Used Freelander Or Sportage ?

lazydaze

Hi, As discussed in my previous posts subject to some last minute details I should be the proud

owner of a Pegasus 534 with an unladen weight of approx 1247 Kgs, laden 1485 Kgs, I have a budget of £15000/16000 to buy the towing vehicle, this would buy me a 2012 HSE 2. 2 Freelander

or a 2012 KX3 2. 0 Sportage.

Both appeal but on paper the Freelander has more power plus a fair degree in reserve, the Sportage does the job much is near its limit, both these cars would be automatic. , the Kia would have 2years warranty remaining but this so complicated in the latter stages this has to be ignored.

I have no knowledge of either and would welcome your experiences .

Thank you.

Go for a test drive in both and the one that feels 'right' is the one you should buy - you have to live with it after all.

I would say that Freelanders didn't used to have a good reputation for reliability but that seems to have been sorted from what I am told. The only time I ever travelled in a Kia I nearly got seasick, but maybe that's me.

Have a look at the individual vehicle reviews at http://www. honestjohn. co. uk - he does the reviews in the Daily Telegraph (Saturday.)

My 2007 Freelander 2 towed my 1,500 kg Hobby with no bother and I've had no problems with the car since new (touch wood - it's going for a service tomorrow!).

Fuel consumption isn't great - about 30 solo and down to below 25 when towing. The ride is really good; I borrowed a Disco from a dealer when mine was in for service and that floated horribly compared to the Freelander.

I would never have guessed that you could have got a Freelander for the same price as a Sportage (of the same age). Is the FL2 much higher mileage?

Anyway, I'd choose the Freelander as they are lovely cars and great at towing. That said, I don't think the Sportage will struggle, kerbweight is about 1600kg and tow limit for the manual is listed as 2000kg (1600kg for auto). 134 bhp is adequate. The only criticism I've seen is soft rear ends.

I would never have guessed that you could have got a Freelander for the same price as a Sportage (of the same age). Is the FL2 much higher mileage?

Anyway, I'd choose the Freelander as they are lovely cars and great at towing. That said, I don't think the Sportage will struggle, kerbweight is about 1600kg and tow limit for the manual is listed as 2000kg (1600kg for auto). 134 bhp is adequate. The only criticism I've seen is soft rear ends.

Hi, Your right the freelander should be 2010/2011, not 2012 tried to edit this mistake but unsuccessful, both models hold their

price these are both higher spec with all the toys.

Hi, Your right the freelander should be 2010/2011, not 2012 tried to edit this mistake but unsuccessful, both models hold their

price these are both higher spec with all the toys.

Cheers, Both may be on the next shortlist, so good to know.

The ride is really good; I borrowed a Disco from a dealer when mine was in for service and that floated horribly compared to the Freelander.

Don't think I have ever heard anyone describe the Discovery ride as horribly floaty, smooth, comfy, limousine like but never floaty, I have driven a lot of cars over the years and I would say it has one of the best rides of any cars I have driven, admittedly it suffers from a bit of body roll in the bends but then it's a big beast so to be expected.

For the OP FL2 is a different class to the Kia and would be my choice if I didn't need the towing capability etc of the Discovery.

Edited by Mogwyth

I would go for a slightly lower spec 2013 freelander. They made vast improvements to the electronics - dash, satnav etc. You have the choice of the SD4 or the more powerful TD4. The TD4 is excellent in every respect but the SD4 still adequate. I wouldn’t go for anything other than a 2013 MY car.

I thought that the SD version of the 2. 2 engine was the more powerful of the two ?

I've got a 2009 TD GS auto which tows my 1,500 Kg caravan very well but did have a major problem with the Haldex unit and the rear diff. just after the warranty expired !

Bill

I replaced a 2008 SF with a 2012 FL2 SD HSE, the SF was larger in luggage space but the handling comfort and towing capability of the FL2 was superior all round, the Fl2 has 150Kg nose weight and the Sportage is 80Kg. My van is only 1350Kg at max load but the towing comfort and engine capability of the auto SD has to be believed, when you want to go it goes van or not, no worries half way alongside and having to change gear just seamless power and gear change. the main thing is the FL2 in auto form has a 2000Kg tow limit, the same as the manual version, you have to ask why most other manufacturers limit their autos to less than the manual version ( Sportage auto 1600Kg/ manual 2000KG) when towing. Many FL2 owners tow at 1800Kg with no problems, perhaps the LR trailer assist is very superior.

I thought that the SD version of the 2. 2 engine was the more powerful of the two ?

I've got a 2009 TD GS auto which tows my 1,500 Kg caravan very well but did have a major problem with the Haldex unit and the rear diff. just after the warranty expired !

Bill

Dead right. The SD4 is the more powerful of the two. Did LR pay for the repairs even thought the warranty had expired? The Haldex problem was well known at the time and LR are usually pretty good about that sort of thing.

I would go for a slightly lower spec 2013 freelander. They made vast improvements to the electronics - dash, satnav etc. You have the choice of the SD4 or the more powerful TD4. The TD4 is excellent in every respect but the SD4 still adequate. I wouldn’t go for anything other than a 2013 MY car.

Exactly what we did! You pay a lot more for a HSE. We bought a GS auto and it is perfect.

By the way TD 4 is 140 bhp. Whereas the SD 4 is 190 bhp.

We get 27. 5 towing

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I'm a wee bit biased towards the blue oval, but that kinda money would get you into a 2013 current shape Kuga

Titanium model has all the bells and whistles you will ever need

Just note what has been said about noseweight, only 80kg as against 140kg for the Freelander.

Dead right. The SD4 is the more powerful of the two. Did LR pay for the repairs even thought the warranty had expired? The Haldex problem was well known at the time and LR are usually pretty good about that sort of thing.

I had a lot of problems with LR but ended up on christian name terms with most of their customer support team. The car was 37 months old with just under 19,000 on the clock. LR eventually put just over £2,500 to the repair and gave me a voucher for £2,000 off of any brand new LR. (which I didn't take up). I must admit LR were good enough to tell me not to buy the new car from the dealer who had done the work as they knew about the voucher and would lose it in their margin. They advised going to a totally different dealer negotiating the best deal and then producing the voucher at the very last minute. The repairs still cost me about £1,000.

It hasn't put me off Freelanders and currently looking for a 2013 HSE SD auto.

Bill

Freelander 2 may well have a nose weight allowance of 140kg, but you can only use 100kg of it. AlKo and BPW A frames are restricted to 100kg.

Edited by Seaman

Freelander 2 may well have a nose weight allowance of 140kg, but you can only use 100kg of it. AlKo and BPW A frames are restricted to 100kg.

But you can add a couple of cycles on the tow bar as well, but other trailers have higher nose weights :)

Not correct.

Some BPW are 150kg.

For the OP.

I had a 2013 Sportage K3 for a week recently, while the car wasn't that bad I certainly would not buy one. Good points where the boot space is good and you get a spare, but the diesel engine is very crude, although it does the job.

Having recently test driven a 2015 Tucson auto, I have to say its a very good car, the 2013 Sportage does not compare to it IMO. Plus the NW limit is 100kg.

Edited by xtrailman

Hi, Thanks for all the replies, I had sought of made up my mind regarding the Freelander because of the quality and towing ability but the price was out of reach for a 2012 HSE Auto so the Sportage was second choice, but most of your comments reinforced my initial thoughts.

However I will need to spend more for the Freelander or as suggested choose a lower spec model.

I will also muddy the waters by looking at the Ford Kuga .