Caravan Club Survey - The Scores Are In

Steamdrivenandy

The December mag features an article giving the first results from the CC Survey held earlier in the year. Apparently nearly 40,000 responses were received which is a big number for such surveys.

Headline figures are that:

• 89% of owners rated their van as Good or better overall, 7% rated it as Average and 4% as Poor or worse.
  • 81% of owners said the quality and reliability of their van was Good or better, 11% said it was Average and 7% said it was Poor or worse
  • 19% of owners said they had a handover delayed due to faults
  • 19% also said their van had a fault that had prevented them using it at some time.
  • 75% thought that quality and reliability was better (but better than what?), 8% thought it was about the same and 8% thought it was worse. 9% didn't know.
  • An interesting graph showed ratings for quality and reliability rising to 95% in the year 2000, only to start a steady downward slope to 78% in 2011. From that point the line gradually rises to its current position of 87% this year.

The article suggests the recent improvement is down to new construction methods. Which may be a contributor, but for the first two years those methods started being used the graph went down. Since 2011 the graph has trended upwards and it's true that more new construction processes came in around 2012 and have continued spreading into a wider range of vans over the last year or so.

Overall it suggests that the oft repeated line on CT, that 'the great majority of owners are happy with their vans' has been proved correct. It will be interesting to see the more detailed results that are promised later.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Overall it suggests that the oft repeated line on CT, that 'the great majority of owners are happy with their vans' has been proved correct. It will be interesting to see the more detailed results that are promised later.

The above may be true or it could be that many people fix the faults themselves or just learn to live with poor quality and accept it as the norm. Some faults if similar was happening with a motor vehicle woudl justify a VOSA recall, but with caravans the manufacturers simplay wash their hands and get on with it. We have never been able to buy a brand new fault free caravan.

Our first brand new caravan had so many constant faults that after 8 months ownership we traded it in at a loss for another brand new caravan. This one had numerous faults and in the first 6 months spent more time in the workshop than in storage. After 2 years it had to go back to the factory as the sides were pulling away from the furniture inside. Our current caravan which was bought brand new has suffered with damp issues for the last 3 services plus other issues one of which they have never been able to repair althouh the caravan si not 54 years old!

Are we the only unlucky ones that always have major faults on brand new caravans bought between 2005 and 2011?

Edited by DeltaTIowner

Looks like you purchased all your new vans whilst the quality graph was heading south from its peak in 2000. From 2011 it started getting better but quality is still only halfway back to where it was in 2000.

To my mind the single most damning figure here is almost one fifth of caravans had faults that delayed delivery,

That is an appalling state of affairs and trading standards should be all over this - IMHO.

The Caravan Club seriously needs to consider if its proper place is serving the needs of its members or its advertisers.

Adventure before dementia.

Saving for a Caravisio !!

Surely delaying a handover so that an issue can be corrected isn't something that Trading Standards would be interested in? Having vans handed over that are dangerous in some way would be.

I'm also not clear whether people would have reported a delayed handover because the previous handover overran or the swapping of their motor mover took longer than expected etc. They're not necessarily all down to product quality issues. Indeed I bet some have had to be delayed due to factory production schedule hiccups and/or transport delays.

And we shouldn't pre-judge the CC on this survey, they're promising future articles on the survey with more brand specific information.

And we shouldn't pre-judge the CC on this survey, they're promising future articles on the survey with more brand specific information.

As the CC seem to favour Bailey caravans, will this be the brand specific information?

As the CC seem to favour Bailey caravans, will this be the brand specific information?

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion?

That might have changed. The CC has just bought 50 Adria caravans to replace previous Bailey caravans it used for its towing courses.

I'm not sure the purchase of a fleet of empty, unfurnished Bailey vans way back is evidence of bias towards that particular brand. More likely that they offered the best deal in terms of price and future support at the time.

I believe that Bailey supply the CC with the caravans used in the Towcar of the Year shindig and Bailey are one of the sponsors of the event. I suspect that could easily change if Bailey decided it was no longer cost effective, or that their promotional budget would be better used elsewhere. Would a change to Lunar, or Coachman, or Swift automatically mean the CC were biased towards them. Give them a break, they're a Caravan Club and some things they do involve caravans, strangely enough. They have to procure some from somewhere.

Surely delaying a handover so that an issue can be corrected isn't something that Trading Standards would be interested in? Having vans handed over that are dangerous in some way would be.

I'm also not clear whether people would have reported a delayed handover because the previous handover overran or the swapping of their motor mover took longer than expected etc. They're not necessarily all down to product quality issues. Indeed I bet some have had to be delayed due to factory production schedule hiccups and/or transport delays.

Clearly if the dealer has to delay the handover it means the brand new caravan has at least one fault that needs rectification.

If this was a car or washing machine or television or bicycle or coffee maker or torch of anything else, there would be hell too pay.

It is a disgrace.

Clearly if the dealer has to delay the handover it means the brand new caravan has at least one fault that needs rectification.

If this was a car or washing machine or television or bicycle or coffee maker or torch of anything else, there would be hell too pay.

It is a disgrace.

