Driving Hand Signals

Doosan

I was following a very old Morris Minor with a split screen and indicator arms that popped out each side. He was driving very carefully and was using hand signals which I haven't seen being used for years now. This brought back memories of my driving test many, many years ago when hand signals had to be used. Even today hand signals should be used in certain situations like your indicators or your brake lights fail, but how many bother or even know how to do hand signals?

Have a read here.

http://www. drivingtesttips. biz/driving-hand-signals. html

• Like 1

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I think if you stuck your arm out a window to indicate you are turning left, people would think you are telling them to overtake you.

I think if you stuck your arm out a window to indicate you are turning left, people would think you are telling them to overtake you.

In away you are if it is safe to do so as you will be slowing down for the left turn.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Aahh, hand signals. I remember taking my test in a Post Office van with a Post Office examiner back in 1968. I had to use hand signals for the first part of the test and was allowed to use "trafficators" for the second half of the test. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!!

Mike.

• Like 2

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Hand signals are still used. But today it is called "road rage!" :)

I took my test in an Austin 10 in 1962. It was raining and the sunshine roof leaked, so

the examiner moved the seat back, and it came off the runners!..........Before I had done

my emergency brake test!!......................oops! :ph34r:

Edited by gravon42
  • Like 2

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Used to have to be a Octopus using hand signals while pulling away on a hill start .

Dave

• Like 1

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I remember driving a 2CV down from the Malvern Three Counties Showground,

it was raining so hard that water was coming in through the manual vent above

the dash! Then the indicators failed, I had a very wet arm (all that side of me in fact)

by the time we got back to Keynsham.

Guest Benzowner

I think if you stuck your arm out of a window to indicate a left turn, either you are not the driver or you have very long arms :D

I think if you stuck your arm out of a window to indicate a left turn, either you are not the driver or you have very long arms :D

Do you know what the hand signal for turning left is? :rolleyes:

Anyway, what are these indicator things that folk have mentioned? Aren't they a thing of the past? ;)

• Like 3

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

Anyway, what are these indicator things that folk have mentioned? Aren't they a thing of the past? ;)

Many people seem to think so! :rolleyes:

Are they those little arms that magically stick out from the side of the car when you turn a switch?

Mike :blink:

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Are they those little arms that magically stick out from the side of the car when you turn a switch?

Mike :blink:

I once had a car that when you flicked a switch, a little green light blinked on and off in front of me, but it made a tick-tock sound, so I stopped using that switch as the noise sent me to sleep! What it did outside, I haven't got a clue!

I still use hand signals when out on my traction engine. I do like to make eye contact with the other driver before performing anything that might end in tears. You usually get a nod of understanding in most cases.

Although not strictly correct, I get the wife to stick her arm out to turn left whilst I concentrate on driving!

• Like 1

The fact that I remember that these were the latest thing during the 1950's makes me feel very old. :blush:

They may have been the latest thing in the late 20's by the 50's they were flashing as well (if you were lucky) sticking out, the first actual modern indicators seem to have been fitted to the Ford Mk 1 Consul and the Z derivatives, certainly earlier versions of these cars had the semaphore type, they were legalised in 1956 with information on colours and rate of flash. The 1940 Buick was reputed to be the first production car fitted with them. The UK was otherwise engaged with a certain Herr Hitler then, rather than worry about car electrics and their use in indicating direction changes.

There are still hand signals used today, - but you won`t find them in the Highway Code !

Does anyone remember the hand signals given by:

a, reliant 3-wheeler owners 50's onwards. One finger for each time it had turned over. ..I kid you not.

b, Audi ro80 (wankle engine) cars in the '80's? The no. of fingers held up signified the no, of engine replacements!!!!!

Sticking up fingers doesn't have the same meaning today so I'm told LOL.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

Guest Benzowner

It would appear you do not know the arm signal for a left turn.

Probably a young whipper snapper. :)

http://www. drivingte. ..nd-signals. html

It would appear neither of you can see humour

​How about the signal given by the driver of a horse drawn vehicle ? Yep we have one here in north wirral -- often see them on the road & when they signal with the whip . ...................

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Ha! Ha! Oh yes hand signals were all the rage when I started driving, and those funny yellow plastic lit up things that used to flap out when you turned the knob on the dash. Such fun!

Except a boyfriend I had in those days used to love whipping at vast speed through the Warwickshire country lanes near my home and when his plastic things didn't flip up he got me to lean out and operate them manually.

Not an easy task - my Dad would have had a fit if he had known about it - he was a great stickler for anything mechanical being in working order.

Actually I think he would have been more het up at the speed of travel. :o:rolleyes:

T00ts

You've only failed when you've stopped trying! xx

I was signalling right and used the old London taxi hand signal for doing a U turn at a mini roundabout a few months ago and got a very funny look from guy coming the other way until he realised what ie as doing then gave me a thumbs up, well I think it wa his thumb.

​How about the signal given by the driver of a horse drawn vehicle ? Yep we have one here in north wirral -- often see them on the road & when they signal with the whip . ...................

When I were a lad most MPs knew what the whip sign was for lie down you naughty boy. ...

Ha! Ha! Oh yes hand signals were all the rage when I started driving, and those funny yellow plastic lit up things that used to flap out when you turned the knob on the dash. Such fun!

Except a boyfriend I had in those days used to love whipping at vast speed through the Warwickshire country lanes near my home and when his plastic things didn't flip up he got me to lean out and operate them manually.

Not an easy task - my Dad would have had a fit if he had known about it - he was a great stickler for anything mechanical being in working order.

Actually I think he would have been more het up at the speed of travel. :o:rolleyes:

Enough of the whipping already :-)

• Like 2

Adventure before dementia.

Saving for a Caravisio !!

It would appear neither of you can see humour

Oh yes we can; most definitely! :D

I'm still trying to find the instructions for "indicator" in the book, but it's in German! Could it be the section headed "der blinkenundtickentockenlighten"?

Edited by nigel207
  • Like 1

How many remember having to bang the pillar to get the traffikator to work?

I was explaining to one of my Grandsons why car brakes were called anchors. ........when I were a lad. .....

Edited by Motobiman
  • Like 1

Adventure before dementia.

Saving for a Caravisio !!