Caravan Change Cycle?

Davros18

What is the average change cycle for caravan ownership?

I have had my Elddis Crusader for almost 3 years and I am looking to change it, mainly because my eldest has outgrown his bunk but also part of me just thinks "its time"!

Incidentally I thought I had a deal done at the weekend on a new Buccaneer but the dealer made a mistake with the offer so unfortunately it didn't happen (hopefully it will soon with a different dealer).

This slight delay got me wondering, is 3 years of ownership about average, if it wasn't for the bunk issue I would probably keep mine longer.

Davros

Edited by Davros18

I don't think there is an "average" time to change a caravan. I have just changed mine after 8 years. I

read an article once where one person had 20 caravans in 19 years!! I suppose circumstances dictate

changes.

We are just changing ours after 6 seasons of use, would have done it last year as the eldest has really outgrown the bunks but nothing took our fancy.

Mike

We have decided on a three year rolling programme for both the caravan and the Freelander2. So in 18 months a new Caravan, and 30 months time a newer Land Rover.

That means all will still be under full warranties until we upgrade!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Some people have to have the latest, even if it is another Series 3 Unicorn where the only difference is the model name decal moved from beside the top of a window to beside the bottom of a window.

Other love to have them 'til they rot around them.

Others have a phobia about warranties and will change when it's about to run out.

And then there's all points in between

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

We wear ours out! If we keep it beyond three years we will need to buy new Front lounge cushions as they get very soft! We do use it for around 190 nights a year so hardly surprising!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Don't I recall a post from way back when a dealer told someone that the industry worked on a van being used for an average of 20 nights a year! On that basis PR your van gets 7. 5 years of wear in a 12 month.

Don't I recall a post from way back when a dealer told someone that the industry worked on a van being used for an average of 20 nights a year! On that basis PR your van gets 7. 5 years of wear in a 12 month.

If they work it out on that basis, no wonder they fall apart with very little use. :rolleyes:

They should last a lifetime if they think they're only used for that length of time each year, which goes to show that the way they are constructed is worse than we thought. :o

I like that! Last year it was circa 190 nights, and this year we are over 160 nights with at least two more trips booked!

I am not leaving an expensive asset just sitting around unused!

Anybody who only uses their caravan for less than 50 nights a year should decide to stay in a hotel instead! It would work out far cheaper per night!

I like that! Last year it was circa 190 nights, and this year we are over 160 nights with at least two more trips booked!

I am not leaving an expensive asset just sitting around unused!

Anybody who only uses their caravan for less than 50 nights a year should decide to stay in a hotel instead! It would work out far cheaper per night!

But if you are away 190 nights a year, then you are leaving the likely most expensive asset you have unused - your house. ;)

We use our van around 80 - 90 nights a year - when I am working away from home. Cheaper than a hotel and I know it's clean!! And the dogs can come as well so saves on kennel fees.

But if you are away 190 nights a year, then you are leaving the likely most expensive asset you have unused - your house. ;)

We use our van around 80 - 90 nights a year - when I am working away from home. Cheaper than a hotel and I know it's clean!! And the dogs can come as well so saves on kennel fees.

Zoe has to have somewhere to live, and ahe looks after it very well!

We change ours every five years but there again as above poster ours probably gets more wear than average as we aim to be away about 120 nights a year.

We just changed ours, mainly because it had slight water ingress, otherwise it would have stayed

There's a chap on here, I'm sure he's had three vans in the three years I've been a member

Eriba, lunar, bailey peg. ... ;)

There's a chap on here, I'm sure he's had three vans in the three years I've been a member

Eriba, lunar, bailey peg. ... ;)

Yep, banged to rights guv'nor.

Three years back from today fetches Nov 2012

We had an Eriba 'til May 2013

Then a Lunar for two years May 2013 'til May 2015 (73 nights away)

And we've had the Peg. since May 2015 (63 night away so far).

I think thats common when you start vanning, or homing, we did the same. We have found a medium which were happy with. The last 3 vans have also got smaller.

We started caravanning in 1976 with a tiny van we bought from someone we knew. They had used it for one weekend and decided caravanning was not for them.

Since then we have bought only new caravans and, until 2001 we kept them for between 18 months and three years.

After 2001 (we were retired by that time) we have kept our caravans for five years.

We had tents for years then in March 2012 we purchased a 2005 Pennine Sterling Folding Camper, in August 2012 we purchased a 2005 Lunar Quasar 462 and part ex'd the Pennine. In April 2014 we purchased a 2011 Lunar Quasar 524 as the 2005 Lunar was riddled with damp. We love our current van but got tempted by an end of season bargain on a brand new 2015 Swift Challenger 530SE which we plan on keeping a lot longer this time.

For many people it's the cycle of renewal in the caravan industry that dictates change. We would like to change a couple of features on our 2012 caravan but the renditions from the main players haven't fixed theses issues in the design. ..yet. At least, when they fix one, they introduce another issue. The net effect is we aren't going to change for another year.

For many people it's the cycle of renewal in the caravan industry that dictates change. We would like to change a couple of features on our 2012 caravan but the renditions from the main players haven't fixed theses issues in the design. ..yet. At least, when they fix one, they introduce another issue. The net effect is we aren't going to change for another year.

Tell us the features that you need changing Eric and the manufacturers may take notice.

Four or so years ago, possibly when the NCC started to run the caravan shows at the NEC, one dealer was shown on a video promoting the new shows and famously claimed that their "average/typical caravan buyer" changed caravans every two years.

If that can be achieved a dealer would have a ready supply of two year old pre-owned stock on which they can sell finance services. Almost a virtuous circle. :rolleyes:

I seem to remember that I may have posted a link to the video on Caravan Talk at the time as I found the dealer's claim quite extraordinary though quite plausible.

Edited by DeeTee

Our van was 3 years old when we bought it over 5 years ago now.

It gets used about 28 nights a year at the moment. Hopefully more often in the future as our work circumstances change, but it will be what it will be.

We choose to use our caravan even though we could stay in hotels I suppose, however last time away there were 6 of us. But I like the caravan and waking up in the middle of nowhere.

I aim to change around every three years. Average nights' usage per year 300. Well we want to get our moneys worth for the pitch fees,

Regards,

Ian.