Sign in to follow this  
Amyb10

Caravan Club Cooling Off Period?

Does anyone know if there is one to cancel caravan club membership? We have had it for 9 days and got it to use the CL sites but had an awful experience yesterday and don't want to use them. Had the owner shouting and swearing at us because I had accidentally drove over some grass trying to turn around. Never been spoken to like it in my life and felt tiny! We took out the direct debit for the membership and not sure if you automatically get a 2 week cooling off period and can't find anything on the site. Thanks for any info!

Not sure, best thing to do is to contact the CC. Explain about the attitude of the owner, but please be assured they are not all like that.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this.

Our experience has been the opposite.

Talk to the CC I am sure they will listen.

• Like 1

Occasionally you bump into people on CLs who are a bit snappy or even abrupt. It's really unusual though, and our experience over several decades has been excellent. If you drove over the guys pride and joy and damaged it, I can imagine he was pretty upset. He shouldn't have been rude though. If I were you I'd put the experience of rudeness behind me and be more careful in future. When arriving on a CL or other sites where everything is very informal, I usually get out of the car and have a walk round before driving on. I once drove onto a CL which was white after a dusting of snow and buried the car in deep mud where I thought I was supposed to drive, only to be informed that I was actually in a flower bed that had been cleaned out for the winter. We live and learn.

Don't cancel your membership. You will have years of enjoyable visits to CLs and meet some really nice owners.

Edited by Ern
  • Like 2

Some good advice. ....just remember that the CL is 'his' property and operates under the legislation given. ..but he is not the Caravan Club per se. ...I have driven off a site where things were not to my liking but never ever had a dispute with an owner.

geoff

why cancel on one bad experience, there are many other good CLs and Club sites to try throughout the UK

At the moment it's pretty obvious that if you drive on grass you will gouge great tyre marks in it if you are not careful. In this case we would always stop before driving on the grass and ask the CL owner what to do about it. Or even phone before arriving and ask. Then it's their decision and if you follow their instructions it's hardly your fault. ..... The same when hitching up and leaving. For example they may decide to tow you onto (or off) the wet grass themselves with their tractor and ask you to leave your car on the drive. ..... etc.

If I was the owner of a CL and someone ploughed up my beautifully kept grass by accident I wouldn't be too happy either. But if it was very wet then I would have contacted the person arriving before hand or asked them to wait before pitching or hitching up. .....

In the past I have called a CL up before we set off as it was very wet and they asked us if we minded not coming as they did not have enough hard standings - which was fine. They were extremely grateful.

Grass in the winter can get very soggy and slippery, just a bit of thought is needed ! CL's are a precious commodity and CL owners should be 'nurtured?' (can't think of the right word. ...) ;)

Edited by Shirl250
  • Like 1

I agree as there are many fantastic CLs around the UK. I would suggest accessing the CL and then doing a review of your experience as maybe others have had a similar experience. Sometimes due to the way the pitch it is angled makes it nearly impossible not to drive on the grass albeit only a metre or two.

At the moment it's pretty obvious that if you drive on grass you will gouge great tyre marks in it if you are not careful. In this case we would always stop before driving on the grass and ask the CL owner what to do about it. Or even phone before arriving and ask. Then it's their decision and if you follow their instructions it hardly your fault. ..... The same when hitching up and leaving. For example they may decide to tow you onto (or off) the wet grass themselves with their tractor and ask you to leave your car on the drive. ..... etc.

If I was the owner of a CL and someone ploughed up my beautifully kept grass by accident I wouldn't be too happy either. But if it was very wet then I would have contacted the person arriving before hand or asked them to wait before pitching up. .....

In the past I have called a CL up before we set off as it was very wet and they asked us if we minded not coming as they did not have enough hard standings - which was fine. They were extremely grateful.

Grass in the winter can get very soggy and slippery, just a bit of thought is needed . ...... !

Shirl the OP has only recently joined the CC and it appears this is the very first CL they have used so probably will not be aware of any such equiette. Secondly I don't think we have ever been on a CL where ther owner has been waiting for us or hanging around just to see if you drive on the grass. As said sometimes it is unavoidable.

• Like 1

Never had a problem of this nature, I can only speak highly of all the Cl's we have stayed on in over 40 years, sorry to hear of your particular problem.

I would call the CC and tell them of what happened and if you still want to cancel your membership, ring your Bank and cancel the Direct Debit

• Like 1

Shirl the OP has only recently joined the CC and it appears this is the very first CL they have used so probably will not be aware of any such equiette.

Exactly. Which is why I wrote it . .... ;) But I think being unaware of any etiquette is still no excuse for accidently driving on someone's wet soggy grass and ruining it. That's just common sense.

We have had torrential rain for days so my sympathies are with the CL owner.

Except that they might have been more polite.

• Like 1

It would have been helpful if the CL owner had put a sign out for arrivals to wait before driving onto the pitches. Not all grass pitches are soft and muddy and if you are new at the game you can look at it and assume that as the site is open it is fit to drive on. I have been on a CL which was similar and I had already rung the owner who told me to just drive on and park up. I did and ended up well in the mud. It was so bad I had to use the motor mover to get off as the car was just starting to bog down. So it doesn't always follow that ringing the owner makes any difference. All the other CL's I have used have been fine . I was also directed to a pitch on a CC site once, and again it was so muddy I was nearly axle deep so I left straight away . It may be common sense but it also needs some input from the CL owner if he believes the site is not suitable . As others have said out of the thousands of CL sites you happened upon 1 of the few with a not so friendly reception and it is not worth giving up because of this 1 person.

