Ireland 2016 Tour (South) Advice And Recommendations Sought.

Hi All,

we are thinking of planning an Ireland (South) tour for next spring/summer and are looking for advice and recommendations for sites, routes and stays - not been there before but have heard nothing but good things.

We love the countryside, country pubs, sea-sides, beautiful walks, lakes and quiet picturesque villages with some true Irish fare and frolics if on.

We want to see and experience the 'real' Ireland and not too 'turned on' by big cities and 'busy' areas.

Anyone done this sort of tour and could give some recommendations? We would like to spend a few days here and there and move around for about two weeks exploring, then have a relaxing last week somewhere to unwind and reflect. We think it would start off at Fishguard then across to Rosslare.

Any and all recommendations greatly received - photos an absolute bonus too. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Tazbot(s). ;)

We went to Ireland in September this year. From Rosslare we went to Clonmel where we stayed with friends. Then we went onto Tralee and stayed at Woodlands Camping site. It was a good base to see a lot of area including the Dingle Penisula.

From there we went to Cork and stayed at Blarney Camping ground which is very sloping but very nice. However if we were to do it again, we would give Cork a wide berth as the visit to Blarney castle was not worth the price paid. After that back home.

We went to the NEC show in Feb this year and on visiting the Irish tourism stand we picked up a pamphlet which offered good discounts with Irish ferries. There and back with a twin axle caravan plus 3 dogs cost us under £200!

Lady Margaret's Park is a great site a few mins from the ferry, run by a family who look like the Corrs! From there sites I can recommend are Tree Grove on the outskirts of Kilkenny, The Apple at Cahir, Blarney CS, and one at Clifden the name of which escapes me. Nearer to Dublin, Camac Valley is good for access into the city by bus or tram.

Wow, that was quick - thanks for the recommendations so far. Great stuff, Thanks.

Regards,

Tazbot.

To tour Ireland properly you really need at least 3 weeks. The Irish tourist board produce an excellent caravan site booklet with all the sites available. Beware that it is expensive but if you go then save up and make a real trip of it.

Last trip was over a month but started in the North near Bushmills. ..great area. ...then down to Armagh. .. Athlone,Galway (Ballinasloe),, we found some farm sites en route but don't have details available at moment, Killarney ( White Bridge),Kilkenny (Tree Grove again)...then up to Roundwood South of Dublin.

As said above. .some of these sites are not UK prices nor are facilities always at our expected levels. ..some we found the EHU wasn't in the price. ....most you had to use euros in the slot for showers. ...all but one made us really welcome!

If you are using roads through the middle of the country ( the actual bog area is one) then the chance of quick journey is limited, although much has been done to the infrastructure many roads are still pathetic. ....maximum speed for caravans even on motorways is 50 mph. ...the biggest motorway is the Dublin road and it is often slower moving than M25. ...

Last time we were in Kilkenny, which advertises itself as a Music city. .....on a Monday night in Spring there was only one venue playing traditional stuff. .......many of the travelling musicians are students or teachers and they are only available when school is out!!

One place we have not been to yet are the Cliffs of Moher in Co. Clare but may do next time. ...we now have family living in RoI so no longer take the 'van

This site may give some help. ..

http://www. camping-ireland. ie/

enjoy, it isn't the cheapest place in Europe to get to but the craic is great!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

If you want to visit The Cliffs of Moher, there's an excellent campsite by the sea at Doolin, Nagles Doolin Camping and Caravan Park. We went around 3 years ago and wondered why everyone was set up in a circle towards the rear of the site, so we chose a nice sea view. The wind and horizontal rain soon told us why everyone else chose some shelter! The walks from the site were excellent and I could watch the sea all day, especially when it is boiling as it appeared for the 4 days when we were there. The village has an excellent pub with live music. If you want a bit of city time, then Its about an hour's drive from Galway which we enjoyed.

The Irish National is being held at Clonakilty right in the South over the Easter weekend.

There will be a pre and post but details are not out yet and when you add all three you have got two weeks covered.

We will be crossing to Larne or Belfast and spending a few days travelling down and back.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

To tour Ireland properly you really need at least 3 weeks. The Irish tourist board produce an excellent caravan site booklet with all the sites available. Beware that it is expensive but if you go then save up and make a real trip of it.

Wwe thought the sites were cheaper than UK sites, but then again the Euro was in our favour.

Wwe thought the sites were cheaper than UK sites, but then again the Euro was in our favour.

At the time of the long visit ( which included the Irish National) the pound v euro rate wasn'tr in our favour but paying 22 euros a night for a CL type site without electrics was a surprise then. ...none of the sites we stayed at would match,if wanted, the 'luxury' of say CC or C&CC sites, however they were all clean and tidy and friendly and more than adequate for our use. ..

geoff

We went to the NEC show in Feb this year and on visiting the Irish tourism stand we picked up a pamphlet which offered good discounts with Irish ferries. There and back with a twin axle caravan plus 3 dogs cost us under £200!

