Online Vehicle Tax Renewal Issue

OWOMW

I got my V11 from the DVLA and tried to tax my car online today - and failed.

WWW. gov. uk/vehicletax says I don't have a current MoT, but when I go to the MoT history website https://www. gov. uk/check-mot-history it says I do.

My current MoT expires 22nd November, so is there a minimum period - I'm sure I taxed my car at about this time last year.

When does your road tax run out? If it's 30 Nov, then you are trying to tax your vehicle from 1 Dec 15 to 30 Nov 16. There again, if your car's tax has already run-out, or is about to, then blame it on computers :blink: .

It's because the MOT is due in 14 days.

You must have a current MOT on the day the tax starts, i. e. Dec 1st.

My motorhome tax runs out end November and waiting for DVLA invitation to renew it, thought I would have received it by now?

They post them - not exactly a reliable means of communication these days

I've renewed the car tax on the family fleet at least two times over (five cars . .. so that's ten times) the online system has always worked a treat. I don't like spending the money, but the DVLA do make it very easy . .. well thats my expereince.

They post them once no reminders, if you don't remember to tax your wehicle then they send a fixed penalty notice, whether you have used the vehicle or not. Its a sorn or taxed. I was in the heart unit after an attack, lost my licence for 6 months and car sat in the garage and couldn't do either until I got out,but it didn't cut any ice with the dvla pay up and shut up was their advice.

My motorhome tax runs out end November and waiting for DVLA invitation to renew it, thought I would have received it by now?

Received mine today.

Tax just renewed itself on my wife's BMW. No reminder and we'd completely forgot until the money went out of the bank a couple of days ago.

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Tax just renewed itself on my wife's BMW. No reminder and we'd completely forgot until the money went out of the bank a couple of days ago.

Lee

And that is a good example of how the 'new' system is actually an improvement. :)

I am a fan of the new system. We have both vehicles on the monthly direct debit. Lovely Jubbly.

I had the same with the Rio, tried to tax on line but rejected as it needed an mot before the 1st of October when the tax was due.

Only consolation is the Rio is £0 to tax and it passed its 1st mot.

When does your road tax run out? If it's 30 Nov, then you are trying to tax your vehicle from 1 Dec 15 to 30 Nov 16. There again, if your car's tax has already run-out, or is about to, then blame it on computers :blink: .

It's because the MOT is due in 14 days.

You must have a current MOT on the day the tax starts, i. e. Dec 1st.

Are the right answers.

I'm a bit of a dummy :blink:

I am a fan of the new system. We have both vehicles on the monthly direct debit. Lovely Jubbly.

Only thing is you pay more when on a direct debit.

Why is it only government items (TV licence car tax) that charge more when on a D/D scheme. Mind you so do insurance companies.

I still keep records of when road tax insurance and MOT are due then pay them in full thus saving the added on interest.

My neighbour had to run up to the local garage yesterday as he found he had been running his car without an MOT for two months. No reminder apparently. His tax runs on a different date.

My neighbour had to run up to the local garage yesterday as he found he had been running his car without an MOT for two months. No reminder apparently. His tax runs on a different date.

You have never been given MOT reminders - nothing has changed - it is your own personal responsibility.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

You have never been given MOT reminders - nothing has changed - it is your own personal responsibility.

No I know but he changed his car and has always had the MOT at the same time as his tax runs out. He is 81!!

This has happened to me.

Got the reminder yesterday but got the same as you,no mot for this vehicle.

Its booked in for the mot next week so will try again then.

Do not remember this happening in previous years so maybe some rules have changed.

malc

No car tax here in France, paid I think €382 when we first registered the car.

Controle tecnique (MOT) is every 2 years cost I think was €57.

I know the motorways have tolls but you only pay those if you use them.

Dave

No car tax here in France, paid I think €382 when we first registered the car.

Controle tecnique (MOT) is every 2 years cost I think was €57.

I know the motorways have tolls but you only pay those if you use them.

Dave

I'm sure if you ask them nicely, DVLA will let you use ours.

Mrs Townie had this happen, so I've put it on the wall calendar to book her MOT one month early and get it post dated so that she can tax the car.

Mike.

Mrs Townie had this happen, so I've put it on the wall calendar to book her MOT one month early and get it post dated so that she can tax the car.

Mike.

You can't get a MOT post dated. However, you can get a MOT up to one month before the expiry date and the new MOT will run from the expiry date of the old one.

With regard to tax, the key requirement is that the MOT is valid on the date the new tax starts.

Brian