don't support a claim you're contacting trading standards or whoever deals with the SOGA.

Its possible the dealer hasn't contacted Elddis (we've had it before) and suggesting that you're contacting trading standards often brings results.

I wondered if anyone has nay recommendations as to a temp fix ie tape etc over the crack so we can continue to use the van?

We are looking at the various options and have the dealer looking to quote for a new panel under insurance.

I had read before about a piece of timber being shaved before new panel fitted.

I wondered if the Sidde=le family were related to Pontious Pilate? That would explain the ease in which they wash their hands so quickly!

I wondered if anyone has nay recommendations as to a temp fix ie tape etc over the crack so we can continue to use the van?

We are looking at the various options and have the dealer looking to quote for a new panel under insurance.

I wondered if the Sidde=le family were related to Pontious Pilate? That would explain the ease in which they wash their hands so quickly!

When we damaged the front of our caravan many years ago, we used "transparent" duct tape which blended in with the background of the caravan so it did not look too bad.

Why would the panel be covered under insurance?

We used this after first finding cracks at top of rear panel.

http://www. diy. com/departments/duck-ultimate-clear-tape-l20m-w50mm/109498_BQ. prd?gclid=CjwKEAiAws20BRCs-P-ssLbSlg4SJABbVcDpWHnIaxtsspenhaL8XqXp7mKMG5GsH6N6IGZ-tFJ8RxoCBwbw_wcB&ppc_type=shopping&ecamp=SEAPLA109498_BQ&ef_id=VkZKUAAABUddbU1K:20160111084123:s

When the panel was finally (we had an in situ repair first, which subsequently failed because it didn't fix the cause of the stress) replaced there was no evidence water had penetrated.

I too used that tape until my panel was replaced, about 8 weeks duration. Likewise, no sign of water ingress but it was a vary small crack on the side of the rear panel.

I don't like the sound of what I've read on this thread, I've just put a deposit down on a 2016 Elddis Rambler

Thank you for your comments however it would be difficult now after 16 months to reject the van under the SoG Act and yes, our contract is with the dealer so we are progressing matters with them.

Lots of information about SoG here.

http://www. honestjohn. co. uk/faq/consumer-rights/

Hope that's of interest.