t5van

Walking Boots`

For thise who are into walking what Brand do you suggest. Most brands dont seem to be waht they used to be. My current Meindls are 2 years old and have just been sent back to Meindle for a assesment. The report being there totally worn out.

At the most worn once a fortnight, cleaned every time and always re-protected.

I`m a bit miffed that £160 boots would wear out that quick. So before spending out again wondering what others suggest.

For thise who are into walking what Brand do you suggest. Most brands dont seem to be waht they used to be. My current Meindls are 2 years old and have just been sent back to Meindle for a assesment. The report being there totally worn out.

At the most worn once a fortnight, cleaned every time and always re-protected.

I`m a bit miffed that £160 boots would wear out that quick. So before spending out again wondering what others suggest.

I've searched for boot wear ratings, without any luck - I find that budget boots, under £50, seem to wear their treads out while the uppers are still in as new condition

I seldom get more than 2-3 years out of a pair of walking boots, the most disappointing were the most expensive (Berghaus). Just got a new pair from Trespass for £39 after an 80% 'Black Friday' reduction (no I didn't queue!), only time will tell if they are any more hardy than the last few!

I have found work boots not lasting the same. A make I have used all the time now wear out quicker and their sizing is different, Ie I now need a larger size in their brand. May be they are all the same now.

My Berghaus have lasted well, they are the gortex type, but I love my Brasher Gortex boots

and so far have given great service.

Not sure of the rrp as I bought them both in the sales.

I think quite a few of the Branded boots that used to be 10 out of 10 have been swallowed

up by big sports firms and ow are sadly lacking in quality and build.

Spelling Error -- gortex came out as vortex. Auto spell checker, tis a nuisance.

Edited by Yorkie Pud

Its really annoying as there so comfortable, i`m thinking of a pair of Brasher GTX Hillmaster, but aparentley there part of Berghaus or vicea versa and on a forum i came across neither are getting good reviews like they used to.

I bought a pair of Lowa boots with the Vibrant soles about ten years ago.

So typical of German technology they are as good today as when I first bought them.

The only thing is they don't bed in very well and I still Elastoplast my heels before doing a long hill walk over ten miles.

Good boots though, even if a bit overpriced.

I have had 3 pairs of Brasher. The first lasted 10 years. The second and third lasted 18 months between them, before falling apart. Luckily Go outdoors gave me my money back. I spent ages looking at boots and reading all the reviews before settling on Alt-Berg boots, in particular Malhams. They are outstanding and totally waterproof . They are only available where I live in Exeter via Taunton leisure . I wouldn't look at any other boots now. I have worn them in all weathers and over long days with no trouble. My wifes boots are due to be replaced and you can guess what we will buy. My other boots (meindls) were much more expensive and the shop replaced them also; I use them in the garden now!

Talking to people who work in boot shops almost all boots are now made in China which explains a lot.

i agree that boots don't seem to last like they used to. For the last 30 years I've bought Zamberlan but the last pair wore out the soles in around a year. The uppers were in like new condition so I sent them to a place in Chesterfield to be resoled with a tougher sole. Supposedly used to repair army footwear. They have since lasted another 5 years and are very comfortable. Not sure now what I'll buy this time. Never needed blister packs or similar with the Zamberlans.

We've slowed down a lot now in walking - our 25 mile plus walks have become around half that at maximum, typically less!

I can't get on with Goretex boots on a full days walk, my feet just overheat so I prefer good leather uppers and adjust socks for temperature control.

TS

I like merrell boots . . . Comfortable and they last ,( I usually search fleabay for the best price)

Whatever you decide upon, they have to be comfortable above all else and everyones feet are different. Vibram is a rubber formula which was developed years ago and it has stood the test of time as far as wear is concerned. It's use is licensed to different manufacturers but it is always made to the same formula. I'm currently using a pair of Berghaus ( not Vibram ) which are working well for me. I the past I've worn Scarpa which were good and various others. My wife has some Brasher boots which she likes very much ( again not Vibram! ). I like the look of Merrel but have never tried them. There is no definite answer to your question!

John. :)

• Like 1

Love our Brashers, so comfortable, doesn't feel like you are wearing big strong boots at all. Both pairs 10 years+ old

• Like 1

Ive had 2 different walking boots n trainers with Vibram soles, the rubber is so soft i can almost pull it of with my finger, hence there not lasting. .

Forgot my older boots KSB with gortex they have lasted over 20 years and I still use them.

I like merrell boots . . . Comfortable and they last ,( I usually search fleabay for the best price)

My Merrell goretex boots finally gave up the ghost last year. Stitching was coming apart, they started to leak, and the heels starting to wear-through.

