Gas Pipe Extension

Studee

Hi. We live in our caravan and so we use lots of gas. We would like to use a 47kg bottle which would obviously stand outside the van. Anyone know how to change short pipe for a long one to reach the bottle? Thanks.

Hi if your talking about a touring caravan i believe the longest flexible pipe the regulations allow is about a metre long however you can purchase longer lengths from ebay or maybe even you local caravan accessory supplier. ..it is also important that the pipe is changed every (not sure but I think) 5 years . ..others on hear will give you the exact time . ..hope this helps PS both ends of the pipe can be connected with jubilee clips and can be tested for leaks with soapy water . .

Colin

Edited by colin4unow

Hi. We live in our caravan and so we use lots of gas. We would like to use a 47kg bottle which would obviously stand outside the van. Anyone know how to change short pipe for a long one to reach the bottle? Thanks.

When we lived in our caravan, we bought the fittings from a caravan accessory shop and the hose from B & Q. We had the bottle inside the awning so hose was about 3m long. Not many sites will allow a 47kg to stand outside where if it fell over could injure someone.

Not many sites will allow a 47kg to stand outside where if it fell over could injure someone.

Whilst that is an issue the real and immediate danger is that it would no longer be a vapour take off cylinder but a liquid one with very serious consequences if in the normal in use open valve situation. It can of course be in a frame such that falling over is impossible.

Go to the suppliers of the large bottle. ..most will carry such items.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

When my friend was living in his caravan the site bought in 47 Kg bottles for sale but they had to be secured up-right, this was usually by a chain through a grab-handle. He simply removed the pigtail and re-used the parts using a longer hose and jubilee clips.

I believe your caravan has a bulk head regulator and would need a high pressure gas pipe, one suitable for wet gas. As the pipe will be at bottle pressure it should also have proper crimped connections not jubilee clips.

I wouldn't like to use a 47kg bottle as the bottle off take would be higher than the gauge and because of the danger of it falling over. A 13kg or a 19gk would be safer bet. However that's my opinion.

I would look into the ins and outs of buying a 30kg bottle mounted regulator

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I believe your caravan has a bulk head regulator and would need a high pressure gas pipe, one suitable for wet gas. As the pipe will be at bottle pressure it should also have proper crimped connections not jubilee clips.

I wouldn't like to use a 47kg bottle as the bottle off take would be higher than the gauge and because of the danger of it falling over. A 13kg or a 19gk would be safer bet. However that's my opinion.

I would look into the ins and outs of buying a 30kg bottle mounted regulator

Surely whether a 6kg or 47kg the pressure is still the same? Although we had a bulkhead regulator, we also had one on the bottle. The hose shoudl have a loop in it lower than the bulkhead regulator so valid point to prevent regulator clogging up.

Just to add, we later changed to having a 19kg bottle feed the caravan via the bulkhead regulator and the 47kg bottle was used solely for the gas fire in the awning which meant we did not have to change it as often.

The bottle must be secure for the reasons others have already said. If it falls over someone could be hurt, and as said the gas would become liquid.

A bottle regulator can be used but it must be installed correctly by someone competent to do it. I assume you want to use a Propane bottle and this will take a 37mb regulator. A low pressure hose can be taken from the bottle regulator directly through one of the holes in the floor of the bottle locker to the low pressure pipe adjacent to the bulk head regulator, supplying your caravan. This will by pass the bulkhead regulator. The door of the gas bottle locker can be secured as usual.

Alternatively, you can buy a high pressure hose up to 1. 5 M length and connect this from the bottle to your bulkhead regulator just the same as your existing hose. The disadvantage of this is that you will not be able to shut the gas bottle locker door properly as the hose will be routed that way.

Again I advise that any work carried out on your gas system must only be done by a competent person.

Edited by Ern

Having seen a tall gas bottle fall over (with a heart stopping clang and thud)

on a static caravan (and tear away whatever it was chained to) I would be

disinclined to have anything but a professionally made hose, there are several

companies that make them up to order.

Thanks everyone. May see how much it is to get someone to do it or stick to 13kg bottle.

Dave,

Can you point me to what law stipulates this?

I have heard it so many times and nobody has ever said which law I would be breaking.

