Sign in to follow this  
dougie

How's Your Season Been

First year as a caravanner, and as a family we have totalled up 45 nights away. Hope to increase this next year.

Absolutely dire - just 3 nights away compared to the 150 we normally get - with all our current health issues maybe we should tour round the local hospital car parks with the caravan!

I'm sorry to hear this. We have had a curtailed season too. Mr PoppyDog hurt his back in July and has finally returned to work today! Last trip was July, next one probably Easter, although we may need the bed at Christmas. .

Blimey, thought we had done well with 97 nights and 5 more (at least) to come.) best year ever, first time using C. C sites and CL 's but mainly DA camping and a 3 week trip to France. Retirement next September so could be best ever next year.

Was doing well until I wrote my car off, which does tend to scupper things. Had our best ever holiday in the van in France during the summer and all of us want to go back. Only issue was not enough weekends away this year

Not as many days away as planned due to illness in our daughter's in-laws and consequent additional child minding.

Did get a good break in the New Forest and Dorset in the summer and a few weekends away.

To answer the opening question, "How's Your Season Been?", the quick response is that our season is still "being".

We've been all over the UK this year with the latest trips being to Newquay in Cornwall, and a couple of sojourns to the Peak District and a week in the Midlands for the NEC show. Sadly owing to hospital appointments getting in the way, we've had to plan around them.

We're among those strange people that use their outfit throughout the year, so have little knowledge of caravan covers, winter storage or through lack of use, damaged tyres, seized couplings etc. In fact on the last few outfits we haven't even drained the water down other than when flushing it out, as the interior has always been held well above freezing, and the outfit used regularly even when parked at home. Currently we have a motorhome, and like the previous outfits, it is frequently used as an extension to our facilities in the house.

It has however just been polished all over (a job and a half to do correctly) after our recent return home, and is going in for its annual service shortly, so it will be ready for use again over Christmas and the New Year. We're undecided about the main holiday next year yet, but if Calais is open for business again we may go that way. After running the gauntlet last year owing to problems at the ports, this year we avoided the continent, not only for a main holiday but also for day trips.

Here's to another enjoyable year next year!

Gordon.

After twelve years motorhoming all over Europe,this year came back to a caravan,why?simply because wife 78 me 74 are not as mobile as we were and we're seeing too much of campsites and not much else!

Sold motorhome,good price, bought small Bailey Genoa big mistake! poor quality,pain of making up bed etc.

SO have bought bigger car,new 2016 Lunar clubman Si and off to Spain shortly for about ten weeks. twelf year in a row.

By end of 2015 we will have spent twenty weeks m/ homing or caravaning this year all in uk since April.

Are we mad? buying two litre car,new caravan at our age? Of course we are! You have to be to be a vanner whether it's got an engine or not.

Long may it last!

Ps. we have many friends waiting to greet us in Spain,ages range up to 86, many older than us,all driving vans or m/ homes.

As long they are safe and sensible,I wish them well.

Dave.

• Like 4

Season is still going! Trip to Castleton first weekend in December and then need to seen if we can squeeze a weekend away in January before the new van comes.

Not as many weekends away as we would have liked but managed to get away for all the mains school holidays and France is booked again for next year.

Mike

Well baby Alfa arrived ten days early and in a rush! Got me thinking we might get a winter weekend or two away before the new van arrives in march!

• Like 4

Well baby Alfa arrived ten days early and in a rush! Got me thinking we might get a winter weekend or two away before the new van arrives in march!

Congratulations, hope all is OK!

• Like 1

Congratulations and many 'nappy' returns :D

• Like 3

I've just totted up our average for the last 10 years since retiring has been 145 nights per year. This year however we've only done 97 as I couldn't go out to play cos I was poorly. But were all systems go for next year again.

This is our first ever season, and I thought we'd done well with 5 trips totaling 34 days,,but reading some of these replies we've hardly been away at all.

We do have excuse of hospital and doctor visits so hopefully things will settle down and we can do more next year.

