Sign in to follow this  
Amyb10

Caravan Club Cooling Off Period?

It would be interesting to have the CL owner's version of events.

Why?

If there is a part of his precious grass he doesn't want his customers to drive on he needs to fence it off IMHO.

• Like 2

CL's are private businesses they have nothng to do with the CC, apart from being listed in the CC handbook and website. If a customer finds that the CL owner behaves in an antisocial way then the correct course of action is to report that CL to the CC who can remove it from their listings. I have been using CLs for many years and have never come across any antisocial CL owners.

It would be interesting to have the CL owner's version of events.

More than happy to give their phone number. Some right cranks on here.

• Like 4

why cancel on one bad experience, there are many other good CLs and Club sites to try throughout the UK

Absolutely. I think you're having a bit of a knee-jerk reaction, perhaps understandably.

Try at least one more CL or CC site before you bail out.

Update, they are not taking our direct debit out.

If the land was so precious, don't put another car and caravan on, fence it off, put up a sign, or let us know when we call about said precious land.

If anyone would like phone number of CL site for their version of events (who has this much time on their hands?!) feel free to ask.

Thankyou for any helpful posts on here.

Any unhelpful or judgemental posts please go live with the idiot on the site, you belong together.

• Like 3

Did you tell the CC why you wanted to cancel Amy? They need to know how their members are being treated, there's never any excuse for rudeness and bad manners, if he's so worried about his grass then maybe he should close his CL over the winter . Plenty of other lovely sites out there you can go to and hopefully you'll meet lots of friendly people :)

• Like 2

Need to check whether the Consumer Rights Act covers this as it covers goods, this is a service.

If it did cover it, on what grounds will the customer reject it, the membership of the CC Club has not failed the OP, also it is a third party that has supplied the service.

Under the Distance Selling Part of the Regulations. In this case the CC has offered a very poor service as the OP paid the CC for the membership. I cancelled our C & CC membership earleir this year after about 10 days due to misrepresentation and was refunded my membership fee.

Still seems hasty to cancel though, as well explained by loads of other posters above.

Under the Distance Selling Part of the Regulations. In this case the CC has offered a very poor service as the OP paid the CC for the membership. I cancelled our C & CC membership earleir this year after about 10 days due to misrepresentation and was refunded my membership fee.

The CC have not provided a very poor service, the perceived poor service was provided by a third party, all the CC do is list the CL in their directory.

Its like holding Yellow Pages responsible for poor service provided by BT because BT have a listing in the Yellow Pages directory.

• Like 2

The CC have not provided a very poor service, the perceived poor service was provided by a third party, all the CC do is list the CL in their directory.

Its like holding Yellow Pages responsible for poor service provided by BT because BT have a listing in the Yellow Pages directory.

You do not pay the Yellow Pages to view suppliers, you pay the CC to be able to access the CL network however it matters not whether there is an issue with a CL or not. The Distance Selling Act part in the new Consumer Rights Act allows you to change your mind for no reason whatsoever within the first 30 days and can be applied to anything except motor vehicles.

• Like 1

You do not pay the Yellow Pages to view suppliers, you pay the CC to be able to access the CL network however it matters not whether there is an issue with a CL or not. The Distance Selling Act part in the new Consumer Rights Act allows you to change your mind for no reason whatsoever within the first 30 days and can be applied to anything except motor vehicles.

Oh for the correct information

From 13 June 2014 the Consumer Contracts Regulations - which implement the Consumer Rights Directive in UK law - apply to all purchases you make at a distance.

The Distance Selling Regulations have been subsumed into this new piece of legislation.

Cancelling a service contract

If you're buying a service, such as gym membership or a cleaning service, you can usually cancel up to seven working days from the day after you enter into the contract.

But there are some contracts you can’t cancel simply because you change your mind, including:

• contracts for transport and some leisure services to be provided on a specific date eg hotel bookings, flights, car hire, concert and other event tickets
  • contracts for services where you agreed to the service starting before the seven working days has expired - as long as the seller has provided all the information detailed above

The Consumer Rights Act applies to Goods and services such as repairs or maintenance, not to membership subscriptions.

For a full explanation have a look at the Which website

• Like 1

I forgot about the new laws of consumer rights, thanks for the reminder.

