Sign in to follow this  
RobJS

Sad News Reported From The Caravan Magazine Today

Direct quote

Caravan magazine is very sad to report the death of our long-time contributor, John Wickersham. JW was the ultimate caravanning guru, writing numerous manuals and guides (11 in total), and contributing to all of the UK's best caravanning publications. In a 'former life' John was a university sports lecturer, which might explain why he was always so impressively (and annoyingly!) fit, looking like a fifty-something when in fact he was 73!

John used caravans and motorhomes to embrace his love of the great outdoors, particularly through canoeing and climbing, and wrote with great accuracy and immense credibility about the technical side of our wonderful hobby.

He leaves a wife Carole, four children and 10 grand-children. RIP.

My sympathies to his family- a sad loss.

post-38246-0-95692100-1449674644_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

Sad loss and he was very knowledgeable in the leisure world.

I used to like the way he explained complicated topics with simple explanations .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 1

Direct quote

Caravan magazine is very sad to report the death of our long-time contributor, John Wickersham. JW was the ultimate caravanning guru, writing numerous manuals and guides (11 in total), and contributing to all of the UK's best caravanning publications. In a 'former life' John was a university sports lecturer, which might explain why he was always so impressively (and annoyingly!) fit, looking like a fifty-something when in fact he was 73!

John used caravans and motorhomes to embrace his love of the great outdoors, particularly through canoeing and climbing, and wrote with great accuracy and immense credibility about the technical side of our wonderful hobby.

He leaves a wife Carole, four children and 10 grand-children. RIP.

My sympathies to his family- a sad loss.

Very sorry to hear about John, very knowledgeable and friendly chap. Very well respected amongst the industry and through his publications. I know the mod team all looked up to him and his thoughtful advice.

• Like 2

Very sad news, our thoughts are with his family and friends.

I used to like the way he explained complicated topics with simple explanations .

Dave

I very much valued this too, I liked his solar explanation! Good decent chap by the sounds of it, sad loss.

• Like 1

This is very sad news, John was a good communicator and very nice guy.

Ian

I have to say I always enjoyed his passion and enthusiasm on the TV programmes I've seen with him in.

Having known John, the caravan and motorhome world will be sadly lessened without his enthusiasm and great knowledge of the leisure pursuit we all love.

Gone but not forgotten. ... God Bless John

Tragic news. I met him at the NEC caravan show some years back. Rest in peace, JOHN.

Dave

My sympathy to his family, a true gentleman and a great credit to his profesion R. I. P

Sad news, he'll be missed by a so many

Sad news RIP John.

I read his books before buying a caravan. Explained things so well and will be missed.

• Like 1

Very sad news. He always seemed a decent man and a passionate contributor to our pastime.

• Like 1

Sympathy to his family. His enthusiasm will be sorely missed.

• Like 1

Sad news indeed.

Seems like all the old guard of the caravan jornalism world are going . ... Eric Fowler, Doug King now JW. A true loss.

• Like 1

Although I never met him I would have loved to have done so, but kind of felt like I had done so through his books, magazines articles and videos posted on line etc.

Love and sympathies for John's family.

RIP John

From Andrew and Carol.

• Like 1

😢 my other half loved him on the caravan channel! She always said he just came across as such a genuinely nice fella, he was so enthusiastic about caravans and motorhomes.

A sad loss indeed.

RIP.

• Like 2

Liked to watch him on the Caravan Channel.

I have searched Google but can find no other mention elsewhere of his death.

Ian

• Like 1

I am saddened to hear that news and our condolences go to the family.

We had the pleasure by coincidence to share adjacent pitches with him and his wife for a week in France only a few years back. He was researching local energetic leisure activities and at the same time “trialling” a loan motorhome.

He was just as he comes across on video clips and in his writing, very pleasurable company. Our respective wives were driven to distraction when we got talking “shop” which we both so readily and endlessly fell into doing.

Rest in peace John it was a pleasure to have met you.

• Like 2

Thoughts to his family at their sad loss especially at this time of year. Always came across as a very knowledgeable and helpful sort of chap. But above all a real gent.

• Like 2

Very sad news. His section was the most interesting on the caravan channel

Condolences to all his family. He will be sorely missed.

A very sad loss indeed. Condolences to all of his family. Indeed he was one of a kind and will be sadly and sincerely missed.

R I P John.

Sorry to hear the bad news me and the wife bought caravan did not know anything about caravans we just winged it till we met John on the Caravan Channel learnt so much of him that's why me and the wife are still in love with our van Thank you John for your knowledge it was priceless

Having known John, the caravan and motorhome world will be sadly lessened without his enthusiasm and great knowledge of the leisure pursuit we all love.

Gone but not forgotten. ... God Bless John

Agreed, but at least his legacy of information and videos live on.

Alan

Sign in to follow this