4 Hrs Working In The Rain, Not Happy,

sampvt

10 Inches in from the side and well clear of any impediments on the roof. That's the measuring done, now all we need to do is drill a 50mm hole for my new status aerial. Drill charged, sink hole drilled and away we go. through the roof no probs then into the aluminium roof covering was getting a little hard so I decided to go up top and drill down. Then I noticed it . ...... drill end full of cables. Why on earth would Bailey run cables so far in from the side and not one but 5 of them. Straight through a loom.

5 hrs later and a lot of grunting in the rain stripping and joining the smallest of cable ends together was a job in itself. I had 2 purple ends and 2 white ends, easy peasey but very little cable to work with as only one end came out more than one inch. The other 3 wires, 6 ends, were all red. 2 ends had writing on and they got put together but then the last 4 ends were all plain red. All I could do was join and hope and as luck would have it, it worked.

All back together and TV working as well but what a nightmare. I was soaked and the most annoying part was the water running down my back, it tickled and nearly caused me to fall of the ladders twice when trying to wriggle out of the tickles.

If I see a bailey sparky I am going to kick him.

Moderator comment:

Bad language and innuendo edited out from this posting in accordance with the forum T&Cs

That's Murphy's law for you! I know it is easy to be wise after the event but the anonymous reds were probably all +ve feeds to different light fittings and, more than likely it did not matter which was connected to which as long as each of the ones pointing one way was connected to one of the ones pointing the other way.

I feel your pain! :)

I bet you were up there thinking "Be done in 15".

Two weeks ago put the van on the winter pitch,brilliant sunshine lovely.

Poured out the new winter awning, worked it all out, ready to attach. ..............but 1 clip missing.

90 minutes later, despite my best swearing still 1 clip missing!!

Fast forward to last weekend, Peeing down but had to get the awning up,

(wanted to test it in the 100mph winds :) ) totally drookit n miserable!!

Can someone let me know when the fun part of this caravanning malarkey starts!!

Edited by thesecretcaravanner

. ..the anonymous reds were probably all +ve feeds to different light fittings and, more than likely it did not matter which was connected to which as long as each of the ones pointing one way was connected to one of the ones pointing the other way.

. ..and they all had the same fuse rating, but worth checking that if fused individually that the legends do tie up with their correct function at the fuse board.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

. ..and they all had the same fuse rating, but worth checking that if fused individually that the legends do tie up with their correct function at the fuse board.

Quandry:

If they are wrong, does he go back up and splice in new bits of wire to put it all right. ...or re label the fuses?

I know which I would do!

Quandry:

If they are wrong, does he go back up and splice in new bits of wire to put it all right. ...or re label the fuses?

I know which I would do!

Chances are, they all come from one fuse labeled "interior lights".

So no safe zones with caravans then! What we do to watch TV. When I started reading I thought it was going to be a special aerial something you could talk around the world with? 5 inches for TV could get a hydraulic one like used with the BBC mobile units in 5 inches.

Do feel sorry for you. Not what you expect to find in a roof.

Edited by ericmark