New Barcelona

TinShack

Well I've only gone and done it! I've ordered a Barcelona for delivery in the spring. Fingers crossed it arrives on time and is dry.

So, a few questions until I download the manual -

1. I think it comes with a jack - is that right?

2. It doesn't come with a classic alarm, just the Tracker retrieve. That's no use to me since it's kept in storage. I would never know it had gone until I went over to prep for a holiday. I've always had a Sargent alarm before, and also on the current van a Phantom tracker. That's been less than successful, as it caused high current drain on the Sargent and storage has iffy mobile coverage. Sometimes a battery disconnection wouldn't be reported until I moved the van maybe a month later. Maybe a newer version with an external mobile aerial would be better. Any recommendations?

3. How does the water system work? Are there microswitches on the taps, or is there a pressure switch and accumulator? I understand there's also a pump in the on-board tank as well as the aquaroll, so how does the system know which pump to energise? Float switch? That's enough for now, no doubt there'll be more to follow.

TS

Can the dealer you're buying it from not answer those questions?

You could download the manual from Bailey - it may not answer all of your questions but it should cover most of them.

Well I've only gone and done it! I've ordered a Barcelona for delivery in the spring. Fingers crossed it arrives on time and is dry.

So, a few questions until I download the manual -

1. I think it comes with a jack - is that right?

2. It doesn't come with a classic alarm, just the Tracker retrieve. That's no use to me since it's kept in storage. I would never know it had gone until I went over to prep for a holiday. I've always had a Sargent alarm before, and also on the current van a Phantom tracker. That's been less than successful, as it caused high current drain on the Sargent and storage has iffy mobile coverage. Sometimes a battery disconnection wouldn't be reported until I moved the van maybe a month later. Maybe a newer version with an external mobile aerial would be better. Any recommendations?

3. How does the water system work? Are there microswitches on the taps, or is there a pressure switch and accumulator? I understand there's also a pump in the on-board tank as well as the aquaroll, so how does the system know which pump to energise? Float switch? That's enough for now, no doubt there'll be more to follow.

TS

Congratulations I'm sure you will love your new Mobile Holiday Home, roll on Spring 2016

You pay a lot of money and so the dealer should be able to answer all these and many more. Get him to work for his money!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I'm sure the dealer could answer the questions - or at least a technician might, I'm sure the salesman won't! They aren't very local though, not too impressed with the most local anyway.

But I was hoping to trigger a dialogue with owners, that's usually more useful than an official dealer line. What about recommendations for alarms for instance?

TS

Very envious! Congratulations!

Just an observation regarding your alarm- if you have a tracker then (unless I'm missing something), that's a good thing. mthe unicorn will have a solar panel so the tracker won't drain the battery. If you had an alarm fitted, you wouldn't hear it with the van being in storage. If you are on an insured storage location such as cassoa then it's monitored by CCTV. Your car registration should be associated with your storage so the site would know when something iffy is going on? You'd get contacted then the tracker would let you know where your van is? Just a thought more than anything. Then again, a tracker would mean you'd most likely get the van back. .. Some people wouldn't feel comfortable having it back if it's been damaged or used by someone else.

I'm sure there are systems out there which you could customise and that would contact you with any unauthorised movement of the van. Maybe someone has one on the forum they could talk to you about.

Regarding the other questions though- straight of my head! Sorry!

Hope you enjoy the van when you get it! :-)

The U3 tracker isn't connected to the van battery, it's a stand alone unit with it's own built-in battery which is supposed to last five years.

There is no alarm system either, you have to discover the van is missing and tell Tracker to activate the unit so they can start tracking it. This in my opinion is useless especially if the van is in storage and you only visit it once a week or less - a van that's been missing for a week or a month (or even an hour) could easily have the unit removed and chucked away so rendering it completely ineffective. I haven't bothered to pay the subs for my Cadiz III, the insurance discount was only around £25 whereas the Tracker subs were close on £100.

When I forgot to disarm the alarm on my U1 I was 25 miles down the road by the time Tracker got round to phoning me.

The U3 tracker isn't connected to the van battery, it's a stand alone unit with it's own built-in battery which is supposed to last five years.

There is no alarm system either, you have to discover the van is missing and tell Tracker to activate the unit so they can start tracking it. This in my opinion is useless especially if the van is in storage and you only visit it once a week or less - a van that's been missing for a week or a month (or even an hour) could easily have the unit removed and chucked away so rendering it completely ineffective. I haven't bothered to pay the subs for my Cadiz III, the insurance discount was only around £25 whereas the Tracker subs were close on £100.

When I forgot to disarm the alarm on my U1 I was 25 miles down the road by the time Tracker got round to phoning me.

I completely agree- what a waste of time! I thought it would be on all the time. My own view having my van in storage is that having the wheel lock and hitch lock on is enough for me. If they manage to take it with this security broken off it, good luck to them! Being on a CASSOA site (gold) myself, the insurance claim wouldn't be too hard and I'm one of those people who (just like a car), if it's been stolen and recovered, I don't think I'd have the same look on it again.