We've definitely enjoyed the trips we've done,,a steep learning curve,, and with the exception of the last site, all the locations were lovely,,and we too are keeping a log as the memory isn't quite what it was.

• Like 1

Easter at North Ledaig, spring BH in Portmadoc july break in Bude, August BH in Barnard Castle & long Oct wknd in Whitby - 28 nights in total. Thought that was it for this year, but changing the van so first two weekends in Dec booked at local site :D

Worst year we've had weather wise though !

Easter at North Ledaig, spring BH in Portmadoc july break in Bude, August BH in Barnard Castle & long Oct wknd in Whitby - 28 nights in total. Thought that was it for this year, but changing the van so first two weekends in Dec booked at local site :D

Worst year we've had weather wise though !

Did you go to the seafood shack in Oban whilst staying at North Ledaig?

We've had a wonderful season with about 40 nights away, wish it could be more but hubby having to work gets in the way! ;) Has another 6 years at least before he can retire so I'll have to be patient for more time away :) we spend all our breaks at the Old Oaks now and never get bored as we love it so much, does mean we don't get away over the winter as they are closed for three months but quite happy with that :) just paid our storage for the next year and hols now all booked throughout 2016 ( wouldn't get in if not )can't wait till March when we can go back :)

Did you go to the seafood shack in Oban whilst staying at North Ledaig?

Hi Kate,

No we didn't. The temperature did not rise above 5 deg C for the entire week & apart from 1 day when we managed to get to Mull on the ferry, we were battered by rain, sleet, hail & 70mph gusts - not really seafood weather :)

Our 1st year back after a 5 year break, managed 24 nights away. Mrs Bluebird retires next March and the ferry is booked, sailing on 1st April for a 12 week european adventure. Have been reading all the blogs I can find and slowly a plan is coming together.

Sadly our caravanning season has been marred with family bereavement's.

On our first outing to Maidens (luckily enough it was a local site) as my Brother-in-Law Hugh died suddenly as a result of a heart attack, he was 68.

After just 33 nights away with the caravan this year, my remaining Brother-in-Law was diagnosed with stomach cancer and I immediately knew we would not get back out as my Missus was spending more time with her Sister.

Sadly Alan passed away just one month after being diagnosed, he was 73.

My 65th birthday was just a few days later but with no celebrations and opening my card from my Sister-in-Law with just Anna's name on it brought a tear to my eye.

On top of that we lost Bill, the Missus's Father in January. He had a good life at 92 but I am still working on his house to modernise it a bit before placing it on the market in the spring.

I put the caravan into storage just last week but I just can't wait to get back out and have a nice rest.

On the brighter side we had a lovely addition to the family, my wee grand daughter Arlo, a little sister for Isla aged three and a cousin for Anna aged one. I also have a grand son aged 15 but it's the girls I just love to spend any spare time with, and they just love their "Papa"

• Like 3

Dreadful season here, spent far to much time in April and May doing a knock through in the house which took precious time up at weekends .

Never again .

Ste

Had a great season, and still am, its never over, just jeeps on going

• Like 1

Normally we do about 100 nights but this year only managed 30 nights, in between hospital appointments as the big C hit us both. Hopefully next year will be better but we are planning to stay in UK for a change. Might even make Scotland this time.

We picked up our first van on 5th September, so an incredibly short season for us! However we still managed 12 nights with another 4 booked over new year. We've really got the bug now, excited for lots of adventures next year!!

• Like 1

Ummmmm, quiet. Just 3 days away in November!

About 10 weeks, including 7 en France! Just back from 5 nights at Chester .

Also had 10 weeks in Australia of which 40 days were spent in rented motorhome. :D Cairns to Sydney.

Booked to go back in Feb having another 4 weeks in motorhome, this time Victoria and S. Australia.

Its hell retirement :lol:

Have you considered what the Aussies call "around the block?" . ..... Full circumnavigation of Aussie - only takes a year

Despite Mrs Lee being an Aussie she won't have a bar of the idea