Amyb10

As a CL owner I was very sorry to read of your experience, We have a Cl near Mildenhall Suffolk, all grass on a sandy free draining soil, and would like to invite you to visit us. Our grass was an established meadow before a CL we keep it short but it does become worn down as the season progresses. As a caravaner we love CL's, all different, and generally offer good value for money

• Like 3

Oh for the correct information

The Consumer Rights Act applies to Goods and services such as repairs or maintenance, not to membership subscriptions.

For a full explanation have a look at the Which website

I think you need to look at defining "membership" and the OP is within their rights to reject the membership. Is the membership a service or an entity? I think the legislation you are quoting has been updated by the Consumer Rights Act anyway. I guess we will never knwo until there is some case law.

BTW the link takes you the Consumer Rights Act and there is no mention of cancelling membership if the membership is done at a distance. Either way Which magazine is not exactly a good reference as they are not lawyers and that is their interpretation albeit better than mine.

The OP is fully within their rights to cancel this type of membership as it was done at a distance and the servcie was unsatisfactory. Either way and I doubt very much if the CC will make an issue of it. I guess we will just need to agree to disagree on this point. Anyway the OP by their own choice has cancelled the DD so they are out of the loop anyway so pointless debating who is right or wrong. :D

Amy its not a nice first experience and one I've not experienced, but don't give up on CL sites. I've experienced CL sites which have gone far past the extra mile to give us a perfect holiday experience.

Why not have another try next year

• Like 2

I think you need to look at defining "membership" and the OP is within their rights to reject the membership. Is the membership a service or an entity? I think the legislation you are quoting has been updated by the Consumer Rights Act anyway. I guess we will never knwo until there is some case law.

BTW the link takes you the Consumer Rights Act and there is no mention of cancelling membership if the membership is done at a distance. Either way Which magazine is not exactly a good reference as they are not lawyers and that is their interpretation albeit better than mine.

The OP is fully within their rights to cancel this type of membership as it was done at a distance and the servcie was unsatisfactory. Either way and I doubt very much if the CC will make an issue of it. I guess we will just need to agree to disagree on this point. Anyway the OP by their own choice has cancelled the DD so they are out of the loop anyway so pointless debating who is right or wrong. :D

I disagree to disagree with you, you are quoting 2 completely seperate pieces of legislation in the mistaken belief that you know best.

The link to the "Which" information is actually almost verbatim to the information we at Lloyds Banking Group via Black Horse Finance are passing on to our dealer network, is information that comes straight from the FCA CONC manual and is supported and endorsed by the FLA.

You state "The OP is fully within their rights to cancel this type of membership as it was done at a distance and the servcie was unsatisfactory", please explain how is the service provided by the CC is unsatisfactory?

The OP has paid a sum of money to the CC for membership of an organisation that provides a variety of services, something which they have fulfilled. This would be covered by the Consumer Contracts Regulations

The OP has paid the CL owner a sum of money for the pitch and services he has provided, so the OP's contract is with the CL owner and as such falls within the scope of the Comsumer Rights Act, had the issue been with a CC owned Club site then the recourse would clearly be via the CC.

Also the OP is outside of the 7 day cancellation period for Consumer Contracts Regulations, so the CC are entitled to seek full payment if they so wish.

Please don't confuse the situation by quoting 2 seperate pieces of legislation that serve 2 completely seperate purposes.

• Like 2

As far as I can ascertain the customer in this instance has 14 days to cancel and should receive a refund within the following 14 days. (Some distance selling companies may give longer).

I disagree to disagree with you, you are quoting 2 completely seperate pieces of legislation in the mistaken belief that you know best.

The link to the "Which" information is actually almost verbatim to the information we at Lloyds Banking Group via Black Horse Finance are passing on to our dealer network, is information that comes straight from the FCA CONC manual and is supported and endorsed by the FLA.

You state "The OP is fully within their rights to cancel this type of membership as it was done at a distance and the servcie was unsatisfactory", please explain how is the service provided by the CC is unsatisfactory?

