2015 Swift Challenger Se Reverse Light

glynnmorgan

Hi ive recently purchased the challenger and i tow with a 2015 jaguar sportbrake with factory fitted detachable tow bar, the problem i am having is the reverse light on the caravan is not working when hooked up to the jag but it does work when hooked up to a friends 2011 honda crv. The tow bar and electrics have been checked and all is apparently working fine, Anyone know if its a car or caravan problem?

If the reverse light works reliably on a different car the fault lies with the car. No matter that the wiring has been tested! Testing will often miss intermittent faults and this is my guess.

+1 the car. In your caravan handbook there will be a schematic of the 13 pin set up. Start be testing pin8 with a meter set to dc volts, when you should see 12 v or thereabouts with ignition on and in reverse. If nothing, then the reverse wire to the car socket is missing, or broken, or not connected somewhere. You need to check if the car was wired at the factory or is aftermarket, (often characterised by horrid scotchlok connectors), as this will determine the course of further checks

Do of course check that the cars own reverse lights work (there is a gearbox switch of some sort that activates the reverse circuit and the switch can fail). Do this with the 13 pin disconnected as some cars trailer systems disable certain lights to avoid glare at night.

thanks for your replies i am going to get it tested, before it goes back into jag, by an independent tow bar fitter that i have used in the past, i have read somewhere about landrover having similar problems and that the caravan lights have to be changed because there is some sort of conflict, i am wandering if this could be the case as jag and landrover are the same company? if so who would be responsible for the cost as this is a brand new car and caravan and the towbar had to be fitted by jag to keep the warranty intact which needless to say cost a small fortune

If you find it is the same as Landrover and compatibility with LED lighting if you contact Craig at Sargent he will advise which module you will require. I am afraid you will be charged for the unit as it is not a problem with the Swift van but the cars compatibility.

If you find it is the same as Landrover and compatibility with LED lighting if you contact Craig at Sargent he will advise which module you will require. I am afraid you will be charged for the unit as it is not a problem with the Swift van but the cars compatibility.

Thanks so if its the cars compatibility then surely its jaguars responsibility to sort out the problem as i paid them over £1200 to fit a tow bar to tow a caravan?

That is a huge sum to pay for a tow bar and electrics. So you are right that Jag should sort it out if it is the car at fault.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Not a problem with the swift van !

No other manufacturer has this issue when caravans are fitted to the tow car !,

That is a huge sum to pay for a tow bar and electrics. So you are right that Jag should sort it out if it is the car at fault.

I agree its way too much to pay, but it was made very clear when i bought the car that if i had an after market tow bar it would void the warranty so i had no choice. Interesting to see the tow bars for the new jaguars are much cheaper to have fitted .

Hi ive now had it tested by a trusted independent tow bar fitter and everything is ok with the electrics so its definitely a compatibility problem between the car and caravan, not happy that after spending so much money i now have to sort this problem at my own cost, thanks for all your help

Bailey Unicorn IIIs had a similar problem as they were fitted with LED rear lights which caused havoc with certain makes of car as the can-bus system couldn't detect the very low current consumption of the LED lights. For a very short time Bailey did supply a box to sort it out, but it was very expensive so they reverted to conventional lights with filament bulbs. My Unicorn has got convetional lighting which works correctly with my previous Ford S-Max with dedicated wiring (I'm still waiting to find out what happens with my new one as I still haven't got a towbar fitted)

It's not really a problem with the car as it probably works fine with conventional filament lighting and its only fairly recently that caravan manufacturers have tried LED road lighting so you could argue that the caravan is incompatible with the car. It's not Jaguar's fault that you chose a caravan with LED lights. So I can't see them wanting to solve a problem caused by your choice of a Swift caravan.

You won't get a problem with a car fitted with a "by-pass" relay unit as it's really a bodge to circumvent the car's canbus system but of course it won't disable the car reversing sensors, reverse & rear fog lamps or interface with the car ECU and warning systems.

Edited by matelodave

Bailey Unicorn IIIs had a similar problem as they were fitted with LED rear lights which caused havoc with certain makes of car as the can-bus system couldn't detect the very low current consumption of the LED lights. For a very short time Bailey did supply a box to sort it out, but it was very expensive so they reverted to conventional lights with filament bulbs. My Unicorn has got convetional lighting which works correctly with my previous Ford S-Max with dedicated wiring (I'm still waiting to find out what happens with my new one as I still haven't got a towbar fitted)

It's not really a problem with the car as it probably works fine with conventional filament lighting and its only fairly recently that caravan manufacturers have tried LED road lighting so you could argue that the caravan is incompatible with the car. It's not Jaguar's fault that you chose a caravan with LED lights. So I can't see them wanting to solve a problem caused by your choice of a Swift caravan.

You won't get a problem with a car fitted with a "by-pass" relay unit as it's really a bodge to circumvent the car's canbus system but of course it won't disable the car reversing sensors, reverse & rear fog lamps or interface with the car ECU and warning systems.

thanks, as i understand it, the modification is to the caravan not the car so it shouldnt interfere with the way the car electrics work when hooked up i hope. i agree its not directly a jag problem or swift problem but i dont think it should be my problem either looking like its going to be though

If you contact Sargent Electrics, they supply most units for this on swift caravans

If you contact Sargent Electrics, they supply most units for this on swift caravans

thank you ive been on sargeants website and filled the form in, still annoyed that a problem that has been known about since 2014 can only be solved at extra cost to me

You should also be cognisant of the fact that Jaguar have also been aware of the problem and have done nothing to assist their customers. The problem is that there is no "Standard" for LED lights fitted to cars and bulb failure systems. Swift, through Sargent as the electrical system supplier have at least addressed the problem by offering a solution albeit at extra cost but how are they to know which tow car you are going to use.

£37 a small price to pay.

Edited by b4bill

As b4bill has said it is the car manufacturers which are the ones that should have acted and making sure their vehicles are compatible with LED trailer lights. The mains ones that seem to crop up are Landrover and Jaguar as most other makes appear to hook up with no problems that we hear about.

As b4bill has said it is the car manufacturers which are the ones that should have acted and making sure their vehicles are compatible with LED trailer lights. The mains ones that seem to crop up are Landrover and Jaguar as most other makes appear to hook up with no problems that we hear about.

Surely it is the caravan makers who are at fault for introducing lighting system that do not conform to what for years has been industry standard.

When car manufacturers are going over to LED lighting is it to much to ask them that their dedicated towing electrics module is not also LED compatible.

Until an industry standard emerges, there are always going to be compatability issues. There are far too many permutations for makers to agree on how to do it until they put their heads together and choose to agree. At the moment they are each going their own way.

Thanks again for all your help, ive just spoken to sargeant and theyve not had this problem before, they said to take the caravan back to the dealer to be tested, which they should have done at handover when they realised there was a problem

Edited by glynnmorgan