Lights Pulsating On Mains Hook Up

mordred1973

This year we have noticed that for the first day we're plugged in, the voltmeter waivers slightly and for the first night the lights pulsate.

By day 2 all is normal, any idea's if this is a problem with the charger or just a dying battery? (we use the mover to get the caravan out of storage)

Thanks for ideas. ...

It may be the mains plug that goes into the back of the charger and is similar to a kettle plug. It could just be loose as it sounds like a loose connection possibly on the mains side. Could also be a loose wire in the socket or plug of the EHU cable but do disconnect both ends before checking.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Ah thanks Graham, will give those things a check. ....all quite easy to made sure nothing is loose. ...

Which lights are pulsating? Are these 12V lights or mains power lights? Roughly at what rate would you say the pulsating is occurring? If you look at your caravan battery volt meter, is this voltage pulsating too.

It sounds like the charger is not doing a good job of smoothing the voltage while charging, but gets better when the battery is full. Whether this is typical of this type of charger will no doubt be revealed by other owners. Either way, the cure would be a replacement charger.

I would have a good check round for loose connectors as suggested, including the battery terminals, and electrolyte level if possible.

It does sound like it current related, but at this stage I wouldn't be changing anything unless the battery is over 10 years old.

The lights "pulsing" sounds like voltage instability to me. Causes could be either the charger not functioning correctly or the battery. The latter moving the van each time it is taken out of store suggests that is not the issue; if this pulsating occurred just the once that might fit but not each outing.

A volt meter across the battery whilst it is pulsing would determine if the charge voltage is indeed unstable from the charger.

Which lights are pulsating? Are these 12V lights or mains power lights? Roughly at what rate would you say the pulsating is occurring? If you look at your caravan battery volt meter, is this voltage pulsating too.

My Pegasus only has 12v lights. ...doesn't matter whether its the filament lights or LED ones and yes the voltmeter waivers with the pulsating. Then by day 2 once the battery has presumably been topped up it stops and works normally.

It sounds like the charger is pulsating, and needs a repair. Probably the battery is smoothing out the pulsation when its fully charged and the charger voltage drops back.

Bailey chargers are only single stage outputs unless the newer versions have changed.

So that's around 13. 8 volts.

Bailey chargers are only single stage outputs unless the newer versions have changed.

So that's around 13. 8 volts.

The BCA 20A charger/PSU claims to be two-stage.

Here

TS

My U1 has never shown a voltage above 13. 8 volts, same with my 2004 Bailey.

I would be interested to know if the U3 is now 2 stage?

According to Bailey brochure:-

"Switch mode battery charger with 20 amps output"

Ian

Ours did this when the battery was on its way out

By day 2 the battery has been on charge for long enough to cure the problem

I believe it is because the BCA charger requires a battery to work properly

The Bailey spare parts site shows the BCA charger as "for all vans post 2004". The BCA link I posted seems to be referenced to that charger and is listed as 2-stage. But I don't actually know or have any experience to say it is.

TS

According to Bailey brochure:-

"Switch mode battery charger with 20 amps output"

Ian

That doesn't mean the same as two stage though, its just the type of charger, my 2004 Bialey was the same.

• 6 months later...

all solved. ....

I replaced the back up battery on the alarm and result, leisure battery no longer discharges in storage and on site the lights no longer pulsate. Seems it was a simple and cheap fix to all our problems.

• 5 months later...

well we're not far into the dark and grey season, but am happy to report that the leisure battery hooked to a 40W solar panel is maintaining a smidge under 14v with the alarm and tracker system armed. So seems was a simple fix :-)