Reg Number Obscured In Car Adverts

jetA1

There is now much information available on line regarding the history any car registered with the DVLA, I think this is a good thing expecially when it comes to buying a second hand car. The MOT history which includes details of all passes and fails plus the history of mileages could be of particular interest whan deciding whether or not to add a car to a short list for viewing.

Looking at on-line adverts I've noticed that some dealers obscure some or all of the number plate thus making it impossible to carryout these checks yourself. Maybe its something and nothing but that makes me rather suspicous of the dealers motive for doing this. I rang a dealer recently about a car I was interested in and asked what the full reg was, he refused to give it, that was a short conversation.

Can anyone think of a good reason why a genuine dealer should wish to hide the reg number?

Easy. To stop the number plate being cloned and used on another vehicle.

The biggest hurdle for any car dealer (honest or not) is to get you on the premises actually looking at the cars. If they can get you, or SHMBO, to actually sit in the car and fall in love with it before finding out the details they are half way to a sale.

The biggest hurdle for any car dealer (honest or not) is to get you on the premises actually looking at the cars. If they can get you, or SHMBO, to actually sit in the car and fall in love with it before finding out the details they are half way to a sale.

I understand what you say but that method would never work with an old cynic like me . ..

Hiding number plates is more likely to put people off visiting. IMHO.

I understand what you say but that method would never work with an old cynic like me . ..

Me to.

Easy. To stop the number plate being cloned and used on another vehicle.

Surely finding a number plate to clone is a very easy job. Just stand on any street corner.

++++++

I better understand why a private seller may want to hide their number, (I wouldn't bother). But dealer? Though not seen that personally.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I find that it is quicker to go on eBay to find a numberplate to clone rather than stand at a roundabout in the cold and wet.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Just as an aside, I was watching Foyle's war and decided to put into the DVLA website, the reg of the Wolsley Sam was driving. Turns out it was registered in 1946. :)

I do that quite often with TV cars! . ...........more interesting than the boring programme! :)

If your buying a used car, or having a look, most adverts have number plates and mileage, just type them into "we buy any car" gives you a fair idea what they paid for it.

We bought a 1 series bmw for HID from Motordepot,they have an on-line "value your car", again, type in the car details of the car that they're selling, gives you good idea what they paid for it.

I can't see the point of dealers hiding the reg. and like the OP it makes me wonder if there's something they want to hide. Some dealers do the exact opposite and the reg. no is emblazoned across the top of the spec. page.

Another similar thing that annoys me are house ads without the address. Agents will provide the road name, of course, but not the house number or name. For goodness sake you can drive down the road and spot the number etc if you want, or phone the agent to find out, so why not put it in the ad. Some do and they'd be the agents I'd use if I was selling.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Hiding number plates is more likely to put people off visiting. IMHO.

Me to.

Surely finding a number plate to clone is a very easy job. Just stand on any street corner.

++++++

I better understand why a private seller may want to hide their number, (I wouldn't bother). But dealer? Though not seen that personally.

John

If you want to clone a number plate, you need the same make, model and colour of car - how long would you have to wait on a street corner for that to happen?. Easier to look on ebay or autotrader for matching specific model.

Whenever I have sold a car, I always block out part of the reg, just leaving the year showing. Interestingly, when we sold the wife's car a few months ago, I had several calls from "interested parties" who wanted the full reg number so they could "check out the insurance". Needless to say, the information was not given out.

Many dealers blank the plates because it is not a photo of the car for sale, just a similar model, they then don't have to photo every car that comes in for sale, just as the description is from a brochure

If you want to clone a number plate, you need the same make, model and colour of car - how long would you have to wait on a street corner for that to happen?. Easier to look on ebay or autotrader for matching specific model.

Whenever I have sold a car, I always block out part of the reg, just leaving the year showing. Interestingly, when we sold the wife's car a few months ago, I had several calls from "interested parties" who wanted the full reg number so they could "check out the insurance". Needless to say, the information was not given out.

The registration number is only asked for by the insurance company so as to check against the national data base that it is not a write-off or reported stolen or one of the many other bits of detail that they check on.

I have made tentative enquires many times as to the cost involved in running various cars,insurance often being the greatest single expenditure after service and tyres.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Just to be clear, when I said above that you just need to stand on a street corner too get a reg number. My meaning was it is very very easy, EBay and Autotrader etc. will keep you dry.

If people choose to clone a number of mine that's their problem. If I get a knock on the door from the police or parking fine through the post, my paperwork of ownership will cover me.

I drive around all day with said number exposed, if I sold it tomorrow, private or dealer, I would have no control over who saw it. Personally I don't think it's has any importance to hide it. As the OP says, when buying, it only makes me suspicious when people do so.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Just to be clear, when I said above that you just need to stand on a street corner too get a reg number. My meaning was it is very very easy, EBay and Autotrader etc. will keep you dry.

If people choose to clone a number of mine that's their problem. If I get a knock on the door from the police or parking fine through the post, my paperwork of ownership will cover me.

