European Breakdown Cover

Hi all, me and the wife are planning to travel for the first time into France, Belgium and Holland and trying to do as much prep work as possible and one of those items is to get suitable cover.

I would like to cover all bases, car written off caravan written off or the car breaks down etc etc. I have been with the AA for 20 years but can't seem to find any cover and have CC caravan insurance and now at a loss for cover for our trip.

This will be our first trip abroad with a car and caravan so would like it to go smooth even in bad circumstances if that is possible!

Look forward to any suggestions and advice, Andy.

A lot of people swear by CC's Red Pennant.

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/insurance/overseas-holiday-insurance

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We use ADAC and the cover even works here in the UK through the AA.

Red Pennant is the one I've always used.

When I had a tyre disintergrate on my previous van and the size weren't available locally RP searched all over France for me. They couldn't source any, so they sent two by courier from the UK and arranged for a local fitter to come to the site.

Great service.

Look at your car insurer and see if they offer anything. LV that I use do car, caravan, and travel insurance, and you get discount if you already have a policy with them. LV and ADAC are both significantly cheaper than RP.

Edited by Woodentop

Red Pennant is the 'Gold Standard' and provides the sort of cover that you're looking for - absolutely all scenarios. However, it is expensive. You can get a quote and check out just what is provided and what it will cost, and then get similar quotes of cost and provision from other insurers. Only then can you really decide whether it's a price worth paying.

Some years ago now I did a 'small print' exercise with a number of European breakdown cover providers, and almost all had exclusions which could lead to a ruined holiday for some people. You're the only one who can decide what level of cover you'd be happy with.

We have ADAC - we've never had to use it - and it appears to provide enough cover for us.

The 'full monty' of RP for me. ....from time of leaving house to return,even cancellation and repatriation. ..yes lots more expense than highly rated ADAC,but I wouldn't travel caravanwise without it. ....had two claims and all settled within 10 days of accepted documents.

For car only now rely on cover from LV.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

ADAC for us. Covers two cars, caravan and motorbike UK and abroad for about £80. Even has medical repatriation from abroad - handy for a biker.

We have Europe and UK breakdown/recovery cover as an add on to our LV car policy. At £99 it is very good value for money.

ADAC for us. Covers two cars, caravan and motorbike UK and abroad for about £80. Even has medical repatriation from abroad - handy for a biker.

Medical repatriation is not included in the breakdown insurance. ADAC is a German motor club and German nationals will have medical insurance cover under which ADAC would probably be used to repatriate. However, ADAC also provides separate medical cover insurance for those that may need it and, of course would use their own repatriation arrangements.

UK residents need to have medical cover for foreign travel in place and, should repatriation be necessary, the insurer would arrange it not ADAC.

Red Pennant for us, but note if you have an 'older' vehicle - the CC views this as over 10 years - then an additional premium is payable.

Another vote for Red Pennant , might be expensive but the level of cover is excellent

I have just decided to use red pennant as well. It is good cover for the car and medical. We are away for nearly 2 months and I looked around for medical cover but they all seemed to pile it on because I take a tablet and so does my wife . The cost of RP for the car and our medical is not a lot more than medical only so I opted for RP.

It's really getting us nowhere for everyone simply stating which insurance company they use.

Unless someone puts together a comparison sheet of what the competing policies cover, point by point, we are blundering in the dark. Any offers?

With people recommending what they have, you at least have some indication of the level of cover on offer, and the quality of service. Only you know what cover you want, and then you can do the sums and comparison.

I hope this does not come across as harsh, or critical, as that is not my intention.

It's really getting us nowhere for everyone simply stating which insurance company they use.

Unless someone puts together a comparison sheet of what the competing policies cover, point by point, we are blundering in the dark. Any offers?

On the contrary - if tells you that the majority have faith in one particular product and with good reason. What's not to like ?

Exactly. RP cover is all you are likely to need, but many people have reported that the communication and speed of assistance provided back in the UK is second to none, which counts for a heck of lot when things go wrong.

Another vote for Red Pennant. Used them twice when my cars had problems in France and they were excellent. :) The first time I usd them was when my car alternator packed in. The car was picked up from the caravan site and taken to a local garage for repair.

The second time my car wheel bearing went. This could not be repaired locally so I got a replacement car to continue my holiday and my car was recovered to my home a couple of weeks later.

On both occasions my holiday was not spoilt by my car breaking down :)

Medical repatriation is not included in the breakdown insurance. ADAC is a German motor club and German nationals will have medical insurance cover under which ADAC would probably be used to repatriate. However, ADAC also provides separate medical cover insurance for those that may need it and, of course would use their own repatriation arrangements.

UK residents need to have medical cover for foreign travel in place and, should repatriation be necessary, the insurer would arrange it not ADAC.

Alan29 is indeed correct ADAC does cover some Medical problems for the Driver if he was taken ill ADAC have their own Medical Team and Air Ambulances for Accidents and it taken ill in Europe will repatriate to the UK if necessary or if hospitalized abroad will bring close relatives to the hospital and pay for hotel etc for a certain length of time. My husband was taken ill this past April in Austria if he could not have driven home with the van ADAC would have repatriated us and the 2 vehicles, car and caravan. Added to to cover in Europe inc. the UK their is some cover for the USA too.

What you have to look at when taking out Breakdown is the length of your Caravan, ADAC cover up to 10 metres. Also at the age of your Car, some have a limit ADAC do not.

We joined ADAC over 7 years ago because they were the only organization to cover an 8 metre caravan other than the 2 Caravan organizations, we got a quote from RP and it was over £300 for just the period we were away for we now 7 years later only pay E114 (£84) by todays exchange rate for a whole year.

We have used ADAC 3 times in France, Germany and Austria, twice for the car once for the caravan. Service was second to none and all spoke English. Contrary to what some say they cover the caravan whether attached to the car or not, some Organizations do not.

If I were you I would get full details from several Organizations and see which one suits you the best. I can send you the ADAC full Cover in English if you like to PM me with your email address. I do not have a link with ADAC just a satisfied customer.

snooks

You must have full Holiday inc. Medical Cover Insurance plus your EHIC if you travel into Europe.

Edited by snooks

Thanks Snooks.

So can the Red Pennant fan club please spell out what that insurance provides which ADAC does not? As far as I can see one thing is onward travel to a booked destination in the event of a breakdown, and return from there as well. What else please. ?

And I'm asking about Red Pennant Motoring, not Red Pennant Personal, nor the two lumped together as I already have an annual worldwide personal travel policy.

Edited by moorgate

I did exactly that, but it's some years ago now, and providers, and their terms and conditions have changed. It was also very hard comparing like for like, so I'm not going to offer to do it again now, but let's just say that for us, the two alternatives were Red Pennant and ADAC.

We went with ADAC because it's the only policy which offers multiple trips for unlimited periods of time and provides cover in the UK. It also covers any vehicle which you are driving, or in which you are a passenger.