Lost Key For Al-Ko Hitch Lock

Hi

Anyone suggest how I would go about replacing a key for my Al-Ko hitch lock? When I got the van it only came with one key and now it's lost! The issue is the lock is on the caravan Doh!

Thanks for any replies

Bart

Hi

Anyone suggest how I would go about replacing a key for my Al-Ko hitch lock? When I got the van it only came with one key and now it's lost! The issue is the lock is on the caravan Doh!

Thanks for any replies

Bart

Hi GLG. How long have you had the caravan for ?

My guess is that it will need a locksmith to visit with his MAGIC KEY to remove the lock and then to cut you a duplicate.

NOT CHEAP !!!!!!!!!!!!

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

I know it's a bit late now but I have all the key numbers written down in my service book.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I was informed by ALKO that replacement keys for the hitch lock were easily purchased from them so shouldn't be a problem.

Alan

Hi joanie. I don't know whether this was posted for General Information BUT I do believe that it is the Hitch-head lock that is being referred to and not the wheel locks.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi thanks for the replies! The problem appears to be that the lock has never been registered with Alko so as a result I think I need to go down the locksmith route! Alternatively carry on turning the house upside down, blaming the children or even better the dog!

Hi joanie. I don't know whether this was posted for General Information BUT I do believe that it is the Hitch-head lock that is being referred to and not the wheel locks.

I googled the OP header and found key replacement - al-ko secure. I know it's about the wheel lock but it also says about replacement key or the registration card if he has one, or if the last owner has one. . It then goes on to point out that if an engineer is required, what to do and there is also contact details. Just thought it may help.

To the best of my knowledge the advice ref engineer and replacement keys etc still only refers to the (registered) WHEEL lock and its ONLY the wheel lock that you can register.

I had a duplicate key cut for my hitch lock from the original, which DOESNT have any serial number on it so I doubt if Alko will be able to supply a duplicate, without a pattern to clone I suspect you are, as the saying goes, Stuffed !!!

As a matter of habit my hitchlock key is kept on the car key ring. My theory being that if I need the hitchlock key I will either be putting the caravan onto, or taking it off, the towball of the towcar so I will always have it to hand. I also have a spare secreted on the caravan "just in case"

(I lock my caravan onto the towball every time as thats when its at its most vulnerable to getting nicked)

If you look at how the hitchlock operates then unless you can drill the centre of the locking mechanism out in order to release the locking bolt the ONLY way to get it off is to totally destroy the hitch lock as it all locks around a substantial casting built into the towing hitch itself !!!

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

There are plenty on eBay for under £50 so go with flashgordon, drill it out and get a replacement. Cheaper than getting an engineer along. I confirm that mine does not have a key number and was never registered with Alko. Just bought and fitted.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

One way is to drill out the lock, noisy and time consuming but cheaper than a locksmith!

Not certain how you can drill it out as when in the locked position it just rotates & I believe it's made from a very hard metal.

Not certain how you can drill it out as when in the locked position it just rotates & I believe it's made from a very hard metal.

Clearly not not the design of lock I was thinking of. Sorry.

Clearly not not the design of lock I was thinking of. Sorry.

I've misread this! Apologies, was thinking of the wheel lock.

You will not be able to drill out an Al Ko wheel lock, it is hardened steel and it will spin in the hole, also even if you could stop it from spinning you would still need a special drill bit and a good amount of knowledge to do the job without damaging the lozenge.

Better to "wreck" the lozenge carefully and buy another complete unit.

Best of luck. ........Peter

You also have misread the post, the OP is talking about a HITCH lock, - the lozenge you refer to is part

of the WHEEL lock!

From what I can see with the hitch lock I have it can probably be crowbarred off, but that would obviously destroy it.

By the looks of my HITCH (NOT WHEEL) lock it might be possible to drill the lock barrel out as it appears to be made of brass or similar.

Either way I suspect, after your "attention", that you are going to be looking for a replacement. As has been said they are on EBay, that's where I got mine from BUT I got a second key BEFORE fitting it (local shop cut a new one in a few minutes for about a fiver so the blanks are certainly available)

Andy

I also have a spare secreted on the caravan "just in case"

(I lock my caravan onto the towball every time as thats when its at its most vulnerable to getting nicked)

Andy

I understood that the advice was NOT to lock the car to the caravan, as this makes life very difficult for the Emergency Services if the van is in accident and perhaps overturned for example? Fine to lock it on temporarily in motorway services, but that's all

Thread drift is about to go into overdrive!!!!

I understood that the advice was NOT to lock the car to the caravan, as this makes life very difficult for the Emergency Services if the van is in accident and perhaps overturned for example? Fine to lock it on temporarily in motorway services, but that's all

Mike :blink::blink::blink:

Sorry for misreading the o. p. when it was mentioned about not being registered with Al Ko I naturally presumed it was the wheel lock. As others have said, the hitch lock is NOT registered and therefore it would be better to cut it off and buy new.

Of course you do know that shortly after doing all that the key will turn up in a drawer or someone's pocket? Sod's law applies. ....Peter

As an ex emergency service operative (traffic cop) with 30 years experience I have never heard of any advice such as not to lock your caravan onto your towbar.

Having dealt with a large number of incidents over many many years I have NEVER been in a position where there has ever been a need to detach any form of trailer from any form of towing vehicle in any hurry at all. In fact if a caravan has "fallen over" it nearly always lifts the rear of the towing vehicle off the ground. At that point it is simply not possible to SAFELY detach the trailer, it needs to be righted before making any attempt. In fact there is usually such a load on the towhitch/ball as to make it impossible to seperate the two until righted anyway. At which point it can still be a very difficult procedure. Step forward Fire and Rescue Service please as they have the right kit to do it safely.

I suspect that this "Advice" (not locking your caravan to your towcar) is yet another urban myth. The same one that says if you knock a pheasant/deer over you are not allowed to pick it up but the following driver is. (Total and utter balderdash)

I would be most grateful for someone to guide me to where such advice has been OFFICIALLY issued.

I am more than happy to be proven wrong, I would just like some proof that this IS actually advice that has been issued by some form of expert on the matter, rather than it being another urban myth. Until then my 15K's worth of caravan will remain securely locked onto my towball.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd