Cris Vin Chip Pack

bigbilly

Has anybody ordered and fitted the new CRiS Chip pack for pre 2016 caravans ?

Any comments ?

Bill

Hi Bill,

I have, arrived yesterday, but I've not fitted anything yet.

Regards

Kevin

Has anybody ordered and fitted the new CRiS Chip pack for pre 2016 caravans ?

Any comments ?

Bill

Hi Bill. Are you talking about the pack that was originally marketed as a CRiS Xtra additional security feature ?

It contained a "WARNING" sticker and Post-coded Micro dots to paint onto everything that was moveable/nick-able and some were advised to be put into a discrete position in/on the caravan/motorhome so as to "Assist" the police if your stolen caravan/motorhome was ever recovered.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi Bill. Are you talking about the pack that was originally marketed as a CRiS Xtra additional security feature ?

It contained a "WARNING" sticker and Post-coded Micro dots to paint onto everything that was moveable/nick-able and some were advised to be put into a discrete position in/on the caravan/motorhome so as to "Assist" the police if your stolen caravan/motorhome was ever recovered.

The CRiS identifiers have been upgraded for all 2016 caravans and CRiS are offering an upgrade kit for £24. 99 for pre 2016 caravans and just wondered what the experiences of CT members was in fitting them or is it just not worth it.

Bill

Hi again Bill. After I fell for the hype surrounding the CRiS Xtra pack a few years ago I discovered that it only actually marks removable items that one might wish to identify in the case of your caravan being stolen and stripped of usable items that might become conversion goodies for a motorhome and or van conversion.

It actually does not help in the physical tracking of the caravan - but ask yourself;would you really really want it back after it had been nicked by some of the more commonly identified thieves of caravans ?

I had actually put the Micro Dot markers in a descrete position in/on the caravan where if it was stolen and stripped it could still be identified as my caravan body/chassis - unless the floor had been removed to make a lightweight twin axle car/motorcycle trailer.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi again Bill. After I fell for the hype surrounding the CRiS Xtra pack a few years ago I discovered that it only actually marks removable items that one might wish to identify in the case of your caravan being stolen and stripped of usable items that might become conversion goodies for a motorhome and or van conversion.

It actually does not help in the physical tracking of the caravan - but ask yourself;would you really really want it back after it had been nicked by some of the more commonly identified thieves of caravans ?

I had actually put the Micro Dot markers in a descrete position in/on the caravan where if it was stolen and stripped it could still be identified as my caravan body/chassis - unless the floor had been removed to make a lightweight twin axle car/motorcycle trailer.

The 'new' CRiS pack is an RFID chip and detectable by scanner. It comes on a sticky tape, is very discrete and can be placed almost anywhere that you can get your fingers.

I too ordered one at the NEC, not arrived yet but as mentioned by Tandem Man, they did say 28 days so hopefully sometime next week.

The new chip police can check the identity without even stopping the caravan . They have scan guns that can use by just driving past a caravan on the road.

When fitted how do owners know the chip is working after it is fitted ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

When fitted how do owners know the chip is working after it is fitted ?

Dave

Dave. Made me think of the old joke about how do you know that the light goes out when you shut the fridge door !!

Bill

And you think that the Police are going to simply scan everywhere over EVERY caravan on the off chance they will find a microdot AND identify a stolen caravan????

Get real, these chips are totally passive (they have no power supply built in) they rely on a very small induced current emitted by the scanner, basically they are the same as the microchip in cars ignition key, (NOT the remote unlocking facility which IS battery powered!) to operate.

They CANNOT be scanned from the roadside the scanners need to be VERY close to the microdot in order to induce a small amount of power into it in order to "read" the code it contains.

In my opinion they are total waste of money and don't forget they no NOT prevent theft, they just might assist in recovery, but it's such a slim chance I for one don't think it's worth the expenditure.

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Rang CRiS today as it is four weeks since I ordered the VIN chip and nothing had arrived. After a lot of umming and aahing and putting on holding I was told I ordered it on 16th. Oct,it went to the "manufacturers" on the 23rd,it takes four weeks to make,so that is about 23rd of Nov and then two weeks after that to deliver. That makes delivery about 7th. Dec or thereabouts,bit different from 28 days that I was originally told. All a bit amateurish really.

Ian

And you think that the Police are going to simply scan everywhere over EVERY caravan on the off chance they will find a microdot AND identify a stolen caravan????

Get real, these chips are totally passive (they have no power supply built in) they rely on a very small induced current emitted by the scanner, basically they are the same as the microchip in cars ignition key, (NOT the remote unlocking facility which IS battery powered!) to operate.

They CANNOT be scanned from the roadside the scanners need to be VERY close to the microdot in order to induce a small amount of power into it in order to "read" the code it contains.

In my opinion they are total waste of money and don't forget they no NOT prevent theft, they just might assist in recovery, but it's such a slim chance I for one don't think it's worth the expenditure.

Andy

Hi Andy. That was my conclusion all those years ago when I first received my pack.

That was also one of the reasons why I asked "would you really really want your caravan back"

I put my dots inside of the caravan where they could only be scanned/read by physically getting into the very location of the dots.

I personally believed that this was and still is an Insurance Company driven 'initiative' so as to avoid total payout/replacement caravan. Therefore if and when found their liability would be limited to repairs/reinstatement subject to parts being available.

