Sign in to follow this  
gooney1971

Wife Got Me A Drone For Christmas 🎄 😊

Been wanting one of these for ages, can't wait to take some aerial shots when staying on some campsites. Just wished I'd had this last year when we stayed at golden cap campsite in Dorset, just waiting on four new batteries from eBay only get about 8 minutes flight time and less if I use the video. Takes good photos, not brilliant only a 2mp camera.

Wanted one for ages, ever since I saw a friend with one.

SWMBO says I can't have one! :(

Where's the photo?

Dave

To use it over a campsite you will first of all need site managers permission and also have insurance cover. I was on a site in October and a chap had one and was refused to allow it being used after seen flying it by site manager.

• Like 3

Lovely area all round that campsite. Stayed there 2 years ago.

Been wanting one of these for ages, can't wait to take some aerial shots when staying on some campsites. Just wished I'd had this last year when we stayed at golden cap campsite in Dorset, just waiting on four new batteries from eBay only get about 8 minutes flight time and less if I use the video. Takes good photos, not brilliant only a 2mp camera.

https://www. caa. co. uk/drones/

• Like 1

My wife droned on about me crashing my helicopters on a regular basis. ...so I didn't get one.

• Like 1

Hi,

Its possable to buy a cheap drone with a 5 m. p. camera BUT be aware that they are short range & unreliable unless reworked and even then can be suspect. Below some pictures taken by a 5 m. p. camera. Regarding flying them ---- its a mine field out there !

P. S. - The mountains in the far distance --- Snowden. The pictures are "screen grabs" from a video.

post-40443-0-12295500-1451730616_thumb.png

post-40443-0-40895400-1451730712_thumb.png

Edited by david 1220
  • Like 1

. .......can't wait to take some aerial shots when staying on some campsites. .....

A bit like this gooney?

Read the relevant sections of CAP658 first, not a bad idea to join the BMFA also.

As said, you wil need permission from the land owner. I certainly would not want a drone flying over my caravan at any time as on many occasions we have the sky lights open but the windows clsoed while changing clothes etc adn that would be an invasion of privacy to be spied on by a drone.

A bit like

gooney?

Read the relevant sections of CAP658 first, not a bad idea to join the BMFA also.

brilliant footage 😊

I dread the day when I see the first drone on site, it will probably be a kid using it and it will probably crash into some ones 'van. Those poor people who put wind breaks around their pitch as they like a bit of privacy will be up in arms if they see a drone hovering above them. Will the user obey the law / will the user know the law? Like all remote control toys they should be used well away from people, buildings and caravans.

I have to agree, in the video he broke every rule in the book in that flight, flying over people and property what a numpty if he had insurance (which I doubt) they wouldn't have paid out if he has injured someone or damaged property because he had breeched the CAA ruling. The only saving grace in that video is, it looked like his drone has the safe guards around the propeller blades.

I have to agree, in the video he broke every rule in the book in that flight, flying over people and property what a numpty if he had insurance (which I doubt) they wouldn't have paid out if he has injured someone or damaged property because he had breeched the CAA ruling. The only saving grace in that video is, it looked like his drone has the safe guards around the propeller blades.

If the drone crashe sinto a caravan and damages it, the drone owner will probably walk away as if nothing had happened and not reclaim the drone. What does the caravan owner do then?

Surely these come under the same heading as kites on site, which as far as I am aware is strictly not allowed, because of the damage/injury factor. I remember many years ago seeing a photo of a kite embedded vertically in a caravan roof, the same thing possible with a drone. ...in a vehicle or somebody`s head !!

Of course, there will always be someone, and as DeltaTlowner states who pays? even if you know who is responsible. ..or

IRRESPONSIBLE !!

I would hope that site owners will have the sense to forbid this activity on their sites for obvious reasons. ...

Equally I would hope that 'drone owners/ flyers ' will have the sense to fly them responsibly wherever they are allowed to fly. ..

I won't hold my breath on either of those things happening. ...

Like others I wouldn't want one flying over any site I was on and while I am sure the OP is a responsible person I bet most of the users are just self self and no care for others being annoyed by their drones.

Does the Telegraph editing team really think that the plural of aircraft is aircrafts? :o:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I come from the generation who were 'allowed' to play with catapults (and we were allowed a knife on the belt of our scout uniform!).

Drones and catapults - I feel a new field sport coming on?

Edited by MillieDog
  • Like 2

If the drone crashe sinto a caravan and damages it, the drone owner will probably walk away as if nothing had happened and not reclaim the drone. What does the caravan owner do then?

Good question!! The drone in the video is not a cheap toy you can tell by the quality of the camera, but the owner should not have flown it in the first place. If you read the CAA ruling you will find one he needed the land owners permission, what sensible land owner would do that knowing it is his livelihood he could lose plus he didn’t stay within the boundaries of the caravan park he flew over several areas including a carpark and a road, did the owner of the fishing lake give permission and so on. It is people like this that give us serious model flyers a bad name.

The general public tar us all with the same brush, and you can’t blame them because they all look like toys to them, but nothing could be further then the truth. We fly responsibly in dedicated areas, we abide by CAP 658 air navigation order from the CAA we have insurance cover of up to 25 million for damages or injury if the worst come to the worst, our so call toys cost thousands not fifty quid, and yet these numptys are allowed to just do what they want which in turn will destroy our hobby at this rate.

Edited by Digger_07
  • Like 6

Wanted one for ages, ever since I saw a friend with one.

SWMBO says I can't have one! :(

Where's the photo?

Dave

my sympathies Dave I am in the same boat SWMBO MBO

Les

• Like 1

my sympathies Dave I am in the same boat SWMBO MBO

Les

I've been forbidden as well.

My Bro has a small one which he only flies indoors but his wife doesn't know he's got it so he can only play when she goes shopping.

• Like 1

I come from the generation who were 'allowed' to play with catapults (and we were allowed a knife on the belt of our scout uniform!).

Drones and catapults - I feel a new field sport coming on?

I can't wait for one to fly over any of the clay shoots that I go too.

I don't fancy it's chances of returning to the numpty that sent it.