The OP has paid a sum of money to the CC for membership of an organisation that provides a variety of services, something which they have fulfilled. This would be covered by the Consumer Contracts Regulations

The OP has paid the CL owner a sum of money for the pitch and services he has provided, so the OP's contract is with the CL owner and as such falls within the scope of the Comsumer Rights Act, had the issue been with a CC owned Club site then the recourse would clearly be via the CC.

Also the OP is outside of the 7 day cancellation period for Consumer Contracts Regulations, so the CC are entitled to seek full payment if they so wish.

Please don't confuse the situation by quoting 2 seperate pieces of legislation that serve 2 completely seperate purposes.

I will stick with my viewpoint which I believe is correct however you are entitled to believe yours. However I suggest you may be giving any clients the incorrect information as the Distance Selling Regulations have been replaced with the Consumer Contracts Regulations.

In addition, the issue with the CL does not even come into consideration if you wish to cancel as that was not the only reason for joining the CC as the CL aspect is a minor consideration. Not sure why you think that there is a contract between the CL owner and OP when the contract is with the CC?

The payment to the CL was over and above the membership fee and nothing to do with the CC however if it makes you happy to believe you are correct them I am happy for you.

Edited by DeltaTIowner

If the land was so precious, don't put another car and caravan on, fence it off, put up a sign, or let us know when we call about said precious land.

If anyone would like phone number of CL site for their version of events (who has this much time on their hands?!) feel free to ask.

Thankyou for any helpful posts on here.

Any unhelpful or judgemental posts please go live with the idiot on the site, you belong together.

You don't need to name and shame, Amy, just the CC Handbook site number would do. :-/

Not sure why you think that there is a contract between the CL owner and OP when the contract is with the CC?

The payment to the CL was over and above the membership fee and nothing to do with the CC however if it makes you happy to believe you are correct them I am happy for you.

Is there not two contracts here?

One is the membership with the CC and the other is the provision of the site with the CL?

I will stick with my viewpoint which I believe is correct however you are entitled to believe yours. However I suggest you may be giving any clients the incorrect information as the Distance Selling Regulations have been replaced with the Consumer Contracts Regulations.

In addition, the issue with the CL does not even come into consideration if you wish to cancel as that was not the only reason for joining the CC as the CL aspect is a minor consideration. Not sure why you think that there is a contract between the CL owner and OP when the contract is with the CC?

Now who is getting confused:-

You state:-

Post#32 you quote "Under the Distance Selling Part of the Regulations."

Post#35 "Distance Selling Act part in the new Consumer Rights Act allows you to change your mind for no reason whatsoever within the first 30 days and can be applied to anything except motor vehicles."

It was me that told you in Post#36 that :- From 13 June 2014 the Consumer Contracts Regulations - which implement the Consumer Rights Directive in UK law - apply to all purchases you make at a distance.

The Distance Selling Regulations have been subsumed into this new piece of legislation.

I guess for me (and for many of the members of this forum) the decision is do I base my posts on the information given by the Financial Conduct Authority to Lloyds Banking Group which has passed through the legal department of the bank and been condensed into information that is passed to thousands of motor, bike and caravan dealers for them to base their decisions on, or do we take your word.

You clearly know a little bit of information on 2 pieces of legislation, which you have some how managed to combine and confuse into a jumble of mis-information.

As I have also pointed out the OP has cancelled their CC membership, even though their contract with which they were not happy with was with the CL owner (a third party), and is quoted as the reason they wanted to cancel the CC membership.

Clearly time for you to put down the shovel and stop digging ;)

Edited by Grandpa Steve
  • Like 1

Phew! This is warming up!

Phew! This is warming up!

* Opens bag of popcorn * :)

• Like 3

Dont they always?

Edited by Motobiman
  • Like 1

Leaving aside the legal niceties it is often the case that organisations will act in a customer's favour, without argument or demur if they are upset. There again there are others who dig their heels in and argue white is black. I'm happy that the CC have shown themselves to be in the former camp.

Having said that it does seem a bit much to make the CC suffer and virtually blame them for the ill temper of a third party site owner who just happens to get their certification from the CC.

Whilst CLs are a valuable and generally excellent benefit of membership of the CC there are a lot more benefits that far outweigh the anger of just one person.

I bet the OP is really happy she asked the question.

• Like 3