Edited by pagan8c
  • Like 3

memberenquiries@caravanclub. co. uk or call the CC. I'm surprised that anyone would want to cancel after one CL. You paid by DD, so you can cancel it, inform the CC of what you are doing and pay the £46 plus £10 for not going ahead with the DD. I wouldn't think that you would be entitled to a cooling off period as you have made use of the CC albeit not a very nice experience for you. If you intend to carry on caravanning, the CC is IMO as good as any and I have never had any warden or owner shout at me over all the years I've been touring, so I would put your experience down as a one off and start again.

• Like 1

If you go through life giving up on anything after one bad experience, you will soon run out of things to do and try.

As said, most CL owners are helpful and friendly.

At the end of the day, its your choice of course, but are you sure that you won't ever want to use Caravan Club sites as opposed to CL's?

memberenquiries@caravanclub. co. uk or call the CC. I'm surprised that anyone would want to cancel after one CL. You paid by DD, so you can cancel it, inform the CC of what you are doing and pay the £46 plus £10 for not going ahead with the DD. I wouldn't think that you would be entitled to a cooling off period as you have made use of the CC albeit not a very nice experience for you. If you intend to carry on caravanning, the CC is IMO as good as any and I have never had any warden or owner shout at me over all the years I've been touring, so I would put your experience down as a one off and start again.

Under the Consumer Rights Act the OP is entitled to a full refund as it is under 30 days since they joined. The only financial loss suffered may be the OP. If the OP still wants to go ahead with a cancellation, the CC would be very foolish to deny them a full refund, however hopefully the OP will not let one bad experience put them off. Through no fault of our own, we have had even worse from C & CC wardens on proper sites

Don't give up on the CC Amy, there are some lovely CL's out there, try and find one with hard standings for the winter months :) you were unlucky that you found the owner so rude as most are lovely people.

Shame to let this one incident spoil your enjoyment but can understand your reservations. Give a few more outings a chance before cancelling as they a few and far between, as for the CL owner they want people to visit there site and get paid for it, if someone accidently drove over some grass this is not an excuse for shouting and belittling someone especially if a genuine mistake.

Edited by harvomark
  • Like 1

Guest Grump

I had accidentally drove over some grass trying to turn around.

if you drive on grass you will gouge great tyre marks in it if you are not careful.

If I was the owner of a CL and someone ploughed up my beautifully kept grass by accident I wouldn't be too happy either.

How did, "accidentally drove over some grass trying to turn around" become "you will gouge great tyre marks in it if you are not careful", and "someone ploughed up my beautifully kept grass by accident I wouldn't be too happy"? Someone's making quite a few assumptions here IMO.

It sounds like the CL owner needs to reconsider how he addresses his visitors, even if they do make mistakes - or he won't have visitors for much longer.

Grump

• Like 2

Please, please don't be put off by one owner. We have used CLs for thirty years and rarely had a bad experience. It is a shame that it was your first experience but in any walk of life you will find the odd aggressive person but it doesn't mean the rest are like that.

As others have said if it very wet it is best to check with the owner what to do but you were not to know that if it is your first time.

• Like 1

Hi Amy, sorry you were upset. But give the Club another chance - there are some advantages. But it's best just to stay away from CLs - they are run by small time amateurs - and go to to proper professionally run, business like campsites.

If CLs were the greatest thing then all the countries in the rest of the world would have adopted the idea long ago - they haven't and they won't. The whole CL idea is a strange British custom 50 years out of date. Every caravan owner across the rest of Europe would be baffled by the idea of your man with a lawn protecting it from visitors. Proper campsites aren't like that. A few British expats have tried to introduce the CL idea to Europe, but no French, Spanish or Italian Caravanner would dream of staying at them.

Enjoy your travels.

Edited by moorgate
  • Like 2

How did, "accidentally drove over some grass trying to turn around" become "you will gouge great tyre marks in it if you are not careful", and "someone ploughed up my beautifully kept grass by accident I wouldn't be too happy"? Someone's making quite a few assumptions here IMO.

It sounds like the CL owner needs to reconsider how he addresses his visitors, even if they do make mistakes - or he won't have visitors for much longer.

Grump

Thankyou!! I literally had one tyre that had gone on the grass (which by the way already had a caravan and car parked up on a few metres away!) I really shouldn't assume that if a car and caravan were allowed on that I wouldn't. Bloody Nora these replies!

• Like 6

Under the Consumer Rights Act the OP is entitled to a full refund as it is under 30 days since they joined. The only financial loss suffered may be the OP. If the OP still wants to go ahead with a cancellation, the CC would be very foolish to deny them a full refund, however hopefully the OP will not let one bad experience put them off. Through no fault of our own, we have had even worse from C & CC wardens on proper sites

Need to check whether the Consumer Rights Act covers this as it covers goods, this is a service.

If it did cover it, on what grounds will the customer reject it, the membership of the CC Club has not failed the OP, also it is a third party that has supplied the service.

Distance selling?

Grump

Thankyou!! I literally had one tyre that had gone on the grass (which by the way already had a caravan and car parked up on a few metres away!) I really shouldn't assume that if a car and caravan were allowed on that I wouldn't. Bloody Nora these replies!

Good point ! Sorry. ... reading it in the light of a new day it seems I did go a bit over the top . ....

Edited by Shirl250
  • Like 2

It would be interesting to have the CL owner's version of events.

• Like 1