What Would You Want From A Caravan Programme?

Jon321

Seeing the thread on a new upcoming caravan TV programme (and the critique of this and other caravan programmes generally) got me thinking about what caravaners would want from a TV programme.

So, let's say you could design your own TV programme about caravanning, what would make it appealing to you?

*New caravan / motorhome reviews?

*Used caravan / motorhome reviews or features?

*Tow car reviews?

* Newbie features on electrics, water, gas, towing etc?

*Advanced features on electrics, water, gas etc?

*Caravan site reviews in the UK?

*Caravan site reviews abroad?

*Location features, ie interesting places to visit?

*Community based features, ie rallies, club events?

*Caravan gadgets, kit, equipment?

*Caravan shows?

Or something else perhaps?

Would like to see a youngish couple, with children reviewing campsite's and places to go. Or just a couple reviewing middle aged, not fussed. All of the above is good Jon321, not bothered about statics or glamping or log cabins. ...

Buying a caravan would be useful, some bod, walking round various makes pointing out the pitfalls

Unfortunately there is never going to be a really accurate review of a caravan as if they are too honest the manufacturers won't let them access to the vans to review in future. Chris Gosling, the chap who started the Caravan Channel show, never ever said a bad word about the van he was looking at, so the ones now who occasionally made a slightly adverse comment are an improvement in that sense.

Because we are all with different interests and our only link is caravanning we are going to want different things from the programme and therefore large chunks of the viewers aren't going to want some of the things the OP suggested. On a personal level at least four of the suggestions would have no interest for us. Others would have a completely different four so the programme makers can never please everyone.

We record them so when we watch we can zip through the bits that don't interest us.

A visit to a Caravan manufacturer to see how the caravans are made.

That's a good one, I'd watch THAT !!!

It would just end up as a video version of one of the current caravan magazines!

I don't "do" magazines . . .

Could we get J Clarkson to present it :D:D Nos

Haha. Actually a key presenter can certainly make a programme for me, although perhaps not JC but someone else who is interesting and a 'charactor'.

The original Caravan Channel started by Chris Gosling did do factory visits and from memory they were Swift, Bailey, Elddis and Coachman. Don't know if they are still available on video somewhere but if there is the interest I'm sure that they need updating.

Bill

Yes a Top Gear type approach, review the vans, if they are negative so be it.

The programme seem a bit ' Home Video In Quality ' similar to the Boating and other hobby ones.

Get professional presenters to front the programme and get a proper TV Company

to produce it with good background music if needed.

How about a Top Gear Style Caravan Program. ....(No not J Clarkson to present it) but the same format. It could have its own style of the stig maybe called the old gits (get it . ..gits an anagram of stig) you could have a sort of cool wall called the drool wall. plus lots of comedy along with serious stuff to make caravaning cool . ..If you need a presenter . ..im hear and cheep. ..

Colin

I hardly watch TV. No good to me.

Hi Mr Easy T . ..I can only amuse because you hardly watch TV its because it has no interest to you. ... but surly if the TV program was about something you did have an interest in ie caravans then maybe just maybe its worth a watch . ...

Colin

Caravan Channel still broadcast: it's on Freesat Channel 402/Sky 261 most evenings (start times vary from 1700 to 2000 hours). I used to be able to set my Freesat box to record the series, but for some reason can no longer do this with the Caravan Channel broadcasts.

Martin Roberts, of Homes under the Hammer, would make a good presenter as he is in to caravans!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Hi Mr Easy T . ..I can only amuse because you hardly watch TV its because it has no interest to you. ... but surly if the TV program was about something you did have an interest in ie caravans then maybe just maybe its worth a watch . ...

Colin

Not really Colin. I Have never been a fan of TV. When I lived on my own I would only pay for a license between end of October and start of April. We are away in the caravan for 17 weeks of the year and typically only watch TV for around 4 hours during Christmas and Boxing period. At home I usually sit in front of TV with other half for half an hour after evening meal from around 7pm to 7. 30pm. I rarely get asked to choose what to watch as I prefer a blank screen. I don't seem to have the patience

oh come on,Martin Roberts could bore for England. He has the personality of a brick. :P:P:(

Not really Colin. I Have never been a fan of TV. When I lived on my own I would only pay for a license between end of October and start of April. We are away in the caravan for 17 weeks of the year and typically only watch TV for around 4 hours during Christmas and Boxing period. At home I usually sit in front of TV with other half for half an hour after evening meal from around 7pm to 7. 30pm. I rarely get asked to choose what to watch as I prefer a blank screen. I don't seem to have the patience

Think a lot of us do this!!

Interesting point regarding caravan reviews and how glowing they always seem to be on the Caravan Channel.

On the rare occasion that there is a criticism, it is so diluted it hardly holds any weight, such is there penchant for every new van they look at.

I can't help but laugh at the number of times an area, or bed, or washroom is described as generous or a good sized space. Without fail, every caravan seems to be a tardis inside to that programme.

Caravan Channel still broadcast: it's on Freesat Channel 402/Sky 261 most evenings (start times vary from 1700 to 2000 hours). I used to be able to set my Freesat box to record the series, but for some reason can no longer do this with the Caravan Channel broadcasts.

Didn't realize that it was still on. I used to do the same but thought it had stopped broadcasting when it didn't record.

Seeing the thread on a new upcoming caravan TV programme (and the critique of this and other caravan programmes generally) got me thinking about what caravaners would want from a TV programme.

So, let's say you could design your own TV programme about caravanning, what would make it appealing to you?

*New caravan / motorhome reviews?

*Used caravan / motorhome reviews or features?

*Tow car reviews?

* Newbie features on electrics, water, gas, towing etc?

*Advanced features on electrics, water, gas etc?

*Caravan site reviews in the UK?

*Caravan site reviews abroad?

*Location features, ie interesting places to visit?

*Community based features, ie rallies, club events?

*Caravan gadgets, kit, equipment?

*Caravan shows?

Or something else perhaps?

I think you have pretty much nailed what a good programme needs.

With a good presenter and produced by a professional company I think it could be just what is needed.

Dave

That's a good one, I'd watch THAT !!!

Hi to both of you. Elddis have an open weekend every year and it is an actual tour of the factory and a preview weekend of the new season models.

It is usually held towards the end of September and can be a very worthwhile and educational visit .

It is often promoted through the Caravan Times website but can be searched for on Good Old Google.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.