Sign in to follow this  
t5van

Saturday - Picked Up Our New To Us Van

Picked up out new to us Van. Rained all the way home. So Sunday was a day of cleaning.
post-68000-0-58008900-1447097613_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Great van the coachman pastiche built well hope you enjoy.

CHEERS DAZKIM

Very nice! :) That's a big hill you're going up ;)

• Like 4

I hate mobile fones, but i must say, that Transporter pulls like a train.

• Like 2

very nice.

very nice.

Greg, do have a Dixon Bate or something simmilar on your tow bracket, i was advised to have one fitted

Of away to Pembrey county Park this coming weekend, so get to try the Twig ariel, i recently watched a You tube video By Elddis and apparently the main let down is on the coaxal cable, apparently needs to be of good quality digital type coaxal cable.

I also tow with a T5 174hp. It tows very well. :) It is a little thirsty though, the worst I've seen is 22 MPG and the best is around 27 MPG which I suppose isn't that bad for a 2. 5 litre engine.

Edited by Tintaglia

Greg, do have a Dixon Bate or something simmilar on your tow bracket, i was advised to have one fitted

Why would any one need one with a caravan that has the ALKO stabliser fitted as standard?

Why would any one need one with a caravan that has the ALKO stabliser fitted as standard?

Delta . .... it's an adjustable tow bar . ... you can raise or lower the tow ball . .... most often seen on Land Rovers . ... the proper ones . ...

Cheers

Pete

post-69382-0-21690800-1447160072_thumb.jpg

Apologies, I don't know what a Dixon bate is!!

Or how to put pics up correctly.

Delta . .... it's an adjustable tow bar . ... you can raise or lower the tow ball . .... most often seen on Land Rovers . ... the proper ones . ...

Cheers

Pete

I think whoever advised T5van meant one of these. They act as a shock absorber for commercial vehicles to stop the hard suspension rattling the caravan to bits. ..

http://dixon-bate. co. uk/shop/gb/shocklink/25-dixon-bate-35t-universal-coup-.html

As said it sounds like a shocklink that protects the rear hard suspension transferring the road impacts to the caravan and warranty problems .

Dave

I didn't know they were called "Dixon Bate".

We have had a caravan only 14 months, and the main issue for me when looking at buying a caravan was towing with a van,i have one for my business and is also my daily ride.

I was made aware of the concerns over towing with a commercial and prior to purchasing and contacted numerous dealers, and the local mobile repair man (he tows with a sprinter). On each occasion i got basically the same reply, car derived vans and vans which could be classed as large family cars, kombi, double cabs,etc were of no concern to the warranty. They were more concerned with the likes of 3500kg+ vehicles (similar to the ones i see every day on the M18 towing new Swifts and Coachmans from Hull to the dealers).

Edited by 6206greg

Yes Guys its the shock link, the van, even combi, is classed comercial. The dealership have advised and showed me in the Coachman handbook where towing with a comercial vehical can elimate warranty claims. Apparently when the floor on one my vans delaminated ABI said it was caused by towing with 4 wheel drive.

The dixon bate shock can get you round the claims issue.

Picked up out new to us Van. Rained all the way home. So Sunday was a day of cleaning.

attachicon.gifimage. jpeg

Dixon-Bate is/was a trade name of the producing company. Well-known name by the older caravanning community!

Alan

If they are going to blame a 4x4 for damage to a caravan, given that lots of caravaners use them then it seem's to me the van is not well built at all.

In the handbook for my Avante, it say's to avoid towing with commercial vehicles, but makes no mention of not to tow with a 4x4.

Edited by Valley Commando

Then they tow brand new vans to dealerships with one or two on a flatbed and one on a towbar behind. Forked tongue comes to mind.

• Like 2

I believe the reference to commercial vehicles means those with cart type suspension on the rear. Most modern 4x4 utilise springs and struts or equivalent so shouldn't affect the caravan. Dixon Bate shock links, though a possible solution, might fall foul of EU type approval on modern vehicles as the whole assembly should receive type approval. Drop plates could do the same. I used to use a drop plate years ago until someone in insurance suggested that any item incorporated without type approval might negate an insurance claim, particularly if stability were suspected as a contributory cause.

Then they tow brand new vans to dealerships with one or two on a flatbed and one on a towbar behind. Forked tongue comes to mind.

I think you'll find if you look closely enough, all the manufacturers state the same, if not in the handbook it will be on their website in the T&C's of their warranty.

Absolutely, I wasn't picking out any particular brand.

Never felt the need for a shock link on the Navara I've been towing with for the last two years, but then I don't have a warranty to worry about! Going all old man and replacing it with a Volvo next month anyway.

Never felt the need for a shock link on the Navara I've been towing with for the last two years, but then I don't have a warranty to worry about! Going all old man and replacing it with a Volvo next month anyway.

You should get some lessons before you drive a Volvo, owing to the extra power after the Navara.

• Like 1

Seen sense at last ;)

Moving from a wannabe check shirt and redneck to suave, sharp north European.

• Like 2