What Do I Need To Attach A Gaz Cylinder To My Propane Pigtail?

Mr Plodd

I am planning on a 6-8 week trip to France and North Spain in the spring. I have 2 X 6Kg propane (orange) cylinders.

I am uncertain as to whether that will be sufficient gas for the length of trip (we do cook a fair bit whilst away but everything else should be dealt with by leccy hookup thanks to Mr ACSI)

As a "belt and braces" safeguard I thought it might be prudent to cover the eventuality of running out of calor by getting an adaptor to enable me (if necessary) to purchase a Gaz 904/907 and connect it to my existing Propane pigtail.

So does such a device actually exist?? If so any recommendations where to purchase one??

I had also thought about getting one of the larger 13Kg? Propane cylinders (I have a spare 15Kg Butane cylinder I can swop for a Propane jobbby ) and take that together with a single 6Kg cylinder.

My only concerns are that the larger cylinder is a pretty hefty item and I currently struggle to keep my Bailey's nose weight anywhere near to the 75Kg advised nose weight for my tow car.

I have thought about lashing it to the floor beneath the bed (behind the axle) whilst travelling (should actually reduce my nose weight at the same time) and moving it into the capacious gas locker once set up on site. That way I would have in the region of 20Kg of gas which should be sufficient I would think. I will refrain from asking the obvious question as gas usage is dependant on so many variables it's not possible to get a definitive answer to it.

So thoughts, opinions, advice, and tales of practical experience sought in respect of all the above scenarios.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

A lot depends on whether you will use gas or electric as your main energy source for heating and cooking. You mention "spring" and this can be cold or warm, depending on the location/date/weather variations. Assuming you are going on sites with electric hook up and therefore use electric for cooking and heating, your 12Kg of propane should do nicely for the BBQ. If you are enduring cold evenings/nights, and heating the 'van with gas, you may use 1Kg of gas per day!

I am planning on a 6-8 week trip to France and North Spain in the spring. I have 2 X 6Kg propane (orange) cylinders.

I am uncertain as to whether that will be sufficient gas for the length of trip (we do cook a fair bit whilst away but everything else should be dealt with by leccy hookup thanks to Mr ACSI)

As a "belt and braces" safeguard I thought it might be prudent to cover the eventuality of running out of calor by getting an adaptor to enable me (if necessary) to purchase a Gaz 904/907 and connect it to my existing Propane pigtail.

So does such a device actually exist?? If so any recommendations where to purchase one??

I had also thought about getting one of the larger 13Kg? Propane cylinders (I have a spare 15Kg Butane cylinder I can swop for a Propane jobbby ) and take that together with a single 6Kg cylinder.

My only concerns are that the larger cylinder is a pretty hefty item and I currently struggle to keep my Bailey's nose weight anywhere near to the 75Kg advised nose weight for my tow car.

I have thought about lashing it to the floor beneath the bed (behind the axle) whilst travelling (should actually reduce my nose weight at the same time) and moving it into the capacious gas locker once set up on site. That way I would have in the region of 20Kg of gas which should be sufficient I would think. I will refrain from asking the obvious question as gas usage is dependant on so many variables it's not possible to get a definitive answer to it.

So thoughts, opinions, advice, and tales of practical experience sought in respect of all the above scenarios.

Thanks in advance

Andy

I would strongly suggest that you consider purchasing a Safefill cylinder which can be refilled on the continent although you will require an adapator. This means you will only need to carry a single bottle and cna top it up as and when you please. Also a lot cheaper to refill in the UK than refiling a Calor gas 6kg cylinder!

The answer to your question is in this Thread at Post #5 http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/68747-using-a-camping-gaz-bottle-in-caravan/

No need to buy bottles or take extra bottles . In the event you need more gas you can do exactly as your first question and use a GAZ bottle

Edited by b4bill

This will connect to a Butane pigtail http://www. caravanstuff4u. co. uk/gas-hoses/1857-caravan-motorhome-pigtail-gaz-adaptor. html

I can't find one for a Propane pigtail, so that and a butane pigtail will do the job

This will connect to a Butane pigtail http://www. caravanstuff4u. co. uk/gas-hoses/1857-caravan-motorhome-pigtail-gaz-adaptor. html

I can't find one for a Propane pigtail, so that and a butane pigtail will do the job

I've used this setup in the past and it works just fine.

John. :)

As Camping Gaz is butane, I would be very surprised if anyone does a connector to a propane pigtail.

Andy,

The adaptor indicated above will work fine, if you buy a butain pigtail to connect it to the regulator.

This is the setup that I have had, for emergencies, for many years when visiting Spain and France. Frankly though I have stopped taking the gaz bottle with me the last 3 years. I go for 8 to 10 weeks and start off with 2 full 6Kg propane bottles. I do all the cooking on the bbq, and use site electric for fridge, hot water and space heating (if required). I have always returned with 1 bottle still quite full.

This is travelling mid February to early May. In practice I have never come close to running out of gas.

Tom

Andy,

The adaptor indicated above will work fine, if you buy a butain pigtail to connect it to the regulator.