Andy

The New chips are high powered and have a 5 mtr range and can be read without being stationary. . Video at 7. 30 on explains .

http://www. caravanfinder. co. uk/caravanfindertv/series/5/19-the-lawns-holiday-home-show

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

What the chap from the company (who is basically a salesman) ACTUALLY says is that the high powered (BY WHAT exactly?? They are passive devices, it doesn't have its own power source) chip can be scanned from UP TO 5m from the caravan. He does NOT state that it can be done from the roadside or that the caravan can be moving!

That's a cars length MAXIMUM under ideal conditions (which I will put a large sum of money on requires the caravan to be stationary) using the "special" equipment supplied to the Police. From previous experience these "special" bits of kit are NOT provided free. So ask yourselves how many police forces are going to invest in it, and more importantly how many scanners are each force going to buy (if any)

So you MIGHT have a force that has one of these scanners, what do you reckon the chances are that any officer is going to have the time to take it out and start scanning every caravan (from a MAXIMUM distance of 5m?) and are they going to be scanning at the exact time your stolen one drives past?? It's not an automatic scanner, so someone will need to physically holding it and operating it. Trust me that is NOT going to happen. A far more likely scenario is that if a suspected stolen caravan comes into police custody then at that point it MIGHT get scanned because there is a warning sticker on the window.

Or are you expecting police to tour around camp sites scanning all the caravans present???

Sorry folks its all smoke, mirrors, and clever sales patter in my personal view (from many years of dealing with crime) Don't lose sight of the fact that in no way will it PREVENT theft, but I accept it MIGHT assist in recovery.

I will certainly NOT be purchasing one, I put my trust in good quality wheel and hitch locks. They are not 100% effective but they DO take a considerable period of time to defeat and the one thing a thief doesn't want to do is hang around attracting attention to himself with an angle grinder attacking my locks!!!!

Wanderinglancastrian

Once an insurance company has paid out for a theft claim if the property is then recovered it becomes that insurers property. They will NOT try and give it back to you because they have already paid out the claim. Think in terms of you having a new TV that goes wrong, you take it back and get a new one under guarantee, the company won't come back in a weeks time and say "here's your old TV, we have repaired it so let's have the new one we let you have back please" are they?? Same with insurance payouts.

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Yeah right, a police officer is going to be waving one of these things out of the window whilst driving down the motorway are they????

It's NOT an automatic system, it may well be able to "read" a chip at 5 metres under totally ideal conditions, but in the "real" world????

My view is as I stated earlier, and, in the absence of irrefutable proof (like a test carried out independently by say a University) I struggle to believe that it will actually "read" the (totally passive and unpowered) chip in a passing caravan.

I would challenge the makers to video such a scenario and post it online to prove me wrong!! But I will not be holding my breath waiting!

If others feel differently then that's fine, I am just trying to add a touch of realistic analysis into this debate.

Remember the guy in the video is trying to sell his product. When asked about it being read as it passed by he hesitated and didn't actually say yes, rather, after a pause, his response was "That is entirely correct" is that an answer YOU would give to a straight question????? What's wrong with a straight "yes"???

Just askin!!!

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Yeah right, a police officer is going to be waving one of these things out of the window whilst driving down the motorway are they????

It's NOT an automatic system, it may well be able to "read" a chip at 5 metres under totally ideal conditions, but in the "real" world????

My view is as I stated earlier, and, in the absence of irrefutable proof (like a test carried out independently by say a University) I struggle to believe that it will actually "read" the (totally passive and unpowered) chip in a passing caravan.

I would challenge the makers to video such a scenario and post it online to prove me wrong!! But I will not be holding my breath waiting!

If others feel differently then that's fine, I am just trying to add a touch of realistic analysis into this debate.

Remember the guy in the video is trying to sell his product. When asked about it being read as it passed by he hesitated and didn't actually say yes, rather, after a pause, his response was "That is entirely correct" is that an answer YOU would give to a straight question????? What's wrong with a straight "yes"???

Just askin!!!

Andy

I feel I have to agree. The device used to detect the chip must be highly directional and even then it is not going to read the chip through an aluminium side-wall.

Rang CRiS today as it is four weeks since I ordered the VIN chip and nothing had arrived. After a lot of umming and aahing and putting on holding I was told I ordered it on 16th. Oct,it went to the "manufacturers" on the 23rd,it takes four weeks to make,so that is about 23rd of Nov and then two weeks after that to deliver. That makes delivery about 7th. Dec or thereabouts,bit different from 28 days that I was originally told. All a bit amateurish really.

Ian

Huh DONT get me on the merits/efficiency of the CRiS department !!!!!!!!

Regardless of the various views of the product if you purchase a 2016 caravan you get it anyway !

Bill

Regardless of the various views of the product if you purchase a 2016 caravan you get it anyway !

That's fair enough and entirely accurate. However the OP was whether anyone had purchased it for a PRE 2016 caravan! That's the question I responded to.

Andy

Hi Andy. Bill (bigbilly),I was remiss in my posts #2 #6 #12 in saying that YES my van was a pre 2016 caravan - indeed the caravan is/was a 2001 Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco.

Edited by AWanderingLancastrian

That's fair enough and entirely accurate. However the OP was whether anyone had purchased it for a PRE 2016 caravan! That's the question I responded to.

Andy

It may well 'dissuade' those that like other peoples stuff to go look elsewhere, for me I thought £25 hardly a deal breaker - I've just put £92 of diesel in my car ***** :rolleyes:

I feel I have to agree. The device used to detect the chip must be highly directional and even then it is not going to read the chip through an aluminium side-wall.

The instructions specifically say NOT to install the chip behind any metal wall - hidden up behind the front panel is the sensible place, also as it's facing forward, it can be read more easily as the caravan approaches the scanner.

• 2 weeks later...