Avtex & Sky

I may be being a bit naive but here goes:-

Been looking at an Avtex TV that includes a satellite decoder so that a satellite box isn't needed.

http://www. avtex. co. uk/index. php/tv-dvd/avtex-l216dr. html

In the description it says:-

"CI socket for access for pay TV’s"

Does this mean that I can take the card out of my Sky box at home and put it into the TV,connect a dish up to it and get Sky as at home,or is that too simple ?

Ian

Not that simple I'm afraid,,im sure your card is coded to your box at home.

Andy.

Ahh. .....................I thought it wouldn't be as easy as that.

Thanks,

Ian

Unfortunately no it does not, in this case they are referring to pay tv channels/services other than sky, the only way to watch sky tv is using a supplied box from sky.

Actually, you can use a Sky card in any Sky box (or receiver capable of decoding the Videoguard NDS encryption), for all Sky channels apart from the premium (Sports, Movies, Sky HD) channels.

For the premium channels (Sports, Movies, Sky HD) these channels will only decrypt in the sky cards paired box.

Most "off the shelf" receivers do not have the firmware for Videoguard NDS encryption, so to use a Sky card to watch the non premium Sky channels, you will need to find a "patch" to update that receivers firmware.

A few years ago, there were a handful of receivers that could do this for all Sky channels, including the premium channels, but Skys increases encryption and pairing put a stop to this.

So it is still possible to watch Skys non premium channels, by using a Sky card in "non sky" boxes, with the correct firmware,

The "CI socket for access for pay TV’s" is probably for a card module "CAM", a card reader. You get various CAMS for the various encryption methods, but these are slowly becoming less used these days as pay tv providers move to more secure "in box" encryption to reduce piracy.

Edited by satandpcguy

I thought the satellite input on the avtex tv was for freesat broadcasts,but stand to be corrected!

I thought the satellite input on the avtex tv was for freesat broadcasts,but stand to be corrected!

That is correect and you can record Freesat programs on the Avtex.

I thought Avtex TVs had "free to air" satellite and not "Freesat"

You could be right as can never remember the difference between the two.

"freesat" (lower case f) is different from "Freesat from Sky" (free-to-air channels), the latter not having the 7 day EPG although many of the channels are the same.

See here for the differences between "Freeview" "freesat" and "FTA" - www. satelliteforcaravans. co. uk

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

Sorry, I should not have mentioned "Freeview" (post 10) which is a terrestrial system needing an aerial instead of a dish however, it does have the 7 day EPG!

I should have said "Freesat from Sky" - "freesat" - "Free To Air" of which, out of the three, only "freesat" has the 7 day EPG.

I do not own an "Avtex" TV but I would imagine it is equipped with both a Terrestrial (Freeview) tuner and a Satellite (FTA) tuner.

Anyone wanting Sky or "freesat" would need to purchase and install the appropriate receiver (Digibox or recorder).

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

Er, wrong Vin. Sky does have a 7-day programme guide whether Freesat-from-Sky or subscription.

Sorry, it's been years since I consigned my old Sky box to the attic. Memory's on the blink, must be an age thing! :(

Vin Blanc

Er, wrong Vin. Sky does have a 7-day programme guide whether Freesat-from-Sky or subscription.

The issue is the EPG on the Avtex Tv when wathcing a free satellite transmission. The EPG is current and not 7 days.

Just for peace of mind, I retrieved my old Sky box from the attic, took it out to the caravan in the garden and plugged it in.

Result? My old Sky box does have a 7 day EPG!

(but I still prefer my current "freesat" set up for other reasons).

Thanks for correcting me Woodentop.

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

"freesat" (lower case f) is different from "Freesat from Sky" (free-to-air channels),

Vin Blanc

"freesat" offers a selection (but most) of the available free to air channels.

"Freesat from Sky" offers most of the the free to air channels, and about half a dozen "free to view" (ie encrypted, card needed, but no subscription) channels. Currently the FTV channels are Motors TV, LFCTV, Sony Movies and one other that always escapes me!

The card is a "free to view" card, for a "Freesat from Sky" card. .. but is sometimes incorrectly called a Freesat card, or a Freeview card. .

This is the one that has a one off cost of £20. ...

Edited by satandpcguy

"freesat" offers a selection (but most) of the available free to air channels.

"Freesat from Sky" offers most of the the free to air channels, and about half a dozen "free to view" (ie encrypted, card needed, but no subscription) channels. Currently the FTV channels are Motors TV, LFCTV, Sony Movies and one other that always escapes me!

The card is a "free to view" card, for a "Freesat from Sky" card. .. but is sometimes incorrectly called a Freesat card, or a Freeview card. .

This is the one that has a one off cost of £20. ...

To avoid confusion there is usually a comparison between the Freesat-from-Sky channels and those available on terrestrial Freeview. Whilst there are many extra channels from sat. including travel and God channels, it is often overlooked that some channels that are available on Freeview still require a subscription to view them on the Sky platform.

Freesat is a trademarked 7day EPG consisting of all BBC channels, and all terrestrial commercial channels of your post code plus a few of the FTA channels also in the EPG. FTA are purely all FTA channels you can receive. Freesat from Sky is whatever Sky charge and/or allow you to watch via their boxes. Not all Freeview( terrestrial) channels are available on Freesat but again there are more Freesat channels than Freeview ( I think) :) FTA only has a now or next EPG.

Freesat is a trademarked 7day EPG consisting of all BBC channels, and all terrestrial commercial channels of your post code plus a few of the FTA channels also in the EPG. FTA are purely all FTA channels you can receive. Freesat from Sky is whatever Sky charge and/or allow you to watch via their boxes. Not all Freeview( terrestrial) channels are available on Freesat but again there are more Freesat channels than Freeview ( I think) :) FTA only has a now or next EPG.

I think you should read my comments and those of Vin Blanc above. Freesat-from-Sky has a full 7-day EPG as does Freesat as far as I know.

Sky do not charge for Freesat-from-Sky on their platform as their box will work without a viewing card. All the viewing card does is place the correct regions in the correct places for the registered address of the card.

Despite what others have said my Avtex can't receive FREESAT™ the trade marked registered free to air system that includes the 7 day EGP.

It has a "generic" decoder and can receive many of the same channels, reportedly from the same source, but not to us the valuable 7 day EPG or programme tabulation of Freesat™.

As said the generic decoder has a "now and next" EPG, which to us is near useless and to record further into the future needs knowledge from other sources of the timings of unlisted transmissions; but can be worked around if you know the timings of programmes you want. For this work around you also need to work in UK time if abroad.

Given the cost of my Avtex TV I feel the lack of a Freesat™ licenced decoder is a poor show.

Edited by JTQ

I think you should read my comments and those of Vin Blanc above. Freesat-from-Sky has a full 7-day EPG as does Freesat as far as I know.

Sky do not charge for Freesat-from-Sky on their platform as their box will work without a viewing card. All the viewing card does is place the correct regions in the correct places for the registered address of the card.

I never said freesat from Sky was not a 7 day EPG, however the channel numbers are not identical to Freesat which tend to follow the Freeview for the main channels. What you watch on Sky freesat or their channel numbers I have no idea, however if you pay for a card for certain channel order in a Sky box as a once off charge it just ain't free, though I will admit it is part of the Freesat initial set top box cost.