Sign in to follow this  
Amyb10

Caravan Club Cooling Off Period?

Hi

I got a refund on my membership fees after various pitching issues. I do not think there is a timescale but from memory, I had to put my request in writing with reasons.

Russ

• Like 1

Did you tell the CC why you wanted to cancel Amy? They need to know how their members are being treated, there's never any excuse for rudeness and bad manners, if he's so worried about his grass then maybe he should close his CL over the winter . Plenty of other lovely sites out there you can go to and hopefully you'll meet lots of friendly people :)

Yeh we explained why and they were fine to cancel the money coming out for us :-) I know there will be plenty of lovely CL sites I think we will just stick to going off recommended now and park about a mile away just in case ;-)

• Like 1

Amyb10

As a CL owner I was very sorry to read of your experience, We have a Cl near Mildenhall Suffolk, all grass on a sandy free draining soil, and would like to invite you to visit us. Our grass was an established meadow before a CL we keep it short but it does become worn down as the season progresses. As a caravaner we love CL's, all different, and generally offer good value for money

Hi David, sounds lovely :-) please don't think I'm tying all CL owners with the same brush I'm very sure there's plenty of you lovely owners about, I just felt very disappointed and angry especially with 2 children that were very excited to be staying on a farm and had to witness that. Hope you can understand that Edited by Amyb10
  • Like 1

Leaving aside the legal niceties it is often the case that organisations will act in a customer's favour, without argument or demur if they are upset. There again there are others who dig their heels in and argue white is black. I'm happy that the CC have shown themselves to be in the former camp.

Having said that it does seem a bit much to make the CC suffer and virtually blame them for the ill temper of a third party site owner who just happens to get their certification from the CC.

Whilst CLs are a valuable and generally excellent benefit of membership of the CC there are a lot more benefits that far outweigh the anger of just one person.

As the CC espouse their CL network as being exclusive to them and part of the CC experience I would suggest that they are responsible for them, both licensing and conduct, they are inspected and the CC may withdraw certification.

The last paragraph is open to interpretation as to the members location and their ability to use those benefits at a reasonable cost compared to other offered benefits elsewhere without membership of any club.

• Like 1

The CC certify CL's as do the C&CC with CS's through a unique arrangement under UK planning law. They can withdraw certification for conduct if the owner flouts the '5 van rule', but I don't believe they have any authority or remit to exercise an audit of owner's anger management thresholds.

As to benefits, a discount for members only on all CC sites right across the country, a discount on the M6 Toll, an exclusive Continental touring insurance which is very highly praised, access to the said CL network are all things that cannot be obtained without CC membership. Other services are possibly available at comparable prices, though our own experience of CC car, caravan, breakdown and recovery, pet and home insurance have shown that they are competitive and the service has always been exemplary.

Amyb10: you stayin? or goin?

It was interesting reading Amy's post as a couple of weeks ago we were at a well known (non CC site, although they do give a discount to members). I was rather shocked to see notices around the site telling me that they would make a charge of £25 if anyone damaged the grass!!! Should mention the grass pitches were not in use, only the hardstanding. This clearly did not apply to their own staff as they were mowing the grass and leaving a deep rut in one place.

On a more serious note I think the CC have limited options as far as getting individual CL owners to tow the line. Their only real sanction is to throw them out of the scheme.

David

It was interesting reading Amy's post as a couple of weeks ago we were at a well known (non CC site, although they do give a discount to members). I was rather shocked to see notices around the site telling me that they would make a charge of £25 if anyone damaged the grass!!! Should mention the grass pitches were not in use, only the hardstanding. This clearly did not apply to their own staff as they were mowing the grass and leaving a deep rut in one place.

On a more serious note I think the CC have limited options as far as getting individual CL owners to tow the line. Their only real sanction is to throw them out of the scheme.

David

To be honest I'd have preferred to have seen signs everywhere then I would understand a bit a of a grumpy man but there wasn't and we were swore and shouted at. This was grass that already had a car and caravan parked on but my one wheel caused an absolute meltdown! Madness.

Amyb10: you stayin? or goin?

Cancelled this morning, I know a lot of people have said I shouldn't have let it put me off and I was too hasty but when I've paid money to be part of the club to be able to go to these type of sites and had that experience then I'd prefer to go to big club sites. We had two young children (aged 5 and 10) that couldn't wait to stay on a working farm and had to witness a man shout and swear because of a wheel being on grass, I'll happily pay more to go somewhere we know what to expect :)

You sure you didn't drive over his foot?

You sure you didn't drive over his foot?

Haha! You would think I stole his winning lotto ticket!!

Glad you can laugh about it now Amy.

We are not all GOGs in the caravanning fratenity, just some of us.

Do hope this has not put you off caravanning as we are newbies and have not been disappointed with the CC or the sites they promote.

Glad you can laugh about it now Amy.

We are not all GOGs in the caravanning fratenity, just some of us.

Do hope this has not put you off caravanning as we are newbies and have not been disappointed with the CC or the sites they promote.

If it was my first time caravanning I would had it on eBay that day but we ended up finding a lovely site in Durham had a fab two nights away :-) I've also learnt my lesson, grass is a lot more important than I thought!

Our kids are similar age and we have stayed on many a club site with no issues.

The standards are by and large the same wherever, I've only stayed on one CL is was ok but then it was only a tenner a night, but I've got a couple booked for next year.

I tried to find commercial sites that are cheaper or similar to the club as I wanted stuff for the kids to do, but never have and if honest I've heard more complaints about commercial sites than club sites.

I wouldn't be so quick to write the club off personally, my two love their sites but you pays yer money you makes your choice.

If I'd have had the experience you have on a club site then I'd be off in a shot, but if that happened on a CL I'd report the facts to the club and leave a suitable review.

Happy camping for the future!!

More than happy to give their phone number. Some right cranks on here.

I am afraid you will find forum world has plenty. There is a sizable number here for whom the "Caravan Club and all its works" can do no wrong and anything other than fawning admiration for its sites or wardens will produce this response. I am with the poster earlier who observed the continental view of the CL concept i. e most wouldn't touch a site without facilities and at such prices. However the Caravan Club does have its uses as a "one stop shop" for ferry bookings and insurance and thats why I continue my membership and I have to concur with the comments about most CL owners when I used them I never came across one like yours and I think you have been most unlucky.

• Like 1