That is cheap. Car, no caravan, wife and 3 kids for Christmas is £370 and have paid more than that in the past!

That is cheap. Car, no caravan, wife and 3 kids for Christmas is £370 and have paid more than that in the past!

Stena are still offering me 20 % discount on a 2015 sailing. ..as a past user.

geoff

Stena are still offering me 20 % discount on a 2015 sailing. ..as a past user.

geoff

Thanks Geoff, if it's the same one I have it expires for travel the week before Christmas, which was no use!

Booked with Irish ferries which was the cheapest, first time used for a while and on the Oscar Wilde.

Mike

Booked with Irish ferries which was the cheapest, first time used for a while and on the Oscar Wilde.

Mike

Mike, you should have booked the Ulysses and I would have looked after you.

Mike, you should have booked the Ulysses and I would have looked after you.

Thanks Brendan, would have preferred the big u but it's going the wrong way for us at the times we wanted!

Your not the skipper are you?!!

Mike

It is difficult to advise not knowing what your interests are and what you look for in a holiday. It is unholy impossible to tour Southern Ireland in a few months and see everything that there is to be seen. I would think twice, quote, "... to spend a few days here and there and move around for about two weeks exploring. .." depending on which area you are in. Every time you upsticks and move on it's a day you can kiss good bye and a day less to see what there is to see.

I have been going to Southern Ireland since 1976 and have family there. I put my roots down and radiate out but it is each to their own. I can only suggest that if you pick an area or areas and thoroughly google that area so you don't miss out on anything.

I believe the Belfast-Liverpool ferry usually offers 'caravans go free', well they did this Summer

As others have said, Camac Valley just outside Dublin is a great base for exploring the capital city, but is blighted by constant road noise from the neighbouring dual carriageway circular

Venture down into Wicklow and Hidden Valley has to be one of the best sites in Mexico. ..sorry Ireland at the moment :)

Woodlands in Tralee is also a great site, run very well

Adare Caravan Park is a lovely, rural, quiet site and close to the village which is very pretty

Westport House in Mayo is a good base for exploring Mayo, Galway, Connemara but is normally very busy and popular with families due to the neighbouring adventure park

I believe there are a few good sites around Killarney, but be warned, the whole county of Kerry is a bit of a tourist trap, more so than Dublin

Edited by Debaser

I believe the Belfast-Liverpool ferry usually offers 'caravans go free', well they did this Summer

As others have said, Camac Valley just outside Dublin is a great base for exploring the capital city, but is blighted by constant road noise from the neighbouring dual carriageway circular

Venture down into Wicklow and Hidden Valley has to be one of the best sites in Mexico. ..sorry Ireland at the moment :)

Woodlands in Tralee is also a great site, run very well

Adare Caravan Park is a lovely, rural, quiet site and close to the village which is very pretty

Westport House in Mayo is a good base for exploring Mayo, Galway, Connemara but is normally very busy and popular with families due to the neighbouring adventure park

I believe there are a few good sites around Killarney, but be warned, the whole county of Kerry is a bit of a tourist trap, more so than Dublin

There are tourists traps world wide even the UK would you believe! it can depend on when the area is visited.

We were in Killarney between Easter & Spring Bank and whilst busy wasn't especially 'tourist trap'...Dingle was a little more so.

geoff

We were in Killarney between Easter & Spring Bank and whilst busy wasn't especially 'tourist trap'...Dingle was a little more so.

geoff

Your remark about Dingle is probably an understatement! LOL! :D

If you get your timings right Daniel O'Donnell is doing a residency in Killarney next Summer

Gotta be worth going now :lol:

Your remark about Dingle is probably an understatement! LOL! :D

As ever I don't tend to over emphasise! Last time it was raining and not even the dolphin was happy. ..and we kept meeting foreign drivers going the wrong way around the Ring of Kerry. ..

geoff

As ever I don't tend to over emphasise! Last time it was raining and not even the dolphin was happy. ..and we kept meeting foreign drivers going the wrong way around the Ring of Kerry. ..

geoff

Actually there is no right or wrong way around the Ring of Kerry quote, " we kept meeting foreign drivers going the wrong way around the Ring of Kerry. .." It is a myth often quoted. If it were illegal the courts would not possibly be able to cope as vehicles travel in either direction seven days a week morning till night.

However, as tourist coaches travel counterclockwise starting from Killarney going to Kilorglin first if any large vehicles travel clockwise then meeting coaches coming toward them would make it difficult at certain points on the route.

Back on topic, there's a decent CC affiliated site at Glenbeigh on the Ring, if you want an alternative to Killarney. Good pubs in the village.