t5van

Walking Boots`

This is a 3 year old Thread, but Hi-tech Magnum’s were very popular when I was in the military 

Now this thread has been resurrected, I can report that the Trespass boots that I bought 3 years ago were okay for the £39 but after suffering from plantar fasciitis earlier in the year I’ve bought a pair of Brashers ( now branded as Berghaus) and so far so good. .....

Plantar Fasciitis now that’s something else I’ve had it for about 6 months maybe this needs its own thread but it’s the most debilitating thing I’ve ever know, how do you control the pain?

• Like 1

They say that I have polyneuropathy, which has affected the nerves in the soles of my feet. All I know is that even on a perfectly flat floor it feels like I'm walking on pebbles, plus constant pins and needles.

With well padded insoles I get by, but that and one of the beardies getting fairly old now has cut down my mileage.

I too swapped to Scarpa boots and their Vortex shoes have been great too, though the sole wore quickly and they now look v expensive.

I've recently bought some Meindl Cambridge shoes which are v comfortable and have a rather unique sole pattern. They seem well put together but the soles are already showing wear. Vibram again.

The main reason for our caravan is because we go on walking holidays, 4 times a year.

The or should I say THE only place for boots is here 

https://www. altberg. co. uk/

If you can go for a fitting.

I have a pair of German ex paratrooper boots which I use down the allotment and for general heavy duty kicking about.  

Comfortable totally  waterproof and very very durable.

10 hours ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

Plantar Fasciitis now that’s something else I’ve had it for about 6 months maybe this needs its own thread but it’s the most debilitating thing I’ve ever know, how do you control the pain?

In my case it lasted exactly 6 months, then cleared up within a few days.   However I still have the occasional twinge. ...

I bought cushion heal inserts for all my footwear, which helped a bit, but it was still a horrible pain.

1 hour ago, Simple Life said:

The main reason for our caravan is because we go on walking holidays, 4 times a year.

The or should I say THE only place for boots is here 

https://www. altberg. co. uk/

If you can go for a fitting.

Just looked at the website very interesting look like nice boots.  

I seem to have the kiss of death for walking boots over the last few years.

First, cheapish leather Karrimor boots leaked then fell apart after just over a year.

Replaced them with a “quality” pair of Berghaus leather boots. Within fifteen months, the heels and soles were worn down, the stitching had come apart, and they leaked.

So, just over a year ago, the Berghaus were consigned to gardening duties and replaced with Salomon goretex. Great boots, dry and comfy. But. ..

After a year and only about 1500 miles of dog walking, the heels are worn down. The cobbler I use says that he cannot get Salomon’s own “Supagrip” soles so I have to have Vibram instead. Except those in my size are like rocking horse droppings so the boots have been with him for two weeks so far, and might be sorted by the end of next week. Which has meant that the leaky and worn-out Berghaus boots are back in use.  :angry:

11 hours ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

Just looked at the website very interesting look like nice boots.  

If you can go there then do.

They will measure your feet,bring you a pair from stock dependant on levels and your choice.

They are the manufacturer of choice for the SAS, amongst others, need I say more.

My mate is an ex 15 years para, served in Afghanistan twice, once in Iraq, only boots he would wear.

On the subject of Vibram I have had several pairs of Merrel summer weight walking shoes over the last few years, very comfortable but the soles wear out so quick after 6 months of use they treads are almost flush with the heel and sole bed, I was always lead to believe that Vibram was the mugs nuts.