Cars, washing machines, televisions etc are built in their millions by robots on state-of-the-art production lines. Caravans are still assembled by humans, so they will inevitably be subject to human error. It's not a disgrace it's an unfortunate fact of life.

However, as has been said on many threads, some dealers are clearly not doing their PDIs properly and catching the faults before the buyer arrives. Maybe, in some cases, this is because the buyer is too eager to take delivery and doesn't give the dealer enough time to complete the PDI.

I'm looking forward to the CC publishing more brand specific information, especially as when I filled in this survey they kept asking me about Hymer. :o

It is a disgrace.

Clearly you didn't take the time to read my paragraph that said:

'I'm also not clear whether people would have reported a delayed handover because the previous handover overran or the swapping of their motor mover took longer than expected etc. They're not necessarily all down to product quality issues. Indeed I bet some have had to be delayed due to factory production schedule hiccups and/or transport delays.'

So we can't assume that the nearly 20% of handovers that are delayed are because of quality issues in the product. Added to the above can be sickness/absence at the dealers and/or unfinalised finance problems. So let's not immediately berate the manufacturers/dealers, there are a goodly number of causes outside their control.

I'm not sure the purchase of a fleet of empty, unfurnished Bailey vans way back is evidence of bias towards that particular brand. More likely that they offered the best deal in terms of price and future support at the time.

I believe that Bailey supply the CC with the caravans used in the Towcar of the Year shindig and Bailey are one of the sponsors of the event. I suspect that could easily change if Bailey decided it was no longer cost effective, or that their promotional budget would be better used elsewhere. Would a change to Lunar, or Coachman, or Swift automatically mean the CC were biased towards them. Give them a break, they're a Caravan Club and some things they do involve caravans, strangely enough. They have to procure some from somewhere.

Sometime ago I questioned the use of these vans as not being 'of the real world' and pointed out that the absence of high level cabinetry was not a realistic way of evaluating a caravan.

I was duly informed - by one of the moderators;I believe that the caravans were ballasted with water and then a protracted discusion followed about my observation/observations.

How can caravans be fairly judge for towing characteristics and stability when all of the weight is down on the floor.

I gave up in the end.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Cars, washing machines, televisions etc are built in their millions by robots on state-of-the-art production lines. Caravans are still assembled by humans, so they will inevitably be subject to human error. It's not a disgrace it's an unfortunate fact of life.

However, as has been said on many threads, some dealers are clearly not doing their PDIs properly and catching the faults before the buyer arrives. Maybe, in some cases, this is because the buyer is too eager to take delivery and doesn't give the dealer enough time to complete the PDI.

Hmm, however you dress it up or spin the numbers, a 20 percent failure in quality control is pretty poor by any standards whatsoever in any industry IMHO.

I would certainly have been livid and very wet had my factory built yacht shown some of the very basic faults we see reported on here.

Anyway if your happy to accept the situation when you spend that amount of your hardearned, then that's fine.

Sometime ago I questioned the use of these vans as not being 'of the real world' and pointed out that the absence of high level cabinetry was not a realistic way of evaluating a caravan.

I was duly informed - by one of the moderators;I believe that the caravans were ballasted with water and then a protracted discusion followed about my observation/observations.

How can caravans be fairly judge for towing characteristics and stability when all of the weight is down on the floor.

I gave up in the end.

Right, so the CC tests clearly can't be relied upon.

As said will be interesting to see what future articles it spawns, anything is purely guesswork.

It's a big sample survey so useful in that aspect, but it's also the CC so some already have filed it as useless :)

That might have changed. The CC has just bought 50 Adria caravans to replace previous Bailey caravans it used for its towing courses.

When I did my towing course 6 years ago I asked about why they used Bailey as having just bought one hoped he would say they were the best! His response was Bailey were they only ones who tendered to supply them!

Mike

Hmm, however you dress it up or spin the numbers, a 20 percent failure in quality control is pretty poor by any standards whatsoever in any industry IMHO.

I would certainly have been livid and very wet had my factory built yacht shown some of the very basic faults we see reported on here.

Anyway if your happy to accept the situation when you spend that amount of your hardearned, then that's fine.

Right, so the CC tests clearly can't be relied upon.

The questions in the survey were sufficiently vague and open that you could hardly attribute any delay or fault to a particular cause. Likewise there are some out there who just nit-pick for the sake of it.

I'm not saying that there aren't genuine faults but there are those who revel in trivia. So I'm actually wondering how you came to your 20% failure in QC.

Remember that it was only those who actually bothered to fill in the survey that got counted and generally it those who feel that they've got a problem who whinge the longest and loudest. A bit more information on the actual causes would be much more useful than a blanket question " was your van delayed due to faults"

AFAIK yachts, cars and yes, even caravans are subject to PDI inspections by the dealers who get paid to sort out any minor (or major) problems before they pass the product onto their customers. Some caravan dealers seem to be particularly poor at this aspect of their job.

Edited by matelodave

Yeh your probably right and it's all just white noise.

I guess until one is actually the owner of a new caravan that suffers a bunch of faults, serious or trivial, one will always have doubt.