Not a waste of time IMHO. Alarms are a deterrent, but to the benefit of the insurer more than the insured. Had one on my last van, didn't use half the time as it could false trigger to the annoyance of neighbours. So for those times, my insurance was void. Contrast with the Tracker Retrieve, it might be ineffective but the insurers don't think so as they still give a discount, and I'm not in breach of their policy.

Anyway:

Jack, yes, supplied, but NB if you have an AWD mover fitted (needed), the jacking points will be removed, rendering it useless. Get a lock n level as you'll need it for the wheel locks (or milenco aluminium).

Water, is pressure switch/accumulator. There's a pump in the internal tank & external pump. Rocker switch on control panel to select which to use. Internal is filled using external pump and flicking (inconvenient) valve to supply tank rather than taps - alternatively stick hose in top.

To confirm, yes a jack is supplied but useless if mover fitted. Replace manual water valve with electric one as soon as possible then switching between internal and external tanks is simple The system is much quieter than was previously the case with the onboard pump.

An excellent 'van, we're more than pleased with our S3 Cartegena.

Jack, yes, supplied, but NB if you have an AWD mover fitted (needed), the jacking points will be removed, rendering it useless. Get a lock n level as you'll need it for the wheel locks (or milenco aluminium).

Water, is pressure switch/accumulator. There's a pump in the internal tank & external pump. Rocker switch on control panel to select which to use. Internal is filled using external pump and flicking (inconvenient) valve to supply tank rather than taps - alternatively stick hose in top.

Thanks, really useful - that's what I was looking forl.

I'm only planning to fit a two motor mover since our storage location and most pitches aren't too tight - I usually just reverse where possible. That would leave the jacking points in place. Not having had a twin axle before I'm hoping the two motor system will suffice. I have a friend who seems to manage OK with a two motor version on a Wyoming. He just leans on a corner and shuffles the controls to & fro if needing to tighten the turning radius.

Since I'll need to fit both Alko wheel locks it would be a royal pain to lose the jacking points.

As far as alarms are concerned, my old Phantom unit relied on the Sargent alarm to arm/disarm the tracker. But there was a weird issue whereby even if the Phantom supply fuse was removed, the Sargent would sometimes draw 150mA and cause reduced van battery life between charges. Removing the trigger wire between the tracker and alarm stopped it. For that reason and the somewhat unreliable operation of the tracker I removed it and discontinued the service.

Phantom did offer me a newer design unit for £150 plus fitting costs but since I was considering changing the van I declined.

To be honest a simple version that texted me when a tremble alarm or location change via GPS would be fine by me, provided I could simply disarm it before travel. Van battery monitoring and alarming via SMS might be useful too. I've seen a few on the usual auction house but they haven't really filled me with confidence.

I did find the manufacturer of the Phantom unit I have and it looks like you could simply reprogram it to notify you of alarms directly by SMS rather than through a monitoring service. The message also includes GPS coordinates.

TS

Edited by TinShack

To confirm, yes a jack is supplied but useless if mover fitted. Replace manual water valve with electric one as soon as possible then switching between internal and external tanks is simple The system is much quieter than was previously the case with the onboard pump.

An excellent 'van, we're more than pleased with our S3 Cartegena.

What sort of electric valve did you fit? I assume a motorised rather than solenoid type.

A friend has bought the Cartagena and it was the reason we considered either the Cartagena or Barcelona. We really liked them both, the Barcelona finally winning out because of the increased workspace opposite the kitchen.

Not sure which of us is going to end up climbing over the other during the night! I've done it over the last 7 years on the front make-up beds. But the fixed bed will swap us around.

TS

Very envious! Congratulations!

Hope you enjoy the van when you get it! :-)

Thanks - we're quite excited! We've never bought a new van before, and not a twin axle either.

I've been retired a few years so hoping for even more weeks away next year.

TS

What sort of electric valve did you fit? I assume a motorised rather than solenoid type.

A friend has bought the Cartagena and it was the reason we considered either the Cartagena or Barcelona. We really liked them both, the Barcelona finally winning out because of the increased workspace opposite the kitchen.

Not sure which of us is going to end up climbing over the other during the night! I've done it over the last 7 years on the front make-up beds. But the fixed bed will swap us around.

TS

THis is the one I fitted -

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/1pcs-Motorized-ball-valve-G1-2-DN15-2-way-CR02-electrical-valve-/121276272547?hash=item1c3ca10fa3:g:bW4AAOSw~bFWPDeP

You can't use a solenoid valve, it has to be a motorised valve.

Looks like I can't quote the entire web address - look on Ebay for::

Motorized ball valve, G1/2” DN15,2 way,CR02, electrical valve

It cost £12. 05 and I ordered it on a Monday and received it on Friday (from China)

Thanks for that. It seems to be just a on/off valve so do you use two of them? And have you added separate switching or tried to pick up the existing pump wires?

