Sign in to follow this  
gumdrop

Slik 340Dx Amt Alloy Tripod, Light And Rigid

I received my Slik 340DX AMT Tripod, very rigid and oh so light 6. 6lb. load today.

I bought a Slik SH806E pan tilt head with a QD plate 12lb. load to cap it off.

I cannot believe how light this tripod is, super job for an easy carry.

Hi gumdrop. There is such a massive difference in the pricing of this product - it beggars belief.

E'bay at £47. 50 and Wex Photographic at £99. 00 - the item from E'bay comes from Seoul POST FREE.

I did not look any further but I am sure that I could bring-up a lower price by doing so.

Good for you. That's a nice bit of kit that I hope will serve you well. I have a trusty old Velbon VS3 that has given sterling service over the years, and at just under 2Kg is no real problem to carry well off the beaten track. It lives in a case for a Slik 88-N-SMDB SSM3 so at least I recognise the name of yours :ph34r:

Can we look forward to seeing some super-steady pictures from you in the near future?

Gordon.

Hi Gordon. I too have an older tripod - it is an Interfit VGT-602. It is a three section aluminium tripod that closes down to 1. 270 metres/50" to 52. 5cm/203/4" and weighs a mere 1. 030kgs/2ib 4. 4ozs.

Mine came from Korea from Jung Sook Kim via e-bay price included p&p.

Good for you. That's a nice bit of kit that I hope will serve you well. I have a trusty old Velbon VS3 that has given sterling service over the years, and at just under 2Kg is no real problem to carry well off the beaten track. It lives in a case for a Slik 88-N-SMDB SSM3 so at least I recognise the name of yours :ph34r:

Can we look forward to seeing some super-steady pictures from you in the near future?

Gordon.

My son has my old Velbon VS3 very old but in superb nick, unfortunately

its replacement only had alloy legs, plastic for everything else (DF61)

I was attracted to the low price and excellent spec. of the Slik, again

it is so light yet very rigid, just right for carrying :D

Way back in the 1960s, I used to mess around with my dad's Velbon tripod. After he passed away in 2000, it lay forlorn in my brother's garage until I acquired it last year. A bit of a clean-up, and it works perfectly.

I now use it regularly, even though technology has moved on so much that my Nikon DSLR works a lot better in low light than my old film SLR used to.

Manfrotto 055AB with 488 rc2 weighing in at about 20 stone!

Hi Gordon. I too have an older tripod - it is an Interfit VGT-602.

My son has my old Velbon VS3 very old but in superb nick, unfortunately

its replacement only had alloy legs, plastic for everything else (DF61)

Yep, I believe the materials used for the older tripods were generally better quality and my Velbon VS3 has certainly stood the test of time.

I too also have a 'cheap and cheerful' (unamed) tripod with ally legs and plastic fittings. It's very light (350g), and only just strong enough to support the camera, but good enough for occasional use.

Gordon

The Velbon DF 61 was advertised as an heavyweight aluminium tripod,

upon receipt only the legs were aluminium the head was all plastic.

Plastics are very good nowadays but good quality castings will always

win a man over (except for the ones that like to argue :D )

Plastics start out shiny but frequent handling dulls the finish and just looks

unpleasant, never to be properly restored.

* the Slik tripod may be rated at 8. 4lbs not the 6. 6lb. that I mentioned earlier.

Sign in to follow this