Sign in to follow this  
louis

A-Frame

Been looking at these caravans for a while now
A question I have the 2014 as a shorter a frame than the the 2013 was there a reason for this was due to a issue
Also can a 2013 a frame be shortened to the 2014 length a frame is just simply unbolt in a frame and moving it back approx 300mm so same as 2014 model. Just a question hope someone can answer

If it's an Alko chassis it is all one unit from front to back, I would imagine other makes are the same.

Is the caravan the same design and layout as the previous model, and is the overall length the same?

Sorry I can't answer your question but you would need to ascertain the chassis width of both models to see if they are the same at a given point near the front. Have never seen an "A" frame that was boltable---usually part of whole chassis.

The 2014 model eterniti ib4 is about 300mm shorter on the A frame than the 2013 model

The caravan it self is same length

Both BPW and Alko chassis are complete units. They cannot be altered

The 2013 can be shortened, I know a few people who have done it and had I kept mine I would have shortened it.

There is more to it than just unbolting and moving it back as the gas locker area is bolted to it and the brake rod will have to be shortened.

There is a strong user group on Facebook with lots of info and an ex employee has set up a mobile repair service and he is excellent.

Ian

I would think the drawbars might need changing to shorter ones as they are available in different lengths.

Dave

Would it be possible for you to ask on the Facebook page as I have read you have to have a eterniti caravan to join
All I want to know is the reason for shortening the drawbar from 2013 to 2014 model and what sort of money does it cost to do it if needed
You can pm me if you don't want to put on to general view
Thanks

hi i was told at eterniti that the long a frame put the van in different price bracket on the ferries. this can be shortened and you need to shorten the brake rod as well +the a frame fairing . the long draw bar was to make the unit more stable at speed hope this helps

Think I would keep the a frame original for the stability and pay a few quid extra on the ferry - although if you travel on the tunnel they don't charge extra

Seesaw

Think I would keep the a frame original for the stability and pay a few quid extra on the ferry - although if you travel on the tunnel they don't charge extra

Seesaw

It's not just ferries, some sites have an 8. 5m limit.

Even when shortened it is still a long a frame and none of the owners I know have reported any stability problems.

Ian

How can the A-frame be shortened? Has any Eterniti owners done it? If so could they explain how it was done? Do you have to buy a new A-frame or can it be modified?
Thanks

Louis

Did you get my pm?

The A-frame is unbolted and moved back then rebolted using existing holes, that's the easy part.

As I said earlier the harder bit is refitting the mounts for the gas locker floor, modifying the brake rod, rerouting the gas pipe and trimming the fairing to suit.

Ian

I have at home a brand new bpw chassis from eterniti if you are passing at any time i will gladly show you how this is done

could you pm me some pictures if possible

hi sorry i am not that clever. but i have a friend who is will ask him to sort it asap :)

Were you able to get any pictures of A frame a chassis

hi yes i did but still waiting for a clever friend of mine :)

I have sent you a private message

Hi Louis.

Why do you want to shorten the A frame?

I have a 2014 Eterniti with the shorter A frame but those with the 2013 models have no problems with them and they say towing causes no issues, in fact some say it increases stability. I know of one owner who has also put a bike rack on the A frame which is not possible with the 2014 shorter model.

Edited by Rob N Judith

I was just asking why eterniti shortened A frame on the 2014 model was it a technical reason

Visiting the factory just before they went bust. I think they told me that the shorter a frame was more acceptable to the market and made it cheaper on ferries. A longer A frame reduces nose weight and improves stability.