I drive around all day with said number exposed, if I sold it tomorrow, private or dealer, I would have no control over who saw it. Personally I don't think it's has any importance to hide it. As the OP says, when buying, it only makes me suspicious when people do so.

John

If someone cloned your reg number, your paperwork of ownership would not help - this would show that you drive a Peugeot 4007, reg number ******* and colour, say, blue. If someone has cloned your car, that would also be a blue Peugeot 4007 with the same reg as yours. They may have been through a speed camera, collected parking fines, driven it without tax or insurance or committed other crime using that vehicle. You would have to prove that it was not you.

If a criminal wants to use a car they have probably stolen for other criminal activity, they need to "hide" the car's identity by cloning. Why make it easier for them to search for a specific make and model by leaving the eg number on display all over the internet - the easiest place to find one. Yes, they could just look out for one on the street or on a dealer's forecourt but they would probably have to do quite a lot of looking - how many Peugeot 4007s do you see on the road ?

When I see car's advertised for sale with the reg numbers obscured, it gives me confidence that the seller has some common sense.

Incidentally, I have seen several cars being transported recently with tape over part of the reg so it's not just on the internet that people are being careful.

The registration number is only asked for by the insurance company so as to check against the national data base that it is not a write-off or reported stolen or one of the many other bits of detail that they check on.

I have made tentative enquires many times as to the cost involved in running various cars,insurance often being the greatest single expenditure after service and tyres.

Exactly, so why would someone need it just to get a quote? Hence, I did not give out the info.

Right thats it, Im going to immediately cover up my car number and remove the number from the house. That,ll fox all those nasty people out there. :unsure: but joking apart, it is possible to be just a little bit too paranoid ?

Incidentally, I have seen several cars being transported recently with tape over part of the reg so it's not just on the internet that people are being careful.

These are probably accident damaged cars being taken to storage on behalf of insurers most of whom require that the number plates are obscured as these cars will be off the road and are ideal for cloning.

These are probably accident damaged cars being taken to storage on behalf of insurers most of whom require that the number plates are obscured as these cars will be off the road and are ideal for cloning.

More than likely it is to stop owners being chased by no win no pay accident companies :o

John

Bear in mind that most speed cameras are fully automated these days, as are the cameras in London. It's unlikely that you'd get a knock on the door. You're more likely to get a host of brown envelopes with fines in them. It's then up to you to appeal them against the relevant authorities, which can be less easy than wading through treacle. You will need to prove that you were not in that area on that day.

I've friends whose plates have been cloned, and have received fines they had to appeal. They live many miles away from where the offences took place, and it's taken them ages to sort. One even had his car re-registered as he was sick of the letters from Transport for London.

But if you enjoy spending hours and hours, and a lot of money on postage, to prove innocence, then fair enough.

More than likely it is to stop owners being chased by no win no pay accident companies :o

It doesn't work - the insurers sell the details on - I'm still get phone calls over an accident nearly 6 years ago, long since settled including all the personal injury compensation.

The reality is that most car adverts are from dealers and most of those show the number plate - so I doubt there's any security or cloning issue - that isn't already present anyway.

If your buying a used car, or having a look, most adverts have number plates and mileage, just type them into "we buy any car" gives you a fair idea what they paid for it.

We bought a 1 series bmw for HID from Motordepot,they have an on-line "value your car", again, type in the car details of the car that they're selling, gives you good idea what they paid for it.

What does that teach you?

If someone cloned your reg number, your paperwork of ownership would not help - this would show that you drive a Peugeot 4007, reg number ******* and colour, say, blue. If someone has cloned your car, that would also be a blue Peugeot 4007 with the same reg as yours. They may have been through a speed camera, collected parking fines, driven it without tax or insurance or committed other crime using that vehicle. You would have to prove that it was not you.

If a criminal wants to use a car they have probably stolen for other criminal activity, they need to "hide" the car's identity by cloning. Why make it easier for them to search for a specific make and model by leaving the eg number on display all over the internet - the easiest place to find one. Yes, they could just look out for one on the street or on a dealer's forecourt but they would probably have to do quite a lot of looking - how many Peugeot 4007s do you see on the road ?

When I see car's advertised for sale with the reg numbers obscured, it gives me confidence that the seller has some common sense.

Exactly, so why would someone need it just to get a quote? Hence, I did not give out the info.

Bear in mind that most speed cameras are fully automated these days, as are the cameras in London. It's unlikely that you'd get a knock on the door. You're more likely to get a host of brown envelopes with fines in them. It's then up to you to appeal them against the relevant authorities, which can be less easy than wading through treacle. You will need to prove that you were not in that area on that day.

I've friends whose plates have been cloned, and have received fines they had to appeal. They live many miles away from where the offences took place, and it's taken them ages to sort. One even had his car re-registered as he was sick of the letters from Transport for London.

But if you enjoy spending hours and hours, and a lot of money on postage, to prove innocence, then fair enough.

Lots of logic in all the above, cant fault most of it. still could not live my life in a state of paranioa.

John