TS

Thanks for that. It seems to be just a on/off valve so do you use two of them? And have you added separate switching or tried to pick up the existing pump wires?

TS

Hi, That's all the manual valve is - it's either open or shut. I've added a seperate 3 way switch (like this)

SODIAL® 6-Terminals 3 Position ON/OFF/ON DPDT Boat Rocker Switch 16A 250VAC 20A 125VAC

On Amazon, cost about £1. 10

plus a warning light and float switch to show when the tank is full.

You only need a live feed plus a return so I used the feeds to the pump, that way the system is isolated when the pump master switch is turned off. Took me about 30 minutes to do the job. It was much easier to do than the system that I fitted to my Cartegena 2.

plus a warning light and float switch to show when the tank is full.

You added a float switch to the on-board tank? If it had changeover contacts I suppose you could use it to operate the aquaroll pump to use them both in tandem.

TS

You added a float switch to the on-board tank? If it had changeover contacts I suppose you could use it to operate the aquaroll pump to use them both in tandem.

TS

True, but that was too complicated for me - I've just used it to illuminate a warning light when the tank is full - it saves having to peer underneath the 'van waiting for water to run out of the overflow.

THis is the one I fitted -

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/1pcs-Motorized-ball-valve-G1-2-DN15-2-way-CR02-electrical-valve-/121276272547?hash=item1c3ca10fa3:g:bW4AAOSw~bFWPDeP

You can't use a solenoid valve, it has to be a motorised valve.

Looks like I can't quote the entire web address - look on Ebay for::

Motorized ball valve, G1/2” DN15,2 way,CR02, electrical valve

It cost £12. 05 and I ordered it on a Monday and received it on Friday (from China)

Did you take the live feed for the valve from the pump too? I'd been thinking of t-ing into the power feed for the Alde, but that could be an alternative.

The lamp in my 'van is just on the front of the seat base, just by the heater. I've had to cut a small hole in the woodwork and have placed the switch to control the valve in the same place.

On the Unicorn 3 twin axle models, the onboard tank is filled by using the Aquaroll pump. As standard, you have to reach under the seat and turn a manual valve to enable the tank to be filled. All my system does is to replace the manual valve with an electric one. This is a very simple modification not like the one I had to design to put an onboard tank in my previous Unicorn 2.

I'm only planning to fit a two motor mover since our storage location and most pitches aren't too tight - I usually just reverse where possible. That would leave the jacking points in place. Not having had a twin axle before I'm hoping the two motor system will suffice. I have a friend who seems to manage OK with a two motor version on a Wyoming. He just leans on a corner and shuffles the controls to & fro if needing to tighten the turning radius.

Since I'll need to fit both Alko wheel locks it would be a royal pain to lose the jacking points.

I think it's a mistake to fit a single axle mover on a twin axle. If you're paying the large amount of money for a new Barcelona why scrimp on the cost of an AWD mover. I have a direct comparision because a friend has a Barcelona with an SA mover and my Cartegena has an AWD one (both Powertouch). I can move and park mine in a fraction of the time he takes. I fit the ALKO locks with no trouble - a small trolley jack fits between the wheels, jack it up and they fit easily.

I think it's a mistake to fit a single axle mover on a twin axle. If you're paying the large amount of money for a new Barcelona why scrimp on the cost of an AWD mover.

It's not the money that made me choose a SA mover, it's because I wanted to keep the rear jacking points. I see two problems with a trolley jack, one is the weight, mine must weigh at least 25kg, and the other is the lifting arc the jack travels through. It requires the jack to be on a long, hard surface so it can travel inwards on the wheels as the arm lifts up & backwards. Otherwise it tries to pull the caravan towards you. The Alko jack can simply stand on a small wood block if you're pitched on gravel or soft ground and do a straight lift.

Can you get a gravel board or old floorboard under the jack when you use it? What are you lifting on, I assume you can't get the lifting pad under an axle tube if putting it between the wheels? Is there some chassis reinforcing plate where you lift?

I have a direct comparision because a friend has a Barcelona with an SA mover and my Cartegena has an AWD one (both Powertouch). I can move and park mine in a fraction of the time he takes. I fit the ALKO locks with no trouble - a small trolley jack fits between the wheels, jack it up and they fit easily.

The Truma mover video shows clearly the better turning radius of a 4 motor mover, nearly half that of the 2 motor version in fact, so I would have chosen that option except for the above. I am in some trepidation I must say having no personal experience of twin axle vans with movers. My SA vans will of course turn on a sixpence! As a counterpoint to your experience we have some friends who often travels to the same sites as us and he seems to manage OK with a 2 motor Powertouch.

TS

I have a twin axle and i use a bottle jack to fit the wheel locks, my bottle jack weighs only 2kg and is rated at 4 ton, i also do not have a motor mover, never needed one.