Can't complain as I bought them in 1991 and must have covered a few thousand miles in them hiking and dog walking.

Bought some Karrimor leather boots as replacements, remembering that the Karrimor products I used to use were always top quality. What I didn't realise is that the name is now owned by Sports Direct and their products are cheap and nasty. True enough, those boots lasted only a few months before they started to leak.

Now have a pair of Berghaus leather boots and so far, they've been brilliant.

• Like 1

I bought a pair of Brasher all leather boots around 14 years ago. I would really like a new pair of lighterweight ones but these just don't wear out. I have noticed that the top is just beginning to crack.

The best ever boots I had were Hawkins Summit bought in 1975 and finally replace about ten years ago for the Lowa boots.

During my teen years I wore Hawkins Helvelin boots before saving up for the Summits.

The Summits were so well made I never had a blister or sore foot, but eventually the soles parted company with the uppers resulting in a forced retirement.

Incidentally, my Lowa boots with the Vibram (not vibrant as auto correct insists) soles have the over moulded uppers which are almost indestructible in most environments so I'm hoping they will see me out.

My Merrell goretex boots finally gave up the ghost last year. Stitching was coming apart, they started to leak, and the heels starting to wear-through.

Can't complain as I bought them in 1991 and must have covered a few thousand miles in them hiking and dog walking.

Bought some Karrimor leather boots as replacements, remembering that the Karrimor products I used to use were always top quality. What I didn't realise is that the name is now owned by Sports Direct and their products are cheap and nasty. True enough, those boots lasted only a few months before they started to leak.

Now have a pair of Berghaus leather boots and so far, they've been brilliant.

Was there a reason you didn't buy Merrell again?

Was there a reason you didn't buy Merrell again?

Didn't find any of the current range suitable for style or price. And the build quality didn't look anywhere as good as they used to be.

As the Berghaus boots fitted perfectly, were exactly the style I wanted, and were on offer at Blacks, it was an easy choice.

• Like 1

My walking boots are 4 season Leather boots by Raichle. I have had them for 10 years now and they are so comfortable. You get what you pay for.

I also have a pair of 2 year old waterproof walking shoes by Salomon which are used for walking trails and paths, but I don't expect them to last as long as the boots.

As I stated on my post #15 . .....I wear my boots virtually every day when walking the dogs along rough muddy paths and wet grass ( I do wear wellies for the morning walk when the mud gets really bad at this time of year )

To date, no matter how well I look after the leather and no matter what quality brand boots I wear the most I get out of them is around 2 years. .....
I must be doing something seriously wrong, as I read that some on here have had their boots for 10 years or more!
Are they still in the box? :)
I do agree that you would expect expensive walking boots to last for a considerable time if looked after properly, but I guess it all depends on the type and the amount of usage they get?
My current Lowa Mountain GTX boots are now entering year 2 and at the moment look like they will exceed the 2 year mark. ...only time will tell. ....

• Like 1

As I said previously, the most I get out of a pair is 3 years. They invariably start letting in around the welt. I suspect it's because the Gortex or similar membrane gets stressed at that point then fails. However, for a change, my last pair got a big thorn in the sole and then a flint got in with it, resulting in wet feet! You can't legislate for that.

I think how they're treated does affect the longevity. When I used to walk a lot on peaty/boggy ground I found the leather cracked early. I found if I washed them to get rid of the acid and dried them naturally they lasted longer. Trouble was that if I was doing a full day each day then they never dried till later when my feet warmth dried them!

As far as Goretex goes I've already mentioned I couldn't get on with them, and friends find the membrane fails from flexing after a relatively short time reducing the waterproofing. In fact I think they're worse since the remaining membrane helps retain the moisture.

I suppose it depends on how you define longevity. I tend to wear them until they just pack up and can't effectively be resoled any more. I don't consider minor waterproofing issues as end of life. On flinty ground I just keep resoling them and find they last several years.

TS

I think how they're treated does affect the longevity. When I used to walk a lot on peaty/boggy ground I found the leather cracked early. I found if I washed them to get rid of the acid and dried them naturally they lasted longer. Trouble was that if I was doing a full day each day then they never dried till later when my feet warmth dried them!

I suppose it depends on how you define longevity. I tend to wear them until they just pack up and can't effectively be resoled any more. I don't consider minor waterproofing issues as end of life. On flinty ground I just keep resoling them and find they last several years.

TS

My boots fail due to leather cracking and subsequently leaking rather than the soles failing TS. ..

As you say, with daily use in wet conditions they rarely get a chance to dry out naturally and so waxing is limited to the dry months ( ha! )

I do proof them with the manufacture's approved water based proofer but it's no substitute for regular waxing which has to be applied to dry leather in my opinion.