Lock M Out

Wunny

Saw these on the Motorhome Channel @ NEC.

Better than nothing! They say they only fit the horizontal catches. £7. 50 each.

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=ZrFLmrBGcuw

http://lock-m-out. co. uk/

6. 02 into this: https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=eyr6GT5DEAs#t=328

http://www. motorhomechannel. co. uk/?cid=7&vid=453

Edited by Wunny

I looked at the Lock-m-Out but soon figured out that someone can just lever the window and simply break the black plastic lug on the window catch. Yes, the product does stop the lever being flicked up but doesn't add any strength to the lever.

We've gone down the much cheaper route - with the lever in the closed position, drill a small hole (4-6mm) through the lever and the retainer that's fixed to the frame. Then simply push a split pin or small rod (we used a fire extinguisher handle pin) through to prevent the lever being lifted. Will take a photo sometime to show how easy this mod is.

post-58015-0-21492800-1447592775_thumb.jpg

post-58015-0-01854100-1447592784_thumb.jpg

post-58015-0-77487600-1447592793_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pebble

Not cheap, particularly if you need 12+, as in many vans, and only protects against one type of attack.

But if it gives you peace of mind, go for it!

The strength of a caravan window is so little that it's like putting a pad lock on a paper bag. If it makes you feel safer go for it but all it will achieve is a more damaged van if they want to get in.

Much better would be 5 years without parole for the first offence. If we haven't got enough prisons spaces then they can spend the time building them. Strangely enough I think within a couple of years we would find that they did not need any more spaces.

The strength of a caravan window is so little that it's like putting a pad lock on a paper bag. If it makes you feel safer go for it but all it will achieve is a more damaged van if they want to get in.

Much better would be 5 years without parole for the first offence. If we haven't got enough prisons spaces then they can spend the time building them. Strangely enough I think within a couple of years we would find that they did not need any more spaces.

I fully agree and I also cant understand why when in court why dont the CPS apply for all the costs ie the police wage bill it cost to solve the case any and all damage to be paid for . ...If found guilty a person should pay for everything (if in work 50% of his wages paid monthly until all is paid stopped at source . ..If out of work then 50% of all benefits stooped at source until all paid . ....

Edited by colin4unow

An old Aberdeen police sergeant once told my friend "Locks are only to keep honest fouk out of ". This was after his Tranny was stolen from his locked car.

Edited by blondchaser

An old Aberdeen police sergeant once told my friend "Locks are only to keep honest fouk out of ". This was after his Tranny was stolen from his locked car.

Why did he lock a transvestite in his car in the first place?

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Why did he lock a transvestite in his car in the first place?

John

I thought he had locked a transit van in his car! I want a boot that big.

I can't really see any benefit as they would force open the door causing more damage or maybe even resort to smashing the window out of frustration. In essence the £7. 50 may result in hundreds of ounds damage to your caravan. I would rather them get in easily with minimum damage and the alarm trigger.

I can't really see any benefit as they would force open the door causing more damage or maybe even resort to smashing the window out of frustration. In essence the £7. 50 may result in hundreds of ounds damage to your caravan. I would rather them get in easily with minimum damage and the alarm trigger.

The mindset of these 'people' differs wildly I suspect. When I had my Swift 'stolen' a few years ago, they failed to open the door (ruined the lock and door/frame) so climbed on the roof and smashed the heike to gain entrance. They then smashed the alarm and dragged the van with chain and lorry leaving all four steadies still down ripping out the front floor area and failing to get the van completely out of the storage area due to a hump in the ground! Amounted to about £10k damage - what would they have done with it had they got it out? Mind boggles.

The mindset of these 'people' differs wildly I suspect. When I had my Swift 'stolen' a few years ago, they failed to open the door (ruined the lock and door/frame) so climbed on the roof and smashed the heike to gain entrance. They then smashed the alarm and dragged the van with chain and lorry leaving all four steadies still down ripping out the front floor area and failing to get the van completely out of the storage area due to a hump in the ground! Amounted to about £10k damage - what would they have done with it had they got it out? Mind boggles.

That reminds me. I left my old company Toyota Corolla estate in the pub car park many years ago. The back door was faulty and you could not lock it. In addition, the leaf spring had been replaced with the incorrect one which caused the vehicle to roll a bit more than it should on a right hand bend.

Anyway it was stolen and several miles later rolled it into a muddy ditch going around a right hand bend at high speed. The car was upside down with minimal damage however you could see that they had broken into the car through the rear door window as it was smashed with no glass lying around at the scene of the accident.

Upside as that I got a brand new Toyota Corolla! :D

A complete and utter waste of money for reasons already given.

It never ceases to amaze me when I see people have installed super expensive "fold over" door bars to prevent their caravan/Motorhome doors being opened. This is on vehicles that have plastic Windows that are held closed by a couple of REALLY weedy plastic catches!

Save your money and fit a safe! (To something solid of course) Far more effective at preventing your valuables from being nicked!!

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

A complete and utter waste of money for reasons already given.

It never ceases to amaze me when I see people have installed super expensive "fold over" door bars to prevent their caravan/Motorhome doors being opened. This is on vehicles that have plastic Windows that are held closed by a couple of REALLY weedy plastic catches!

Save your money and fit a safe! (To something solid of course) Far more effective at preventing your valuables from being nicked!!

Andy

Some of the "fold over door bars" are actually fitted as a handrail for the step! Any added security (if any) is a bonus

• 5 years later...

With reference to Pebbles post I have fitted some lock m out devices to my motorhome and I've noted that part of the steel  drops below the part that was suggested that you drill a hole in thus making it stronger I'm not an engineer but I can only assume by drilling a hole in the weak plastic part part that retains the window can only make it weaker thus making it easier to force entry