Which Mover?

riding75

We have an elddis avante 524 single axle van (2003) and wanted to add a mover to help us store on our driveway. when stored we wouldnt be able to access one side of the van so think i need an automatic version?

so our question is what would people recommend for a mid ranged price mover.

any suggestions greatly appreciated

many thanks Matt

My enduro movers are connected by a bar under the van, so when you wind one side on the other side do,es the same.

I think most are like this.

When selecting a mover consideration should also be given to the positioning of the isolator switch. If it can be positioned on the A-frame it would not much matter which side of the caravan became inaccessible when in stored position as eastcoaster above has said the rollers can be wound on from either side.

Another matter which should be considered is whether or not the battery is able to be kept topped up when in storage.

Edited by DeeTee

One side of my van is inaccessible when in its parking place at home.

The mover is a manual one with cross actuation, so both rollers can be engaged from one side.

I will not entertain one with electronic engagement because if the system fails, I would have no means of getting the rollers on or off (depending whether it failed in the engaged or unengaged position).

Some people have said that this situation wouldn't be a problem because the automatic engagers can be disengaged by lifting the front of the van on the jockey wheel and accessing the front of the motors.

However, this wouldn't work for me because I can't lift the front of the van without moving it forward by about 3 or 4 feet as the rear end rides over a step which cannot be removed.

So, if you are thinking of an automatic mover, think firstly whether you could disengage the rollers if it failed!

The side that is inaccessible is the one where the battery box is, so the isolater switch is under the front bunk, by the electronic box.

Edited by hp100425ev

I am in exactly the same position as previous post so would not entertain auto engage. I you want a mover with good back up service go for Powrtouch

My enduro movers are connected by a bar under the van, so when you wind one side on the other side do,es the same.

I think most are like this.

Cross actuation is not standard. Many are but not all - you need to check!

John. :)

We had a similar situation - van right up against a wall so only accessible from one side. I chose a PowrTouch with cross actuation due to the possible problems of an actuator motor failure and I'm a bit too robust to crawl under the van to try and release it.

As said, make sure that the isolating switch is still accessible when the van is parked up so don't put it in the battery-box if that's the side where the wall is.

Parking close to a wall, preventing access to the mover on one side is always going to present a risk, even cross actuation can fail.

The lowest risk is probably manual cross actuation, which brand is debatable, but keeping it well serviced is most definately worthwhile.

One side of my van is inaccessible when in its parking place at home.

The mover is a manual one with cross actuation, so both rollers can be engaged from one side.

I will not entertain one with electronic engagement because if the system fails, I would have no means of getting the rollers on or off (depending whether it failed in the engaged or unengaged position).

Some people have said that this situation wouldn't be a problem because the automatic engagers can be disengaged by lifting the front of the van on the jockey wheel and accessing the front of the motors.

However, this wouldn't work for me because I can't lift the front of the van without moving it forward by about 3 or 4 feet as the rear end rides over a step which cannot be removed.

So, if you are thinking of an automatic mover, think firstly whether you could disengage the rollers if it failed!

The side that is inaccessible is the one where the battery box is, so the isolater switch is under the front bunk, by the electronic box.

Mine has a 13mm nut to permit disengagement were the unit to fail. I would have thought all models must have something similar?

Mine has a 13mm nut to permit disengagement were the unit to fail. I would have thought all models must have something similar?

Are you referring to an automatic mover?

If so, I presume there would be a nut on each side.

That's the problem when only one side is accessible.

The powertouch automatic can be deactivated manually in an emergency without access from the side but it would still need someone to crawl right underneath!

If you are really worried, the inaccessible wheel can be parked on a piece of thin plywood or aluminium to act as a skid enabling the van to be pulled out by force if the mover locks on.

The powertouch automatic can be deactivated manually in an emergency without access from the side but it would still need someone to crawl right underneath!

If you are really worried, the inaccessible wheel can be parked on a piece of thin plywood or aluminium to act as a skid enabling the van to be pulled out by force if the mover locks on.

Wouldn't work for me because I can't get the car in front of the van to hitch it up ( would never be able to "skid" it manually), and even if I could hitch it up, I don't think I would want to risk pulling it out like that.

Hi

If you want any info just let us know, We and most have offers at the moment so its a good time to buy!

Thanks

John

• 1 month later...

In reply to the original question of which mover. I have just bought a Reich easydriver basic 18 from Catterick Caravans for £599 and my aim is to fit it myself in the spring. I have already moved the spare wheel carrier this weekend. On inspecting the Reich was very impressed with the build quality and simplicity of the mover. delivery was included in the price and very efficient .

• 2 weeks later...

Endoshot can I ask why have you moved spare wheel carrier. On my van it is still in place. Also have jacking points on as well and put shockers on. Chassis is made to take all these things