This is the setup that I have had, for emergencies, for many years when visiting Spain and France. Frankly though I have stopped taking the gaz bottle with me the last 3 years. I go for 8 to 10 weeks and start off with 2 full 6Kg propane bottles. I do all the cooking on the bbq, and use site electric for fridge, hot water and space heating (if required). I have always returned with 1 bottle still quite full.

This is travelling mid February to early May. In practice I have never come close to running out of gas.

Tom

My experience exactly!

John. :)

Thanks in advance

Andy

Andy . ... if it helps . ... when we do France, in September . .... 3½ weeks . .... this last year we only used 1½kgs of gas . ....

And, yes . ... we use the cooker and Cadac . ... alot . .... But that is all we use the gas for . ...

So, I would say . ... 2 x 6kgs . ..... is more than enough . ....

Cheers

Pete

Well that pretty well answers my questions, so thank you one and all !! 2 x 6Kg looks like it should be enough.

I will be going April into May and staying on ACSI sites so will have EHU for everything except cooking (and the Cadac)

Andy

As Camping Gaz is butane, I would be very surprised if anyone does a connector to a propane pigtail.

Surprise Surprise. http://www. gasproducts. co. uk/acatalog/copy_of_Propane_Pol_to_Butane_Adaptor. html

Rather than have the info hidden away in another thread this is what Mr Plodd (Andy) needs to answer his original question.

http://www. gasproducts. co. uk/acatalog/copy_of_Propane_Pol_to_Butane_Adaptor. html

http://www. gasproducts. co. uk/acatalog/Campingaz_Cylinder_Adaptor. html

Uses existing Propane pigtail.

Edited by b4bill

Surprise Surprise. http://www. gasproducts. co. uk/acatalog/copy_of_Propane_Pol_to_Butane_Adaptor. html

Rather than have the info hidden away in another thread this is what Mr Plodd (Andy) needs to answer his original question.

http://www. gasproducts. co. uk/acatalog/copy_of_Propane_Pol_to_Butane_Adaptor. html

http://www. gasproducts. co. uk/acatalog/Campingaz_Cylinder_Adaptor. html

Uses existing Propane pigtail.

That's what I have.

Be aware that Camping Gaz contains a fair bit of butane and doesn't perform very well in cold weather (5 degrees or less).

My Alde boiler complained so had to revert to Calor propane, but it's OK for running the oven at these temperatures.

We regularley spend 4 to 5 weeks in Europe use the cadac most days and oven regularley and have never fully used a 6 kg propane. This was a concern of mine when we started going on extended holidays but I think you will be ok unless you use gas for heating. Hope this puts your mind at rest. enjoy.

Well that pretty well answers my questions, so thank you one and all !! 2 x 6Kg looks like it should be enough.

I will be going April into May and staying on ACSI sites so will have EHU for everything except cooking (and the Cadac)

Andy

2 x6kg will be more than enough gas to last. Unless your fridge decides to stop working on electricity, like ours did the first time we went to France.

Thank you again to all have taken the time to share their experiences with me. By the looks of it my 2 x 6Kg cylinders will be ample.

The reason for my asking is that we have recently changed from a motorhome to a caravan. In the past we toured for 4 weeks with the MH. It was fitted with 2 x 13Kg gaslow cylinders and we would usually need to switch onto the second cylinders after about 3 weeks. Having said that we did use Aires a fair bit so gas was used for fridge and water heating which of course will no longer be the case now.

I might just invest in a gaz cylinder tap and an adapter then if we DO run out of gas all I will need to do is purchase a Gaz cylinder.

Andy

Hi,

Two things ,-

1) As you mention going to the continent check on the ferry/train regarding loose/unmounted /size cylinders most have a limit.

2) DONT carry cylinder on its side -- if only a small amount of gas escapes & mixes with air it makes for a very explosive mixture --plus in a confined space & heavier then air. ....

Yep i know ---- lots of people do the above, Likwise at rallies its quite "normal" to see 32Kg cilinders loaded into the back of a car ( 4x4 type ) - no gas stickers & in the event of a crash. .......................

Rather than buying a camping gaz cylinder it would probably more economical to by a larger French bottle. I seem to remember a 11kg was about €30 including deposit. I think Gaslow sell appropriate adaptors and every filling station appears to have bottled gas.

Andy

We bought a Teriyaki electric table top grill, after watching our Dutch neighbours using one in the awning! Useful bit of kit, available from Lidl and Aldi as one of there specials! Has replaced the Cadac!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I might just invest in a gaz cylinder tap and an adapter then if we DO run out of gas all I will need to do is purchase a Gaz cylinder.

As others have mentioned buying a French bottle/adaptor may be cheaper overall. ..we found Camping Gaz cylinders rather pricey there. .hope you don't need either. ...PR1 mentioned an electric grill. ..we went on a rally in FRance where almost all the UK members had George Foreman GRills in the larger sizes. ...perhaps you have a domestic one you could take?

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

• 3 weeks later...

Be aware that Camping Gaz contains a fair bit of butane and doesn't perform very well in cold weather (5 degrees or less).

For those considering Safefill I believe European GPL (aka Autogas) also contains a fair bit of Butane although this percentage might change over the winter months.

It is adjusted depending on the time of year just like diesel. We use safefill and it's never caused issues. you would need to use a lot regularly to make it worth while. we rally all year and can easily use 6kg in two days when it's really cold.