Regulations regarding type approval are the things broken, not the law. This makes the caravan not to specification but breaking the law?

John

Thanks everyone. May see how much it is to get someone to do it or stick to 13kg bottle.

Begs the question, under current regulatory rules can you get any one to do it for you?

To me it is very much a no no, not something I would consider doing even if allowed to as a DIYer.

Edited by JTQ

The 450mm length for a pig tail is a recommendation (nothing more) included in NCC (National Caravan Council is a commercial traders association) standard. It is definitely NOT a legal requirement. Hoses are readily available up to 1. 5m length, but can be made to order at any length. No one is breaking any laws by making, selling, buying, fitting, or using them. Gas bottles of all sorts of sizes are legally and safely used by many people. Bottle regulators and low pressure hoses of any length are legally available.

Edited by Ern

A bottle regulator can be used but it must be installed correctly by someone competent to do it. I assume you want to use a Propane bottle and this will take a 37mb regulator.

Why would you need someone competent to fit a bottle regulator as it is the same as if exchanging gas bottles in the front locker?

Whist editing, I mixed up some words

Why would you need someone competent to fit a bottle regulator as it is the same as if exchanging gas bottles in the front locker?

• 1 year later...

The 450mm length for a pig tail is a recommendation (nothing more) included in NCC (National Caravan Council is a commercial traders association) standard. It is definitely NOT a legal requirement. Hoses are readily available up to 1. 5m length, but can be made to order at any length. No one is breaking any laws by making, selling, buying, fitting, or using them. Gas bottles of all sorts of sizes are legally and safely used by many people. Bottle regulators and low pressure hoses of any length are legally available.

Hopefully somebody is still reading this. ..

My caravan is serviced annually every year by the same dealer. Since purchase there has been no change in the gas arrangements, which were a Gaslow Automatic Changeover Head feeding 2 x 750mm high quality stainless steel pigtails.

During the latest service, the dealer removed all of the above and advised that this was NOT legal - the pigtails MUST be 450mm max.

The new 450mm high pressure rubber pigtails now been fitted, BUT, I believe that the installation is now LESS safe.

Whereas the 750mm pigtails had gentle curves to reach the gas bottles, the 450mm have quite tight turns placing more stress on the pipes and the crimped connections.

Also, whereas it was possible to safely secure the 750mm pigtails whilst travelling, always without the gas bottles due to noseweight, by wrapping the gas bottle securing straps around them, the new pigtails just hang and flap in the air!.

So, am I safer complying with what I have been told are the regulations, I think not!

To quote the common and somewhat boring and meaningless quote, I am sure lessons will be learned. ...

Comments much appreciated

Edited by wiz2003

Wiz2003

Did you ask exactly which Act of Parliament said the pigtails must be a max 450mm? I bet they can't tell you.

Tom

It now is legal and complies for insurance purposes . 450 mm is the maximum high pressure hose legal length and 750 mm is used for gas cylinders that slide out on a frame which is mainly on Motorhomes .

Dave

EN 1949 refers.

Calor data sheet here: https://www. calor. co. uk/media/wysiwyg/PDF/using_gas_safely_in_caravans. pdf See top of page 3

450mm or 750mm for a slide out cylinder on new equipment, but any length for aftermarket

Edited by Wunny

"During the latest service, the dealer removed all of the above and advised that this was NOT legal - the pigtails MUST be 450mm max."

Gas safe regs don't apply to private touring caravans.

knarf

Wiz2003

Did you ask exactly which Act of Parliament said the pigtails must be a max 450mm? I bet they can't tell you.

Tom

No, sorry, the man I saw said that his engineer had recently been in a course and had been told this. ...

I was miffed that they stripped it all out without telephoning first. ...

"During the latest service, the dealer removed all of the above and advised that this was NOT legal - the pigtails MUST be 450mm max."

Gas safe regs don't apply to private touring caravans.

knarf

I understand, but clearly there is some doubt here. I want to have the best system installed, which I believe is the quality 750mm pigtails, but, in the event of an insurance claim, do not want to be told that my claim has been rejected due to non compliance with regs. ..

I dont use Calor Gas, does that mean that the Calor Gas "Technical Publication" doesnt apply to me?

What Health and Safety Department produced the Technical Publication?